off-topic Waterfox discussion split from "on what Walton said"

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
therube

Re: off-topic Waterfox discussion split from "on what Walton

Post by therube »

Waterfox uses Firefox code ... sooner or later their code, when updated to follow The Internet, and changed by Mozilla will change something and that your extension(s) may no longer work?
Should not be an issue, particularly, with current Waterfox.

Certainly could be an issue if Waterfox (any browser that currently supports Legacy extensions, like SeaMonkey, for that matter) follows the Quantum "path" - unless he is (they are) able to somehow maintain the pieces that Mozilla has pulled out (which might be just about, everything).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

You must not forget that its much harder for smaller teams to keep up with security fixes.
I don't know that is necessarily the case.

Security, seems to be Pale Moon's forte.
And Waterfox doesn't seem to have issues in backporting either. (Sometimes a bit of a lag, but he gets it done.)
Yes, still surprised people use those systems, very dangerous indeed.
Again, disagree.
(Disagree on the Mozilla forks. I'll even disagree on XP ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

> Yes well said Brummelchen, Its all about keeping Gecko safe and up to date. Yes, still surprised people use those systems, very dangerous indeed.

Both OS can still be updated with official fixes. XP with wpos till 2019 and Vista with Server 2008 till 2020. Because MS makes it so easy I wouldn't even call it illegal only unethical. This does not add the added security features in later releases but no system is 100% safe.
When the market share becomes smaller and smaller the crooks loose interest too and newer expolits won't even work. If someone targets you directly you can run any OS you want and you will probably loose.

Mozilla can go to the dumpster and I won't care right now. Looking at the market share they do exactly this :)

It is not so hard to secure the forks. What is hard is to add new features and this is where they will probably fail. Run even an older ad or script blocker and you should be mostly safe.

FRG
Last edited by frg on September 18th, 2018, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

@Therube, yes good examples, but Pale Moon always seemed to have issues, don't really hear anything about Waterfox, the features thing I agree, can be a problem for the forks to deal with. @frg I don't think you can base anything on market share alone, but i do agree, in a way that Firefox must rise again, hopefully that will continue to happen with WR and other parts of the browser. We shall see.
frg

Post by frg »

Well things like this one just tick me off when it comes to MoCo:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1490765

Oh we break comm-central today with no warningl? Soo (not) sorry but they just need to do this and that and everything will be fine.

So I really want them off the table despite thinking that a lot fo the guys and gals working for them are great. Maybe something good will come out of it when they finally fail. And I think they will fail.

With Webrender they will probably find out how bad current grahipcs drivers really are. There is not one brand for Linux and Windows both which I would recommend. AMD for Linux, Nvidia for Windows and Intel maybe for Linux but for sure not Windows. macOS seems the only one which was immune but Apple seems to slip here too.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

pos-ready patches are not made for regular xp. Believe it or not but that cause trouble, if not visible than in background. XPe is basically complete different. You were hooked on a lie.
frg

Post by frg »

> pos-ready patches are not made for regular xp. Believe it or not but that cause trouble, if not visible than in background.
> XPe is basically complete different. You were hooked on a lie.

I still use an XP PC I still need because of special programmer hardware which would be expensive to replace. Should I tell him to completely stop working or just throw random errors around?

I had access to real XP fixes for a while and the files in the WPOS ones were identical.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

frg wrote:> pos-ready patches are not made for regular xp. Believe it or not but that cause trouble, if not visible than in background.
> XPe is basically complete different. You were hooked on a lie.

I still use an XP PC I still need because of special programmer hardware which would be expensive to replace. Should I tell him to completely stop working or just throw random errors around?

I had access to real XP fixes for a while and the files in the WPOS ones were identical.
They are codebase identical frg. Only since August, the update require a CPU with SSE2.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)