Mozilla mail: rule-based leave on server?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
PARUK

Mozilla mail: rule-based leave on server?

Post by PARUK »

I'm a p'd-off OE user who wants to move to Mozilla Mail, but one thing is holding me back.

OE's message rule facility include the option "do not download from server", but I can't find an equivalent facility in Mozilla.

That feature is important to me because one of my accounts is shared with my girlfriend. In OE, I've set up rules that knock back mail addressed to her, leaving them on the server, but downloading everything else (and deleting the originals from the server). Equally the OE on her computer only downloads mail that is addressed specifically to her.

So you can see the effect I'm trying to get. Anybody got any ideas if this can be accomplished in Mozilla?

Post by Guest »

Anybody?

Anbody know if Thunderbird has this facility (and if it's fully working)?
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Paruk, I don't know which version of Mozilla you use. I have 1.5 German, and there I have in the mail client window under message (think this is the correct term ;)) the option Build Filter from message (or so ;-)).

Give it a try. Good luck
Joachim
PARUK

Post by PARUK »

Joachim wrote:Paruk, I don't know which version of Mozilla you use. I have 1.5 German, and there I have in the mail client window under message (think this is the correct term ;)) the option Build Filter from message (or so ;-)).

Yep I'm using 1.5 (English) too. I've checked the filter options and unfortunately the one thing missing is the one thing I need - "do not download" or "leave on server". It's damn shame 'cos in all other respects Mozilla Mail looks great.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Mozilla mail does not look only great - it's great ;)

Paruk, you might try this workaround: In the settings for the respective mail-account you also have the option "leave messages on server", activate this and try to figure out if you can sort out mails on your and your girlfriend's computer, respectively, in the right way via the the filter rules. You also have the possibility to delete mails on the server (an option in the account settings) if those in your inbox have been moved to some other folder or the recycle bin...

Perhaps this might work for you - good luck
Joachim
PARUK

Post by PARUK »

Cheers Joachim, I'll give that a try

Post by Guest »

In Mozilla 1.5 Mail Account Settings
in Server settings "Leave messeges on server"
(This is true for pop-mail servers, for IMAP-mail servers
there are no such check box in sever setings tab, but as far as i experienced,
messeges are left on server by default)
PARUK

Post by PARUK »

Anonymous wrote:In Mozilla 1.5 Mail Account Settings
in Server settings "Leave messeges on server"
(This is true for pop-mail servers, for IMAP-mail servers
there are no such check box in sever setings tab, but as far as i experienced,
messeges are left on server by default)

Yeah it's pop3 rather than IMAP, so the messages are deleted by default. The problem with simply ticking "Leaving on server" is that I don't want the messages to keep building up. But as Joachim suggested I may be able to get something approaching the behaviour I want by using a combination of filters, deleet on move and so on.
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

Paruk -- If "delete on move" works, then you CAN get your desired effect combining rules with settings (and this might explain why a rule option allowing "leave on server" wasn't considered high priority).

You CAN create non reserved name folders within the "account" folder. So lets assume that you created a 'Myinbox' folder within the account directory on your machine and she on hers. Her machine has a rule to move from Inbox to Myinbox based on a rule using however her email is identiified and yours the negation of that identification -- or vice versa (careful, better not to use identification in both cases because of a possible 'excluded middle' problem -- ONE of you must move to your 'Myinbox' whatever can't be identified as being definitely hers of definitely yours).