[FX] PowerBook: 2005-07-16 [Trunk/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

MacGeneral: thanks! using the Powerbook icon now :]

whoami: probably the wrong place to post that :P But try out this extension: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/keyconfig
NotarySojac

Graphics glitch when switching tabs

Post by NotarySojac »

magnitique wrote:Just downloaded and installed the optimized version of 1.0. The slow performance issue seems to be solved. The browser is fast overall (launch, page loading/scrolling, opening menus/bookmarks, etc).

Hmmm... I just downloaded the latest G4 optimized build I could find (http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/Trunk/ ... 11.dmg.bz2) but the About Mozilla Firefox sheet says "0.9.1+" - not 1.0.

When I move between tabs, the window content often does not change until I force the window to redraw (resize, click scroll bar, etc...). Animated items (gifs, flash, etc) on the uppermost tab "burn through" the previous tab's content image.

Am I using the wrong build for my upgraded Sawtooth?
She currently has a Sonnet Encore/ST 1.4 Ghz CPU (1st gen mobo can't take a dual) and an ATI 8500 video card.
nooon

Post by nooon »

Did you build a G4 optimized version of the final 1.0?

edit: nevermind ;)
siggi_arni

Post by siggi_arni »

Mattias wrote:
powerbook wrote:
nooon wrote:Great builds! Keep up the good work!

Takker og bukker!

* That was something like "thank you" in Norwegian * :)
Or
"Tackar och bockar"
in Swedish! :-)

Or
"Takk kærlega"
in Icelandic :)
S .
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@NotarySojac. Before you experiment with nightly builds you should learn the difference between Aviary/Branch and Trunk! ;)
Branch was the code that have lead to firefox 1.0, which is closed now.
Trunk is the code that will lead up to firefox 1.1+.

@nooon. Firefox 1.0 is actually a nightly build from 2004.11.07, while my builds goes 3 days beyond that. With additional bugfixes. :)
NotarySojac

Post by NotarySojac »

So 2004.11.11's version 0.9.1+ is more recent and "bugfixed" than the actual official 1.0 release despite its lower number? Gaah.

You are saying, <strong>powerbook</strong>, that the G4 optimized build dated 2004.11.07 will behave like the official 1.0 release but should have the optimized-for-G4 speed improvement?

I was not intending on getting involved with the nightly build circus. I read about this effort in BeatnikPad Journal and thought I would see if there was any speed kick on my G4 Macs.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@NotarySojac.
My latest Aviary build (2004.11.10) is basically the same as the official 1.0, with additional bugfixes.
My Trunk build (2004.11.11) is built from a totally different source. In some ways its beyond the 1.0 (Using Gecko 1.8a5 instead of 1.7.5 etc...), but behind in other ways (ex. ~140 bugfixes).

Pick your build! :)
dschneiderch

Post by dschneiderch »

hi, i was so happy when i found this forum bc i usually only find windows optimizations. however, your latest build 2004.11.10 lags when loading pages. primarily when using "back" and "forward". it is definitely slower than the 1.0 release from tuesday. howevr, i dled your original 2004.11.4 build it is noticeably smoother and quicker than the 1.0 and 2004.11.10. i'm running osx.3.6, 512 ram, 15" TIBOOK 1 Ghz.

any ideas?

dominik
15" TiBook 1 Ghz, 512MB, DVD/CDRW OS X.4.1
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

There was a bug filed recently regarding this slowness issue. Builds after 11/04 started showing some sort of slowness, especially with scrolling. This is not only with Firefox either, also with Camino, so it might be due to some changes in the Gecko rendering engine.
rlrlrlrr

Trunk version

Post by rlrlrlrr »

Hello PowerBook,
Thank you so much for your work. I'm using this on my 17" PB and it is great!

My question:
I'm using 11.10 which my PowerBook seems to love. Will the Trunk version be even faster? Your note says to be sure and backup Profiles before using the Trunk version. I'm not sure what Profiles you mean. If I want to try the Trunk version, is stuff going to disappear from my PB?

Thanks again for all your work on this.
Jim
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

rlrlrlrr: your profile is located in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles
That contains all of your prefs, extensions, themes, etc

I tried using the Trunk version after backing up my profile, and basically, after I launched the trunk version, I could no longer use the branch version with that profile. I can't really explain why as I don't know the details. One thing I noticed about the trunk version is it has experimental extensions. Also, there is now a Themes and Extensions section in the Firefox preferences. Probably other stuff I missed as well, but I ended up reverting to the branch version.
neilio

Post by neilio »

I couldn't get the trunk to launch on my system, but that's what you get for bleeding edge. :)
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@dschneiderch. The slow scrolling is filed as a bug and not yet resolved.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268218

@rlrlrlrr. davedit answered this one nicelly.
To sum up: some people say Trunk is faster, mainly because of the updated Gecko engine. But it "upgrades" your profile so you cant go back to Branch builds. Backup, backup, backup!
I still prefer Branch myself, if you want to know...

@theNonsuch. Thats strange, but I guess we should not care.
At the moment I think its 'safer' to use branch builds. :)
Schlaefer

G3 Build

Post by Schlaefer »

Because I have a g3 iBook too, I was also interested in a g3 build. So i did. But as expected, there is not so much room for improvements. People should be happy with the official Firebird Build.

If somebody want to try: http://schlaefer.macbay.de/index.php/Main/FirefoxBuilds

Greetings
Schlaefer
dschneiderch

Post by dschneiderch »

powerbook wrote:@dschneiderch. The slow scrolling is filed as a bug and not yet resolved.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268218

i didn't say anythinga bout scrolling. it only lags when getting pages out of the cache using the "back" and "forward" buttons

Dominiik