[CLOSED THREAD] Portable Firefox

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.

Post by ..,..,..,..,.., »

Hey, I don't want to be repetitive, but I'll repost this since it might have gotten overlooked. John, I primarily need your help on this one. Thanks

Hi. I installed PFF 1.0 about a week ago and love it. I tried the 1.0.1 beta, and immediately noticed that under Help | About, it still says FF 1.0, while on my "ground based" FF on my laptop, it says v. 1.0.1

So is it really using FF 1.0.1 or is it PFF 1.0 in a different packaging?

Really, the only reason to upgrade to 1.0.1 is for the IDN workaround, right? I'm using the IDND extension, so as long as the little box in the corner is green I know I'm safe. Otherwise, should I just wait for 1.1 to upgrade my PFF?

Also, I use the theme Noia 2.0 Extreme, and the only problem I'm encountering while using PFF 1.0 is that the skin doesn't use the little down arrow in the search area. In order to change search plugins, you click on the icon. When going from computer to computer, if the drive letter isn't the same, (ie, e: on one then f: on the other), there isn't a default searchplugin that starts up, meaning no icon, meaning no dropdown list, and to no avail, I'm stuck. So is there any way to resolve that problem with loading a searchplugin on start?

Thanks
-Brian
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

swdeliriousdude wrote:Hi. I installed PFF 1.0 about a week ago and love it. I tried the 1.0.1 beta, and immediately noticed that under Help | About, it still says FF 1.0, while on my "ground based" FF on my laptop, it says v. 1.0.1

Looks like this beta is currently 1.0 in a shiny new wrapper.

Yep, have a look at the revision string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

I'm assuming, for the moment, that this is intentional for some reason.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Scarrow wrote:
swdeliriousdude wrote:Hi. I installed PFF 1.0 about a week ago and love it. I tried the 1.0.1 beta, and immediately noticed that under Help | About, it still says FF 1.0, while on my "ground based" FF on my laptop, it says v. 1.0.1

Looks like this beta is currently 1.0 in a shiny new wrapper.

It was a mistake. Sorry bout that. I posted the wrong zip to my site. But, the main thing about the new release is actually the launcher, which *is* included in the current beta. I'm releasing another beta probably tomorrow that will include 1.0.1 and will be an open beta announced on the product page.

I'm still trying to weight the tradeoffs of being able to run anywhere out of the box with a semi-kludgey INI. ANd absolute vs relative paths. Still hoping for some input on those.

Regards,
John
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com

ruc2827 wrote:
swdeliriousdude wrote:My personal recommendation: Since your data is on an easily-looseable USB drive, I highly recommend if not beg that you create a master password to guard all the stored passwords. Make sure the status bar while forming a master password is at least halfway over. The more blue, the harder your password is to hack.

This is a little off topic, but while we are on the subject, another, more secure approach to managing all senstive data on a USB, including Portable Firefox, is to copy the entire Portable Firefox folder to an encrypted partition on the USB drive using software such as Cryptainer. This way, all sensitive information (Bookmarks, Saved Form Information, Cookies, and Saved Passwords) are protected by a strong 256-bit AES or 448-bit Blowfish pass phrase (in the case of Cryptainer ME or higher). Cryptainer is also available in a 128-bit free version, Cryptainer LE. Neither require any install on the host PC. Basically, you just run an EXE on the USB drive and authenticate to display the encrypted partition as a drive in Windows Explorer.

Russ

One thing that I just noticed with this at school, Cryptainer LE needs to be installed on the local machine. This is all peachy keen and it'll do it automatically, but at my school we have W2K and you need administrator rights to install anything. Lo and behold, I realized today that I can't access anything on the encrypted areas because I can't get the Cryptainer program to load in the first place.

Haha, it was fun experimenting though.
gregb7677

Post by gregb7677 »

yeah i noticed the same thing here at the library regarding cryptainer...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2

John, I think I e-mailed you about this problem - Not completely sure though. So here goes:

Everything works great with PFF 1.0, except for one thing. I use the Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) skin, and in the searchplugins box, it doesn't use a dropdown arrow, only uses the search engine's icon as the dropdown button. When I go from computer to computer, (E: to F:) then the icon disappears... as if it was defaulting to a search plugin that isn't there. Then I have to switch to the default skin, choose any engine (they're still in the list, it's just accessing the list that's the problem) and then I have to switch back. The plungs I have, (if it really matters) are:

Yahoo, Dictionary.com, Dogpile and Wikipedia.

Is this a problem with relative paths or something? is there any way to get the plugins to load up correctly whenever there's a drive letter change? I really love the skin and would hate to have to give it up.

Thanks
Brian
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

swdeliriousdude wrote:Is this a problem with relative paths or something? is there any way to get the plugins to load up correctly whenever there's a drive letter change? I really love the skin and would hate to have to give it up.

I just tested the Noia Extreme theme from update.mozilla.org in Portable Firefox 1.0 and it works fine when I move it to another drive letter. Not sure what the issue could be. Are you sure that you are using the officially available one from the mozilla.org site? (There are others that will ONLY work with the latest nightlies) Other than that, I can't really help you out. PFF won't be updated to fix specific skins or extensions unless someone else submits a patch for it to do so.

Also, I am *WAY* behind on email, so don't take it personally. There are still 96 in my inbox, a lot of it due to Portable Firefox et al. It's kinda ridiculous how demanding people are of someone who is a voluntarily releasing something for free, on their own time, and not getting paid anything to do it. I guess some people just don't get it. And, to be honest, the stress of it is wearing me down a bit.

BTW - Noia Extreme is a pretty cool theme. But, personally, I like the default along with my Black Highlight Luna XP skin.

Regards,
John
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com

Thanks John, I'll try to fiddle with it from my end.
luismanson

Post by luismanson »

i made a 1.0.1 porable firefox on windows 98 and it only works in 98 in xp it starts like a picture nothing works but i can close the windows, and on some other xp`s it does not even start (from the launcher)
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

This was split from the USB drive thread
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
CritterNYC

Portable Firefox 1.0.1 BETA 2

Post by CritterNYC »

Alright guys. I've got some GREAT news. I ironed out what I think are the last problems with the beta release launcher and added in a few new things since the first beta. The BIG news is that you can now copy a Firefox profile from anywhere else and drop it into Firefox. The new Portable Firefox launcher will make the necessary adjustments and all your extensions will be portable! This will even work for older versions of Portable Firefox profiles with relative extensions so PFF1.0.1 is now fully backwards compatible even with all the changes. I was more than a little psyched when I figured that one out, to say the least. The full details are in a new thread just for this version:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1303444

Please grab a download and test it out.

Side Note - Sorry if I've been a bit stressed lately and behind in email. This project, work and life in general has had me a bit swamped. But, I think the slew of new features in this release will be worth the wait!

Regards,
John

PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN RETIRED. YOU CAN FIND THE CURRENT THREADS BY VISITING THE PORTABLE FIREFOX PROJECT PAGE HERE:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/