Bookmarks FLY by

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite

Bookmarks FLY by

Post by Guest »

In Mozilla 1.4 and 1.5, on a Dell Poweredge 600SC, my bookmarks scroll very fast, and I usually can't stop them. If I try moving at the top of the bookmark list, they just reverse and scroll backwards just as fast.

I'd hoped by going to 1.5 that this behavior would stop. Anyone else had this problem, or know how to stop it?
spamelius

Post by spamelius »

Hmmmmm.... I surfed around a bit to look for an answer but I came up empty handed... sorry. I assume by "they scroll very fast", you mean the when you open the bookmark menu, the menu is longer than what fits onto your screen and when you scroll up and down in the menu, the scrolling is very fast.

I cannot help with the scrolling speed, but I have a suggestion: It sounds to me like you have all your bookmarks in just one long list, maybe even without any "structure" inside your bookmark file. You may avoid having to scroll through your bookmarks, if you organize them in folders / subfolders.

Check out the following tip on Mozilla Tips:
Tip #81 File and Manage your Bookmarks using Drag & Drop:
http://www.mozillatips.com/modules.php? ... cle&sid=95
Tip #59 Use your Personal Toolbar:
http://www.mozillatips.com/modules.php? ... cle&sid=71

Neither of these tips will help with with the scrolling speed, but they will help you to manage your bookmarks so that you may not have to scroll. That is of course only, if I actually understood your problem right.

Let me know if I am anywhere in the ballpark here, OK?

Cornelius
Go to www.mozillatips.com to find cool tips for Mozilla, Thunderbird and Firebird.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
herman

Post by herman »

spamelius wrote: I assume by "they scroll very fast", you mean the when you open the bookmark menu, the menu is longer than what fits onto your screen and when you scroll up and down in the menu, the scrolling is very fast.

I´m seeing this also sometimes, on a slow celeron 333, must be worse on a *fast* computer.

spamelius wrote:I cannot help with the scrolling speed, but I have a suggestion: It sounds to me like you have all your bookmarks in just one long list, maybe even without any "structure" inside your bookmark file. You may avoid having to scroll through your bookmarks, if you organize them in folders / subfolders.

I´ve got my bookmarks organized in 18 folders in my Personal Toolbar, and some in the overflow, and other folders. Sometimes I set another folder as PT, depends on the job.

Some of my folders are very long, so they are displayed with a small arrow at the top, and at the bottom. When I reach the line containing the arrow, scrolling starts, and when I´m leaving this line, scrolling stops. If I select and load a bookmark, the folder collapses, but the position is remembered, so if I open it again, I´m seeing the same bookmarks. Sometimes, when I´m opening such a folder, it immediately starts scrolling, and I can´t predictably stop it, just move the mouse up and down, that the scrolling direction is reversed, and after some of these movements the scrolling stops, but of course I´m not anymore at the position I wanted to be, I´ve got to scroll again.

Workaround:
open Bookmarks Manager, and work from there.

I don´t know the code.
I´m thinking there is an event handler, which starts scrolling, if the mouse touches the top or the bottom line, and stops scrolling, if that line is left. On the other side, there is my slow computer, often swapping, and if the menu is expanded, and I touch the top line, when I´m going down to select a bookmark, scrolling starts. If in this moment my beloved Win98 starts swapping, the event handler doesn´t notice I leave the top line, and keeps on scrolling. That will keep Mozilla demanding more ressources, so the swapping is continued.
Another guess: there is a timer for the scroll speed, if it gets not initialized correctly, it is scrolling to fast.

I didn´t have the time and patience to observe this further, or file a bug about this, as I didn´t have the thoughts I made while writing this.

I didn´t see this type of behaviour often in the last time, so I don´t know. I´ll observe it better, if it happens next time.

herman
herman

Re: Bookmarks FLY by

Post by herman »

Anonymous wrote:In Mozilla 1.4 and 1.5, on a Dell Poweredge 600SC, my bookmarks scroll very fast, and I usually can't stop them. If I try moving at the top of the bookmark list, they just reverse and scroll backwards just as fast.

I'd hoped by going to 1.5 that this behavior would stop. Anyone else had this problem, or know how to stop it?

Did you try to go sideways?
Just leave the folder to the left or the right, it should stay open, but the scrolling should stop.
I´ve often seen this type of behaviour, but not lately.
Maybe it is cured in 1.6, don´t know, I´m using nightlies, so I don´t remember when a bug I always saw in an old release isn´t there when I use a new release.
Is the Poweredge a Notebook, or a Desktop? How much RAM do you have?

herman

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help and suggestions...

Spamelious - I do use the Personal Toolbar Folder, but the rest of my bookmarks are all in one folder. I will try to organize them and see if that makes a difference.

herman - unfortunately, going sideways doesn't help. They just keep scrolling along.

I guess it's something I'll have to live with, if it happens even with a more organized bookmarks folder.

Post by Guest »

P.S. The Poweredge is a server/desktop - it's 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 2 40GB drives in a RAID 0. We had planned to use it as our company's server, but it didn't want to run RedHat 7 or Windows 2000 Adv. Server, so now it's serving me via Win XP Pro.

Not a bad machine, but there's only one 32-bit PCI slot, and the integrated Gigabit ethernet isn't supported by Windows. I had to take the one 32-bit slot up with an ethernet card, luckily I found a 64-bit sound card for cheap.