SeaMonkey RECEIVES but can't connect to server to SEND email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
guest666

same subject _next tack

Post by guest666 »

i tried another new tack this morning. i went into safari prefs and changed my default browser/email client back to seamonkey. Then i signed into my yahoo email account and sent an email to myself. Since this yahoo account is where i get the notice that new mozillazine posts on this subject have occurred, and it is now effectively using seamonkey but on a different port to connect to in order to send AND receive, i thought to try Dave Oesterreich's idea (Doesterr). It worked fine as a work-around and was SENT AND RECEIVED but my reply-to url is yahoo when i do that, not Comcast which i prefer for friends and family and also since i want to keep the yahoo for business only. i am unable at this point to get any other username than <> to show up in the passwords for the seamonkey SMTP. (BenoitRen) i am going to try to create a second profile next since that is what the read-me instructions say one should always do. "When all else fails FIRST, only THEN will real men read the instructions." Also here is another image link:
Old Dog learning new tricks
rsx11m

Re: same subject _next tack

Post by rsx11m »

guest666 wrote:Then i signed into my yahoo email account and sent an email to myself. ... It worked fine as a work-around and was SENT AND RECEIVED but my reply-to url is yahoo when i do that, not Comcast which i prefer for friends and family
Ok, so sending works for your Yahoo account but doesn't for your Comcast account, thus must be something either in the settings for the SMTP account or the firewall. Well, as a workaround, you can associate the Yahoo SMTP server with your Comcast account (if it will forward a comcast.com address, some servers are picky), or have the account settings in a way that the sender is your Yahoo account with a Reply-To address to the Comcast account. Anyway, there should be a solution for the Comcast SMTP server as it works for other people...
guest666

Post by guest666 »

It seems i mispoke on that amount of time to errormessage answer. Actual time is 10 -15 seconds. Still fails to connect.
guest666

Post by guest666 »

"By way of yahoo mail" means i am signed into yahoo and using Seamonkey as default and sending (as well as receiving) mail. This connects successfully using the secured server numbered ports that Yahoo specifies : 80, 5050 and 443 i don't know what these ports function as.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Port 80 is unencrypted HTTP, 443 is for encrypted HTTPS, and port 5050 is registered for "multimedia conference" (possibly Yahoo messenger?). The first two would suggest that this is going over webmail. Are you using SeaMonkey as a browser at this point or the webmail extension for Yahoo?

The 10-15 seconds should still give you some time to determine whether or not the connection is actually established. If you can get a command prompt and execute the "netstat" command, it should show you a connection in the process of being established (status SYN_SENT) or being active (ESTABLISHED). If it shows an established status after you confirmed the connection with the firewall, you can exclude the latter (i.e., the Little Snitch) as a source and concentrate on the Comcast settings then.

BenoitRen wrote:
i noticed as i was about to delete it that while every thing else listed there had a username the smpt had only a <> instead of a username.
Perhaps this is the thing that is gumming up the works?
Personally, I think this is worth looking into.
Any progress here?

Also, if you haven't done so yet, you may want to search the Thunderbird forums for Comcast e-mail, I'm sure there are a couple of posts on this as well.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Hi again, could you solve the problem by now?

If not, I found the following documentation on Comcast SMTP in the Knowledge Base at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_acco ... _providers
Comcast documents two SMTP configurations, a unsecure connection using port 25 and a secure connection using "TLS if available" and port 587. If you get a error message that the SMTP server may be unavailable or refusing SMTP connections there is a undocumented configuration that several users have gotten to work. Use port 465, set "use secure connection" to SSL, check the authentication required box and provide your full Comcast address as the username.
Maybe it helps to try the other two options if port 25 doesn't work for whatever reason (I can connect to port 465 but not to 587).
Old Peter Creasey

Re: SeaMonkey RECEIVES but can't connect to server to SEND e

Post by Old Peter Creasey »

guest666 wrote: i began getting a port 25 error problem with Comcast broadband when attempting to SEND an email. SeaMonkey still RECEIVES email fine (different port) and it still connects to the www correctly as before. Comcast tech supt says they don't support mozilla, so no help there.

G, I had a sudden problem with AT&T as detailed in this thread -->

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=576120
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Thanks Peter, this would be a completely different server then. So, what exactly is the relationship between Comcast, AT&T (resolved IP addresses on the previous page), and now SBCglobal???

This is getting weirder and weirder... :?
Old Peter Creasey

Post by Old Peter Creasey »

rsx11m wrote: what exactly is the relationship between Comcast, AT&T (resolved IP addresses on the previous page), and now SBCglobal???

R, AT&T and sbcglobal are related entities. Comcast is cable oriented. (I'm not sure if this is what you were asking?)

Regardless of the foregoing, various ISPs, definitely including AT&T, are modifying their SMTP servers for outgoing mail thereby requiring modifications in user settings. Unfortunately, these providers, as we know, often don't take kindly to hearing about Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey/etc. and often don't know that their own servers have been modified and don't know what settings are appropriate at any given time.

I don't know if any of the foregoing answers your question(s).
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

Peter Creasey wrote:
rsx11m wrote: what exactly is the relationship between Comcast, AT&T (resolved IP addresses on the previous page), and now SBCglobal???

R, AT&T and sbcglobal are related entities. Comcast is cable oriented.

And Comcast acquired part of its cable TV and broadband systems from AT&T a couple of years back.
But then again, I may be wrong.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Tx. Peter & Andy, so it's all "kind of" the same. I'm using DSL at home myself, thus I'm not quite current on the cable consortiums and who owns who there. :-)

Hope that any of this helps guest666 now solving the problem...
NewSeaMonkeyUser

Same Problem with a corporate MS Exchange mail server

Post by NewSeaMonkeyUser »

Having the same problem - Used to use Netscape 7, installed SeaMonkey and it sees my Netscape profiles - so far so good. Downloads mail just fine, but I get the same SMTP Server error described above if I try to send mail. Deinstalled SeaMonkey and reverted back to Netscape 7 and sending works fine with same server and profile. Installed SeaMonkey again - sending still broken. Nothing changed in my profile or on the server. This appears to be a SeaMonkey bug. Username for SMTP is shown as <>, with a password properly shown, while all other website connections show both a username and password.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Do you have a firewall or security suite running? It could be it doesn't recognise SeaMonkey and is blocking it.
Daifne

Re: SeaMonkey RECEIVES but can't connect to server to SEND email

Post by Daifne »

sheilan,
I split your post off to a new topic. Your question was not really related to the topic you posted in. Yours is here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=767665
steviex

Re: SeaMonkey RECEIVES but can't connect to server to SEND email

Post by steviex »

@ IodizedSeaSalt

I have split your post to HERE viewtopic.php?f=40&t=777975
Your post was about sonic.net, this thread is about Comcast....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.