[FX] PowerBook: 2005-07-16 [Trunk/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@wilton, great that you enjoy my builds. :)
Yes, if you get crashes and report them using talkback it will help the firefox developers to remove bugs.

I build Firefox using the same code as the "normal" build. The only difference is that I build it from CVS with optimization for G4.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Still not listed as a Mac build.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

sasquatch wrote:Still not listed as a Mac build.

I'll send a PM to baafie, asking him to add it to the list! ;)

11/01 ready...
Peo

Post by Peo »

Looks faster on my Powerbook 12" 1.33GHz
Only thing I don't like is that your build changed my dock icon back to that old blue globe :(
Anyway, very nice job.

Thanks.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@Peo. The blue globe icon are the standard icon for unofficial builds.
We are not allowed to use the official icon, but you could easily switch the icon yourself.
macdufus

Questions about this build

Post by macdufus »

I have a PB G4 1.5Gz, which seems to be in the targeted class for this build. What is done to this build to make it better for G4 Macs, and what are the specific performance changes people have found? Is it relatively stable? Does it affect any system setting outside of Firefox itself? And, how will this build be coordinated with the final 1.0 release? Will Firefox incorporate this build at all?
Many thanx
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@macdufus.
I compile from CVS, the only changes from the "official" nightly builds are my compiler flags and the different icon/graphics.
To make it run faster on G4 I specify compile flags for PPC7450 to GCC when building (See first post for details). This should make it run faster on the targeted system, but maybe slower or not at all on other system.
Regarding stability: I have been running my own builds for ~10 days now and had no stability problems. But its still in beta stage, so errors might happend. ;)

Coordinated with final 1.0? I dont understand...
I build whatever Mozilla come up with, I dont write a single line of code to the project!
Mozilla build generic builds (working on all supported platforms), while I build for PPC7450 specific.

New build compiling now... :D
macdufus

re:

Post by macdufus »

Thanx for the additional info powerbook! Sounds interestng - I will give the build a try. System profiler doesn't reveal the exact model of G4 Processor I run, but I assume if a have a Powerbook G4 1.5 Gz, I have the right system for your build?
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

11/02
jcraig

Post by jcraig »

PB,

Thanks for this. One thing, your server for the last couple days has been serving up the d/l as a text file, making Right-click/Save Link As necessary.
There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@jcraig.
I've noticed that since I switched from bzip2 to gzip compression.
Dont know if its a server or browser issue, but at least you guys are able to download. ;)
ankh

Post by ankh »

Well, there's no 11/2 Mac OSX official build yet, I'll give yours a try on the G3/900. I'll be back either with your Firefox, or else using Safari if FF blows up on my antique G3.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Ok, the one bit of good news for this evening for me.

I'm running on the 900 mhz G3, and using your G4 build successfully:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041102 Firefox/1.0RC2 (PowerBook)
OSX 10.3.5, 1024mb RAM

Aside from Talkback just disappearing -- its icon is still in the Dock but the Finder can't see it any more -- and the icon changing for FF from the fox to the globe as I guess is normal for unofficial builds -- it seems to run OK. Certainly no slower than the 11/1 official nightly for OSX, on first impression.

After rebooting -- yep, no sign of Talkback any more. Everything else seems to work.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

11/03
xebechene

Post by xebechene »

excellent :P
did you use a special method to build them for a G4 (i mean different from some build under linux) ?