could not find mozilla runtime

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
kaeding

could not find mozilla runtime

Post by kaeding »

could not find mozilla runtime. firefox 5.0.1. I searched the build and there is no file called firefox-bin

linux 2.6.39, GCC 4.6.0

Compiled and installed XULRunner 5.0.1. I don't know how to test it, so I assume it's ok.

Compiled firefox 5.0.1 with use_LIBXUL_DIST.patch and the correct configure switches --with-system-xul --with-xul-sdk=.... or somesuch.

Running firefox ALWAYS gives this response: Could not find mozilla runtime.

I tried replacing /usr/bin/firefox with a symlink to /usr/lib64/firefox-5.0.1/firefox.

I tried renaming it firefox-bin.

I tried editing run-mozilla.sh to call 'firefox' instead of 'mozilla-bin'.

I tried export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib64/xulrunner-5.0.1:/usr/lib64/xulrunner-devel-5.0.1/bin:/usr/lib64/firefox-5.0.1 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/xulrunner-devel-5.0.1/lib:/usr/lib64/firefox-5.0.1

I tried recompiling. I searched the source tree and the build tree for 'firefox-bin' and 'mozilla-bin'. Not found.

I tried compiling firefox 3.xxxx, but it will not compile with GCC 4.6.0. It wants -fpermissive, but adding that to the mozconfig file made no difference. Trying 'alias c++="c++ -fpermissive"' made no difference. Trying CXX="c++ -fpermissive" made no difference.
tqft

Re: could not find mozilla runtime

Post by tqft »

Without install firefox this is where my firefox executable ends up
/sourcetrees/programs/mozilla/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/ffpgo/browser/dist/bin/firefox %u
the file firefox in the line above calls firefox-bin
from my .mozconfig
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/sourcetrees/programs/mozilla/obj-@CONFIG_GUESS@/ffpgo

Did you do an install after building?
Also sometimes everything may work, but the system doesn't "know" that the executable is available - after compiling and installing something in particular, I run "sudo ldconfig" to force the system to acknowledge the new file
man ldconfig
ldconfig(8) ldconfig(8)

NAME
ldconfig - configure dynamic linker run-time bindings

SYNOPSIS
ldconfig [OPTION...]

DESCRIPTION
ldconfig creates, updates, and removes the necessary links and cache (for use by the run-time linker, ld.so) to the most recent shared libraries found in the
directories specified on the command line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted directories (/usr/lib and /lib). ldconfig checks the header and
file names of the libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their links updated. ldconfig ignores symbolic links when scanning for
libraries.