quasi newbie desires specialized help

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Mike_Novack

quasi newbie desires specialized help

Post by Mike_Novack »

I am in the process of designing our migration from Beonex to Mozilla 1.5 At this point I have discovered that getting the new application set up and tested while still leaving the current one unaffected is NOT quite as simple as cloning profiles.

a) I see where I set the directory where Mozilla looks for local folders. But nothing is showing where I see (in Beonex) a specification for where the account stuff is stored (on the local machine). The button is there, no window with a path name.
Doesn't show up until/unless I create an account? (my guess)
Of course in testing I "see" the account stuff resulting from cloning the Beonex profile folder but if I test udner THOSE conditions I would be affecting the curretn 'production' app. Also I need to know how to get all the Mozilla data stuff into a single folder (for easy backup/recovery)

b) I don't have a LOT of different things I need to know how to migrate. Bookmarks I know how to bring in at the point of migration (so that Mozilla when it goes live will have the same set as the fiunal use of Beonex Communicator). The local folder directory I'll just copy into the Mozilla data file and point to. Don't have a lot of other stuff to worry about, but......
Rules --- where are they stored? I don't have that many filter rules but doing this right I shouldn't have to hand copy any.
Account directory --- this has me more or less stumped. I'm not seeing one specified and the test Mozilla is still pointing to my Beonex one. Probably from the profile cloning.Yes, there's a 'button' but no window containing a path.
Doesn't show up until/unless I create a new account?
Meanwhile during this phase of testing, does anybody know where it is stored (and I could fiddle it to point to the clone and not the original -- I'm pretty limited in testing until I can do this one way or another).

c) Unrelated question. In trying to get my local folders straightened out in prepartion for the migration I've gotten an "Inbox" directly under "Local" (previous levels of migrations, a year ago Outlook was migrated into Beonex). Foolish me, before moving it out of the Outlook folder (in prepartion for deleting it) I didn't FIRST rename it. Won't let me now. Suggestions?
gwang

Post by gwang »

Post by Guest »

Not really. (yes and no) -- for example....

The Profile Manager should detect and import a profile from Netscape 4.5 or later automatically while installing, except for the address book and any security certificates.

EXPLAIN! See I know I can do this if I create a Mozzila directory, put my earlier version default folder in there, and then install Mozilla. Works like a charm. Unfortunately this is not want I want YET. I don't want the Mozilla "home" to share the Beonex "home" directories during "testing" and the fact that I put a COPY in the Mozilla folder (Mozilla is pointing to the Beonex one -- I can switch this for "local" but where Mozilla should be showing me the "home" directory path (and allowing me to change it) is just gray space).

Thus the two questions realted to THIS:
Does the "window" for showing/allowing change of the "home" directory path not appear unless I have created a home account under Mozilla 1.5?

What does "automatically find" mean? In other words, does that mean "in any path"? If I DON'T want it to find and use my existing (Beonex) profile is there any special action I need to take? Is find just "if it's in the Mozilla directory" or "if it's anywhere on any dirve in the system accessible from the OS running".

I am NOT planning on running more than one at a time but can I have more than one INSTALLED at a time without their interfing. Right now I am figuring on:

1) Getting a "test" Mozill up and running. Probably make it use a COPY of the "production" local directory (same folder tree and contents) and a COPY of the bookmarks and a COPY of filter rules (I think I've found the file) but NOT the same "home" directory --- I TRIED to have it use a copy but it's pointing to the orginal.

2) How about I reinstall from scratch with an empty Mozilla directory? Will that let me set up Mozilla (as if there WAS no Mozilla kin on the system) and then I can try to bring in "local", "bookmarks", and "rules"? In testing set POP not to remove from POP server.

See, my "end user" has a right to expect that I can show her a completely working application in test before I migrate. We share a system and share an ISP account.