MozillaZine

Help removing a SearchEngine from Sidebar

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
CkHere
Guest
 

Post Posted August 31st, 2006, 10:02 pm

I am running Mozilla 1.7.12 and WinXP SP1, been running this config for a long, long time (except the Mozilla version has been updated each time a new version is available).
My sidebar search engines have been Google, Dmoz.org, and AskJeeves for a very long time too. Tonight I noticed a new search engine called 'LinkedIn'.

I didn't add this, and I don't know how it got added. I wonder about this change, but at this point, I just want to delete it. Is there a way to remove one search engine from my list? I can't find any info on this in help. I've tried customize sidebar - I don't see any help for removal of one item.

Can somebody give me some direction?


Thanks in advance,

Ck

Daifne
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 123031
Joined: July 31st, 2005, 9:17 pm
Location: Where the Waters Meet, Wisconsin

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 12:01 am

Moving to SeaMonkey Support

raj_bhaskar

User avatar
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: November 7th, 2002, 3:50 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 4:10 am

Look in both your <SeaMonkey>/searchPlugins/ and your <profile>/searchPlugins/ folder for the .src file that matches the search engine, just delete it (making a backup if you wish) and restart SeaMonkey. The new thing should be gone.

amrad
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 8:32 am

Hello Ck,

CkHere wrote:Is there a way to remove one search engine from my list?

Ck

Yes, there is! In the sidebar you can search "within" - a drop down list. In that list is "Edit Categories", select that and in the "Edit Categories" box that comes up, you have the ability to delete one, or more, search engines.

"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple! ;)

Regards,

Dave.

Philip Chee

User avatar
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: March 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 9:26 am

Amrad wrote:"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple!
I think you need an extension for that.

Phil

amrad
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 10:17 am

Hello Phil,

Philip Chee wrote:
Amrad wrote:"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple!
I think you need an extension for that.

Phil

Not in SeaMonkey, you don't, that's how it was after installation. I thought Mozilla was the same, but I don't have it installed on my PC anymore, so I wasn't able to check!

My apologies if I am mistaken about it being in Mozilla.

Regards,

Dave.

Philip Chee

User avatar
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: March 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 10:29 am

Amrad wrote:Not in SeaMonkey, you don't, that's how it was after installation. I thought Mozilla was the same, but I don't have it installed on my PC anymore, so I wasn't able to check!
Doesn't work for me using: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060820 MultiZilla/1.8.3.0a Mnenhy/0.7.4.0 SeaMonkey/1.5a.

However if the Advanced Search Sidebar extension is installed then simply open this in the sidebar, right click on any search engine and a context menu will appear allowing you to delete that search engine..

Phil

amrad
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 10:53 am

Deleted by Amrad - Incomplete post!
Last edited by amrad on September 1st, 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

amrad
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 10:55 am

Hello Phil,

Philip Chee wrote:
Amrad wrote:Not in SeaMonkey, you don't, that's how it was after installation. I thought Mozilla was the same, but I don't have it installed on my PC anymore, so I wasn't able to check!
Doesn't work for me using: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060820 MultiZilla/1.8.3.0a Mnenhy/0.7.4.0 SeaMonkey/1.5a.

However if the Advanced Search Sidebar extension is installed then simply open this in the sidebar, right click on any search engine and a context menu will appear allowing you to delete that search engine..

Phil

I definitely haven't installed any such extension! The only extensions I've installed are the en-GB Language pack and PrefBar.

I'm using SeaMonkey 1.0.4, but you have to enable "Advanced" in; Edit \ Preferences \ Navigator \ Internat Search for the "within" drop-down menu to be shown!

Regards,

Dave.

BenoitRen

User avatar
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: April 11th, 2004, 10:20 am
Location: Belgium

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 11:08 am

Amrad wrote:Hello Ck,

CkHere wrote:Is there a way to remove one search engine from my list?

Ck

Yes, there is! In the sidebar you can search "within" - a drop down list. In that list is "Edit Categories", select that and in the "Edit Categories" box that comes up, you have the ability to delete one, or more, search engines.

"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple! ;)

Regards,

Dave.

What I get is a dialog that manages categories, not search engines. Removing search engines from a category doesn't delete it, it only removes it from the category.

amrad
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 11:29 am

Hello BenoitRen,

BenoitRen wrote:What I get is a dialog that manages categories, not search engines. Removing search engines from a category doesn't delete it, it only removes it from the category.

You are correct about that! I made the incorrect assumption that "Delete" actually deleted the selected search engine, instead of just removing it from that category!

Sorry about that. :oops:

However, that may be sufficient for Ck, as it won't then show in his sidebar. It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.

Regards,

Dave.

Philip Chee

User avatar
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: March 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Post Posted September 1st, 2006, 9:19 pm

amrad wrote:It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.
If you installed the extension I mentioned, you should be able to delete the search engine completely!.

Phil

amrad
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted September 2nd, 2006, 2:57 am

Hello Philip,

Philip Chee wrote:
amrad wrote:It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.
If you installed the extension I mentioned, you should be able to delete the search engine completely!.

Phil

Thanks for that info - I wasn't aware of that extension's capablities, so I will check it out!

Regards,

Dave.

ckhere
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 31st, 2006, 10:04 pm

Post Posted September 11th, 2006, 9:44 pm

amrad wrote:Hello BenoitRen,

BenoitRen wrote:What I get is a dialog that manages categories, not search engines. Removing search engines from a category doesn't delete it, it only removes it from the category.

You are correct about that! I made the incorrect assumption that "Delete" actually deleted the selected search engine, instead of just removing it from that category!

Sorry about that. :oops:

However, that may be sufficient for Ck, as it won't then show in his sidebar. It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.

Regards,

Dave.


Thanks to all of you for your input. My apologies for not expressing thanks for all of the replies sooner. I had to go out of town right after my post and I had a full schedule. Everything that has been stated in this topic is true on my system. I don't have a 'delete' option for a search engine..

I decided to d/l the Advanced Search Sidebar - it would allow me to delete this 'mystery' engine and also give me some Firefox perks.....

Indeed I got Firefox perks after installing - Mozilla will not run now, so I'm getting ALL the Firefox perks ALL the time!!! ](*,)

I've not had much time to do troubleshooting on Mozilla; First I did an install OVER my existing Mozilla - no change. Then I uninstalled Mozilla and did a fresh install - no change.

I get the Splash screen for Mozilla, but it won't go past that. Mozilla.exe is shown as a running process and the Splash screen doesn't go away until I kill the process. (I run Anti-virus and spyware scans regularly, and ran a special scan on program files and Docs and Settings folders when problem surfaced. All is clean)

I'm running WinXP SP1, no config changes or program installs recently. I'm certain it was the installation of the Advanced Sidebar Search that blasted Mozilla. Anybody heard of this problem, or have an idea what's up here?

Thanks again for everybody's help. (I Think!!) :?

Ck

Philip Chee

User avatar
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: March 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Post Posted September 11th, 2006, 11:33 pm

I just tested by installing the advanced search sidebar 0.1.8.2 into Mozilla 1.7.13 and it works fine. Mozilla doesn't hang or anything.

Try starting The mozilla profile manager and creating a new profile.

Phil

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest