[FX] PowerBook: 2005-07-16 [Trunk/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
awiebe

Post by awiebe »

I've been trying to do my own build optimized for the PowerPC 7455 (iMac G4 USB 2.0) but when it's running configure I get the following error:

configure: error: These compiler flags are invalid: -O3 -faltivec -mcpu=7455 -mtune=7455 -mpowerpc -mpowerpc-gfxopt
*** Fix above errors and then restart with "make -f client.mk build"

I tried removing some flags but it still doesn't work. I've never had an error like this before. Can anyone help?

EDIT!!!!!

It seems the problem was that I used 7455 which GCC does not support yet or something. I used G4 instead which works.
<Arthur/>
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@awiebe.
GCC does not support the flag 7455. You have to use one of these flags to optimize for a specific prosessor:
750 or G3
7400 or G4
7450 or G4+
970 or G5

My ppc7450 build is the one to use on your iMac G4, while the G4 build you compiled is optimized for an older G4 processor! ;)
Its not easy when there are two different processor families using the G4 name.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwins ... Notes.html
http://haxor.dk/articles/ppc.html
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

thanks for the build.. on my 12" pb it's noticably faster scrolling and tab opening.

Any chance you;ll do a build for thunderbird??? perdy pelase.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

^ Thanks for the feedback.
Of cource. I dont use Thunderbird myself, so I have never looked into it.
Lets see what I can come up with the next couple of days! ;)
Scorched

Post by Scorched »

Thanks for build powerbook.

What's the difference between the Aviary builds and the Trunk builds? I know they're part of different branches, but beyond that I don't know which one is the "best" to use.
awiebe

Post by awiebe »

powerbook wrote:@awiebe.
GCC does not support the flag 7455. You have to use one of these flags to optimize for a specific prosessor:
750 or G3
7400 or G4
7450 or G4+
970 or G5

My ppc7450 build is the one to use on your iMac G4, while the G4 build you compiled is optimized for an older G4 processor! ;)
Its not easy when there are two different processor families using the G4 name.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwins ... Notes.html
http://haxor.dk/articles/ppc.html

Yeah. I thought GCC should support 7455 but I guess it doesn't yet.

The reason I'm doing my own builds is to include SVG, XForms, and calendar. (And to try out some other optimization options)
<Arthur/>
dschneiderch

v1.0 optimized

Post by dschneiderch »

correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that aviary is the source that lead to v1 release (and then development is stopped) the trunk will lead to other releases such as 1.1. however, v1 was released nov 9 so how can there be an optimized aviary build from nov 11? mostly curious is all.
also, i noticed taht the latest builds are lacking in teh newest tabbed browsing features which i really like so i went back to v1 (it makes sense for trunk, i assume it was branched off before). however, v1 soooo slow in comparison. could you optimize from v1 source that would include those features? or is nov 11 build as far as you can go?
i guess i'm just not sure how the system works and am curious
thanks for all your work, dominik

ps. i love the new icon
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Dominik.
My latest Aviary build is from november 10. Firefox 1.0 are built on november 7, but they kept adding firefox specific bugfixes to the source until they closed it for firefox checkins the 10.
So basicly my 2004.11.10 build is Firefox 1.0 with 3 days extra of bugfixing... ;)

Building Aviary build beyond november 10 is stupid. First of all because there are no firefox work done to the source, and the Thunderbird development may even break some of the code.

Dont know what tabbed browing feature you talk about.
There should not be a difference between the official 1.0 and my build from the same date. Except of possibly a few fixes, because its not built on the exact same time of the day.
I could build from 1.0 source, but see no need for it when I have nightly build from the same day and even 3 days beyond! :)

MacGeneral (Arne) is responsible for the icons/graphics. Thank you Arne!
drdownload

Post by drdownload »

Im using your optimized builts since the first one and want to thank you for your great work. without the speed gain with your g4-builts i dont know how long it may have taken to switch to firefox. now the safari icon is even no more in my dock.

I just tried the trunk-built (of course with backing up my profile) and to be honest. Its another time significante faster then aviary. only thing a graphical clue with my theme and the go-button. however, its that much faster, that im thinking about using trunk in normal life. - that was just for the built/speed discussion
Powerbook 15"-1Ghz - MacOS 10.4.2 - Camino 0.9a+
drones

Post by drones »

can you post and leave up release builds? i tend to lean towards the release builds, but prefer them optimized. (1.0 should be sufficient)
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@drdownload. Thanks a lot for those kind words. :biggrin:
Really nice to hear that Firefox has replaced Safari as you main browser! ** another happy customer **

I follow the Trunk development closelly, ready to switch when they merged most of the current stuff from Aviary. At the moment it lacks too many of the useful Branch features, like Tabbed browsing settings and Find toolbar.

@drones. Sorry, I have no plans to build the release version of Firefox 1.0.
But my 2004.11.07 build is basically the same as FF 1.0, as it was built from CVS the same day. My 2004.11.10 build is ~1.0 with 3 extra days of bugfixing! ;)

drdownload

Post by drdownload »

@powerbook: your welcome. Ive also red the discussion about the G5 optimized built and I want to ask if you could also include the form widgets by Kevin Gerich (which are also used in firefoxy)?
Powerbook 15"-1Ghz - MacOS 10.4.2 - Camino 0.9a+
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

^ I dont like or use it myself, so it will not get into my builds.
The widgets on Firefox for Mac OS X are broken and should be fixed properly, then added to the source.
Not by using these unofficial patches, that introduce new problems.

Lets wait and hope for an official fix before Firefox 1.1! :D

quirinus

Thunderbird

Post by quirinus »

Love your version of Firefox, but any update on Thunderbird?
It seems to get slower with every release, so I'm wondering if maybe a G4 version would help...
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@quirinus. I tried this weekend, but was unable to get a complete build.
Obviously something wrong in the .mozconfig I used...

I cant be the only one with Xcode and a G4 processor around here! ;)