Disable navigator and keep email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
oldace65

Disable navigator and keep email

Post by oldace65 »

How can I disable Navigator to keep the upgrade pop-up for Firefox from coming up? I've already installed Firefox and made it my default browser and use Mozilla for my email server. The pop-up still appears when I open the email portion.

I've changed the start-up to start up only the mail and news groups (un-checked Navigator).

Anybody have this problem before?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Please clarify which program are you using for your mail ?
Is this SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite or Netscape Navigator. Also tell us what version of these programs you are using.
Last edited by steviex on March 12th, 2008, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Other Applications and Distributions. You posted in Mozillazine Site Discussion which is to discuss this website.

Have you considered using Thunderbird for your email instead? Netscape Communicator hasn't been supported for a while and Mozilla Suite is now SeaMonkey.
oldace65

Post by oldace65 »

I'm using Mozilla Suite version 1.7.13. I'll be moving to Sea Monkey for my email, but I'm curious as to how to handle this problem before I go.

Is it something in prefs.js or user.js that might be the problem?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

What upgrade popup? A Screenshot of what you are seeing might help.

Phil
oldace65

Post by oldace65 »

The pop-up announces Mozilla is no longer supported and tells you to up-grade to Firefox (which I have already done). When this happens, the old email screen is inaccessible and I have to go through the process of configuring a new profile.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving back to SeaMonkey Support.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

That's interesting. The default home page in the Mozilla Navigator window has an upgrade notice but an actual popup in MailNews? Anyway SeaMonkey knows that it's newer than Mozilla and co-equal to Firefox so you should not see any such popups.

Phil
oldace65

Post by oldace65 »

I haven't installed SeaMonkey yet. There is no pop-up in MailNews, only in the Navigator screen and it doesn't come up as the home page replacing my home page (Google) for about two weeks after I configure a new profile.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I don't have Mozilla Suite installed any more but try this: Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Software Installation. Untick "Check for Updates".

Phil
oldace65

Post by oldace65 »

That's the ticket! Thanks to all for helping out a newbie.

Re: Disable navigator and keep email

Post by Guest »

I just downloaded, mozilla, on my computer. I cannot get my e-mail setup. Can someone help me. I am not good with,computers, as I am sure you can tell!!
turu

Re: Disable navigator and keep email

Post by turu »

Guest wrote:I just downloaded, mozilla, on my computer. I cannot get my e-mail setup. Can someone help me. I am not good with,computers, as I am sure you can tell!!

If you wrote this post on the what you call as "Mozilla", then it doesn't have e-mail client within its component as good old Mozilla Internet Suite did. What you just installed is program called "Firefox" and it is just a browser(or navigator in old terms).

Now, if you want to get back latest e-mail client from Mozilla on your computer, you have two options. One is install Thunderbird which is independent e-mail client and used to be a mail component of Mozilla. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Or

Download Seamonkey which still remains almost same look and feel of good old Mozilla Internet Suite, but yet it is updated internally to meet up latest web environment. Pros for using SM is you can use it just as you used Mozilla before. http://www.seamonkey-project.org/