Help Me Please!!! Java Problems.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dpa62

Help Me Please!!! Java Problems.

Post by dpa62 »

I have tried and tried to no end to try and get Java to work with Mozilla and Firebird.
I give up. Why can't they just make Mozilla to work with Java like all the other browsers?
I am not proficiant enough with computers to go into the registry and enter the patch.
I really wanted to give all the Mozilla products a try but this Java thing has got me
so frustrated. Right now I have 1.4. 2_01 and 1_02 on my computer and Java will not
work with Mozilla or Firebird. Somebody please explain to me how to edit the registry key
so that I can come back to Mozilla. I am using Netscape now and well you know, it's way
too bloated. Thanks for your help.

David A.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

The Mozilla installer alters the registry for you. If you've installed Mozilla, There's no need to modify the registry. What version of windows are you using. Do you get any errors when you run the Java installer. Which version of the Java installer are you using - online, off-line or .xpi
AMusingFool

Re: Help Me Please!!! Java Problems.

Post by AMusingFool »

Have you tried re-installing the JVM (or JRE) after installing Mozilla?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Personally, I've found Java 1.4.2_x rather finnicky still. So I use Java 1.4.1_06, which is my recommended version unless you absolutely need something in 1.4.2_x.
dahveed3

Post by dahveed3 »

If you go to java.sun.com and download Java 1.4.2.02, that version has been updated to automatically work with Mozilla. Simply uninstall Java Web Start and Java 1.4.2.01, reboot, and install Java 1.4.2.02. If you check the Java applet in Windows Control Panel, you'll see that it now has a specific Mozilla checkoff, unlike previous versions which had a Netscape checkbox. You'll see it's already checked, so you don't have to do anything. I never could get a 1.4.2 version of Java to work with Netscape or Mozilla on Windows XP (although they worked with Windows 9x) until 1.4.2.02. I would update to the 1.4.2 series, since it now works.

Dennis
codyjoe

Post by codyjoe »

I had problems too, until I created another user account, before I was using just the default, and java gave me all kind of problems. When I set up another user account, all the crazy stuff stopped.
herman

Post by herman »

Jack wrote:Personally, I've found Java 1.4.2_x rather finnicky still. So I use Java 1.4.1_06, which is my recommended version unless you absolutely need something in 1.4.2_x.

I found a few Bugzilla bugs with 1.4.2_01, one bug with 1.4.2_02, but today I found a new plugin, Java 1.4.2_03. Perhaps you want to give it a try? And file a bug, if it is still crashing on your favourite sites.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

herman
herman

Re: Help Me Please!!! Java Problems.

Post by herman »

dpa62 wrote:I have tried and tried to no end to try and get Java to work with Mozilla and Firebird.
I give up. Why can't they just make Mozilla to work with Java like all the other browsers?

They are making Mozilla to work with other browsers.
If you install Mozilla, it should recognize a installed SUN Java, if you install Java, it should ask you for which browsers to install.
dpa62 wrote:I am not proficiant enough with computers to go into the registry and enter the patch.

That is the first hint you are using windows. It is still unknown, if you are using Win95, Win98, WinNT, Win2k, WinXP.
Please tell which version of Windows you are using, and which browsers, i.e. Netscape 7.0.x or Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.4.1, or 1.5, or 1.6a, or a current nightly.
The Mozilla installer versions are making the registry entries, the Mozilla zip version as the Firebird zip version don´t. I´m also not sure if the Firebird exe versions are doing a full install cycle, like cleaning up directories, and registry, or are just selfextracting zips.

more about installing Java at: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html
and for zip versions:
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/phoenix.html

dpa62 wrote:I really wanted to give all the Mozilla products a try but this Java thing has got me
so frustrated. Right now I have 1.4. 2_01 and 1_02 on my computer and Java will not
work with Mozilla or Firebird. Somebody please explain to me how to edit the registry key
so that I can come back to Mozilla. I am using Netscape now and well you know, it's way
too bloated. Thanks for your help.

David A.

Which Netscape are you using? 4.7, 7.0, 7.1?
Which Mozilla, Firebird?
Type about: into the location bar, and post the result.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
To see if the browser recognizes Java, type about:plugins into the location bar, and post the results:
Java Plug-in 1.4.2_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

If you see Java there, it should work. If it doesn´t work on a site, test other sites. Maybe the code of the site is broken, they´ve got IE-only Java and ignore all other citizens of the internet.

herman
The Zen Archer

Java problems here too

Post by The Zen Archer »

I recently reinstalled Windows 98SE and all apps, including Firebird. I have managed to get Flash, Shockwave and Java 1.4.2_03 working in IE, and Flash and Shockwave in Firebird. But Java will NOT install into Firebird, which is strange, because it did the first time I installed Firebird.

The Java control panel applet indicates Mozilla (and Netscape) as a browser choice but when checked the applet reports an error. I am running Firebird 0.7 and have installed the Java registry patch.

I have now uninstalled and re-installed Java three times with the same result. I've read the stickies.

!pleH

:er:
chrisp9au

Java not working also!

Post by chrisp9au »

Hi, it seems this is a common problem?

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro with SP3, Mozilla 1.5, and have had installed Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_02 after visiting the 'Sky and Telescope' website and attempting to access one of their online functions. It told me to click to get the plugin. After a long slow process it told me the install was successful. Windows Add & Remove programs shows Java as installed. Using the Mozilla 'about plugins' function tells me that only the default Mozilla plugin and the Adobe Acrobat plugins are installed. I have checked the 'edit preferences' option to ensure that Java is enabled. The link that is refusing to run is: http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/almanac/# and the 'view skychart' option.
Where do I go next?

Thanks in anticipation!
Chris