Lost mail

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
rimholz

Lost mail

Post by rimholz »

I was having trouble with by Mozilla browser and email, so I reloaded Mozilla complete using the Mozilla win 32 installer.exe. Everything worked correctly, except all the old emails which I had filed under Mozilla mail&newsgroups have disappeared. I hope they are somewhere in my computer, but if so, I don't know where to go or how to retreive them Can someone help? Thanks
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Seamonkey support
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

Sinoly reloading/reinstalling Mozilla (programs) should NOT have affected your Mozilla DATA.

But of course we have no way of knowing what ELSE you might have done

I am guessing that you are using Win XP as your operating system. Look in your application data to see what is in the mozilla folder there -- and note that you need to know how to look at "hidden" files and directories but that's a "using Windows X" issue.

You may have created a new profile for yourself but the old one (with oyur old data) amy still be there.
rimholz

Post by rimholz »

Anonymous wrote:Sinoly reloading/reinstalling Mozilla (programs) should NOT have affected your Mozilla DATA.

But of course we have no way of knowing what ELSE you might have done

I am guessing that you are using Win XP as your operating system. Look in your application data to see what is in the mozilla folder there -- and note that you need to know how to look at "hidden" files and directories but that's a "using Windows X" issue.

You may have created a new profile for yourself but the old one (with oyur old data) amy still be there.
Mike, I tried what you suggested and found the desired mail folder at the following address: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\h6j9tlwc.slt\Mail. There was another folder in addition to the default folder called default user, which did not contain the desired elements. Under the default and next entries there were several folders, one of which contained the desired information. I have tried all the ways I can think of to get this information into my current mozilla mail system with out result.I even tried setting up a new profile, trying to include the desired folder therein. Perhaps you know what I am doing wrong. I guess by now you know I am a self taught computer user, without a very good teacher. Whatever you can offer as a solution would be appreciated.
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

Ah --- Windows XP basics (and many other OSs what have adminstrator type log in)

You (wearing your administrator hat) and you (wearing your ordinary user hat) are two entirely different people as far as your XP system is concerned. Your computer doesn't know you are the same human. Each of you has your own data area. This isn't really a 'zilla question as you would have had exactly the same problem even with any of the MS apps (you as administrator and you as user wouldn't have the same "favorites" for IE).

If this is your problem, let me try to restate your question.....

Under XP, I accidentally began using 'zilla while logged in as administrator, but now, when I log in as an ordinary user I get a brand new "clean" profile and can;t see my old data (my mail messages, for example). How do I fix that?

Answer ----- As ordinary user, go ahead and recreate your mail account in this (new) profile but do not use it yet except perhaps testing receiving and sending messges with "leave on sender" set. While there, use Mail&Newsgroup Account Settings=>Server Settings to note down the path in the "local directory" box.

Now log out and log back in as administrator and into 'zilla. Again use Mail&Newsgroup Account Settings=>Server Settings to note down the path. The ending of the paths agree, yes? Then simply copy that directory from the administrator path replacing the one in the user path -- as adminsitrator you have the power to do that. Then check permissions on this directory (in the new path).
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

"leave on sender"

Leave on server. :)