[FX] PowerBook: 2005-07-16 [Trunk/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
kodeen

Post by kodeen »

hi powerbook, i've been using your 7450 aviary builds since i got my mac in the winter, and i definitely appreciate your work.

i wonder if you would know of any reason why middle clicking doesn't work in your 1.0.5 build (niether opening tabs by middle clicking on a link or closing a tab my middle clicking on it.) besides that, the build seems to be working fine (hey, the buttons within pages don't look like windows 3.1 anymore. they're not native yet, but at least they look okay.) keep up the good work!
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

kodeen. Check the answer in my 1.0.5 thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1603459

Thanks for the heads up!
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

07/14
weerez

Post by weerez »

powerbook, I dont know if you read the thread (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=292096) about implementing auto update for third party builds. it looks like its possible (uses an xml file) and some people have already done this. i was just wondering if you were thinking about it.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

weerez. Auto update would be great, but I need to find some information about it before I can get started.
First of all I need to find out how to create the xpi incremental updater, then I need to get the builds to point to the correct server for updates.

It would help if you or someone else could point me to some documentation.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=292096 dont tell much...
carboncopy

Enter key on Location Bar BUG

Post by carboncopy »

Hi, I am having a bug which occurs only on powerbook build.

The bug occurs when I diable location bar autocomplete. By following the steps here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tip ... tocomplete

This what happened:
1. type carboncopy.rubeus.org/blog and press the Enter key
results: browse to carboncopy.rubeus.org/blog

2. type carboncopy.rubeus.org and press the Enter key
results: browse to carboncopy.rubeus.org/blog

====

If I press the go arrow/button on the location bar. It will go to the location I keyed in.

Forgive me if this has been discussed. But I still find the bug in 1.0.5 and as well on the newest DeerPark release.

What could have cause this that it only effect powerbook's build? I have not tested other custom build yet.
cyber-dissenting @ http://salinankarbon.com
dashbrd - Dashboard start/stop control
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

carboncopy. I have no idea why you experience this problem.
The only change between my builds and the official builds are that I add the "Pretty form widgets", which I dont think is the cause to this malfunction.

But the page you linked to stated this:
Note that this is not a clean solution. It will cause some errors appear in the JavaScript Console if you have chrome errors enabled and may cause the browser to malfunction.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

07/15

Todays most important resolved bugs:
298677 - Vertical scrollbar draws over toolbar and tabs when location or search bar has focus during scrolling :)
300058 - Artifacts near bottom of scrollbars
299419 - Crash [@ nsEventStateManager::FireContextClick]
ahancock

Post by ahancock »

thanks for the extra note re: fixes
klassa

the controls look different, and CSS isn't taking effect

Post by klassa »

The G4-specific build certainly seems faster... However, the controls look "odd". And at that, CSS styling isn't always taking effect. Is there a setting somewhere that enables the behavior of the standard Firefox build (in which these two issues don't occur)? For that matter, is this intentional :-), or have I run into a bug?

Thanks!
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@ahancock. You're welcome!
When I see some resolved bugs that I think its really worth mentioning I list them up.

@klassa. When you refer to "controls", do you mean the form widgets?
If so, how could you possibly say that they look more odd than the default ones? :shock:

Anyway, they are an attempt by 'phiw13' to make the form widgets look better than the butt-ugly default ones. Since the fix involves CSS styling it might very well have other CSS side effects. I dont know!

You can disable them like this: Replace the "DeerPark.app/Contents/MacOS/res/forms.css" with the forms.css from the official nightly build.
phiw13

Re: the controls look different, and CSS isn't taking effect

Post by phiw13 »

klassa wrote:The G4-specific build certainly seems faster... However, the controls look "odd". And at that, CSS styling isn't always taking effect. Is there a setting somewhere that enables the behavior of the standard Firefox build (in which these two issues don't occur)? For that matter, is this intentional :-), or have I run into a bug?

Not a bug. As Powerbook already noted, this is an attempt at making the form widgets a little bit more pretty, while we wait for real 'cocoa' widgets.

It is true that css styling by page authors is a bit more limited (especially for submit elements). As far as author styling is concerned, they behave just the same as the form widgets in Safari 1.3/2.0, and very close to what Camino (0.9a1) does (you can use that browser to have an idea on how the cocoa widgets will look like in Firefox). It is a 'best compromise'.

If you prefer, you can try to recycle Kevin's old attempt, but don't copy that css file blindly, as it does not work with the latest nightly builds.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Philippe, thanks for clearing out the CSS styling question.

While we are at it, I compiled a Firefox build with Cocoa widgets today.
Its broken in many ways, but it fun to see what coming in the not so distant future... :)

Here are the issues I have found so far:
* Pull-down menus (widgets) dont work.
* No taskbar (only a limited Deer Park menu).
* Keyboard shortcuts dont work.

It looks exactly the the picture Josh Aas posted here:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/josh/arc ... f_f_1.html
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/josh/arc ... et_wo.html

PM me for a link if you really want a copy.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

07/16
carboncopy

Post by carboncopy »

powerbook wrote:carboncopy. I have no idea why you experience this problem.
The only change between my builds and the official builds are that I add the "Pretty form widgets", which I dont think is the cause to this malfunction.

But the page you linked to stated this:
Note that this is not a clean solution. It will cause some errors appear in the JavaScript Console if you have chrome errors enabled and may cause the browser to malfunction.

Thanks. It must be the location bar auto complete thing. Cause without it, it works fine.

And again, thanks for your builds. It performs much better then the official builds. Especially when handling many many tabs.

Another thing which I have noted. The memory usage has drop tremendously. Which is great. I think.
cyber-dissenting @ http://salinankarbon.com
dashbrd - Dashboard start/stop control