How to Install/Run/use "Toggleflash.bat " File in

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
sandybeach

How to Install/Run/use "Toggleflash.bat " File in

Post by sandybeach »

I have a bat file of Flashkill successfully installed in IE where Flash is toggled OFF. I currently browse using latest Mozilla (1.7.2_13 w/Sun 1.4.2_11) only. Install of Moz. migrated Flash & Adobe reader(active-Xs) to Moz. Plug-ins. After getting an unexpected load of bad stuff thru Flash (by way of Pop-Cap Loader),11 critical objects by AdawareSE, I've decided to Toggle Flash ( Adobe Reader also?)OFF in Mozilla also. I've found, and saved to Desktop the appropriate batch file from this link but apparently don't understand how to install & use it. Basically, I guess I need translation & step By step instructions.
Link:http://www.worldtimzone.com/blog/date/2002/11

I wandered my C: tree until I reached the plug ins folder which gave me the following address(which I saved)(noting the ''space'' in Program Files included '' marks).Note: no ''bin' as in example in link
''C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins''
So I tried a Start>run>browse to desktop folder with batch file. Clicked OK and nothing (other than quick flicker) happened no messages at all. I expected a pop up asking for path to install it.
Tried DBL. Left click on batch on desktop :Nothing different.Right click & open shows the text of the file. Was going to try a copy&paste into "plugins" folder but decided to get help first! At least, I created a System restore point before starting all this. Clearly I need help!!
I currently show "Enabled" for all the following plug-ins:All Adobe Acrobat (w/Reader), Schockwave Flash (8.0 r22), Future Splash (???). Also have installed on machine PopCap (play online games) Loader (flash using which was actual source of new critical objects found). I figure by toggling off Flash should block access from PopCap & other flash based threats. Would I also need to block Adobe? Due to age, condition, & system req., can't use Firefox w/ Sun 1.5.0(5.0) so wish to stay with my much loved Mozilla!

I do have Spybot running in advanced mode with Tea Timer active and used it( after failed batch file attempts) to temporarily Disable Flash & PopCap(but not Adobe). Tea Timer pop-up seems to confirm both are disabled. Just very inconvenient if I should hit a site where I might decide I need flash enabled, hence the batch file.
Please..can someone used to dealing with simpletons direct me.... Thanks in Advance for your time! :)
therube

Post by therube »

The way it is written, you will need to run the batch file from a C:\> prompt.

So if you named the batch file, TOGGLE_FLASH.BAT
& if your /plugin/ directory is located here, C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins
from a C:\> prompt, you would type ...

TOGGLE_FLASH.BAT "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins"

You should then see a confirmation that Flash has either been toggled ON or OFF.

(Quotes would be needed around the pathname if it includes spaces).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

If you wanted to run it from a shortcut (or start run) then by hard coding your plugin path would work.

Note if your plugin path is different, you would have to modify what follows.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Code: Select all

set PLUGINPATH="C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins" 

@echo off
if [%PLUGINPATH%]==[""] goto usage
if exist %PLUGINPATH%.\npswf32.dll goto disable
if exist %PLUGINPATH%.\npswf32.dll.off goto enable
echo Couldn't find a flash plugin.
echo.
goto usage

:disable
ren %PLUGINPATH%.\npswf32.dll npswf32.dll.off
if exist %PLUGINPATH%.\np32dsw.dll ren %PLUGINPATH%.\np32dsw.dll np32dsw.dll.off
echo Flash Disabled.
echo.
echo.   OOOO    FFFFFFF  FFFFFFF
echo.  OO  OO   FF       FF
echo. OO    OO  FF       FF
echo. OO    OO  FFFFF    FFFFF
echo. OO    OO  FF       FF
echo.  OO  OO   FF       FF
echo.   OOOO    FF       FF
goto done

:enable
ren %PLUGINPATH%.\npswf32.dll.off npswf32.dll
if exist %PLUGINPATH%.\np32dsw.dll.off ren %PLUGINPATH%.\np32dsw.dll.off np32dsw.dll
echo Flash Enabled.
echo.
echo.     OOOOO   NN    NN
echo.    OO   OO  NNN   NN 
echo.    OO   OO  NNNN  NN
echo.    OO   OO  NN NN NN
echo.    OO   OO  NN  NNNN
echo.    OO   OO  NN   NNN
echo.     OOOOO   NN    NN
goto done

:usage
echo You must specify the path to your browser's plugins directory.
echo Put the path in double quotes if it includes spaces.
echo For example, toggleflash.bat "c:\Program Files\Mozilla\bin\plugins"

:done
echo.

pause

(MODIFICATION of code found here: http://www.worldtimzone.com/blog/date/2002/11)
sandybeach

Thanks for Responding, TheRube! I Would Like to Have ...

Post by sandybeach »

a shortcut on desktop. I'm using XPPro with 2 users, each with own desktop( would I have to duplicate whatever from BOTH desktops or would C: WITHOUT Sandy\Settings make it apply to both?).
When I go start>run>cmd>OK I get a C: prompt(?) which starts as:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy>(blinking cursor). If to type in simple command you suggested, would I have to back space 'til ONLY C:\ (>)is showing and then type in balance?
Should the batch file itself be copy/pasted into the plugins file? ( or does the command send it)?
If I want to "hard code" for shortcut, using code you've so kindly provided, how to do so?
Do I copy & paste to folder on desktop or save as: .bat or as all files? What to do with it once I have it? Do I copy to plugins folder or?
As you see, I have NO IDEA about doing this type of thing. Sorry I'm so dense about procedures but being a relatively new win guy, I never used or learned much about DOS.
Sorry I didn't reply last night but it was so late (4AM) I could barely read your posts.
Thanks for your patience & guidance, I'm certainly going to learn something from all this!! O:)
sandybeach

Post by sandybeach »

Sorry, That post was to have Header saying: Thanks for Your Reply, therube. I Would like....
therube

Post by therube »

Copy the above code.
Save it to a file, call it toggleflash.bat.
Create a shortcut to toggleflash.bat on your desktop.
Give it a shot, see if it works for you.
sandybeach

Post by sandybeach »

Fantastic!!! Once I created a new folder on C: named toggleflash.bat & copied & pasted to new text file (took me awhile of trying to C&P straight to folder to figure) and renamed to .bat, the symbol changed. Then the C&P to C Folder went fine and it works a treat!! Thank you "O Guru"!! :banana: :D
LucaBrazi

Re: How to Install/Run/use "Toggleflash.bat " File in

Post by LucaBrazi »

This helped me too! Thank you very much!
The.Purple.Hippo

Re: How to Install/Run/use "Toggleflash.bat " File in

Post by The.Purple.Hippo »

just an optional suggestion, but why don't you look into flashblock?: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/