Breathe new life into your G4/G5 - SeaMonkey for PPC

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
hikerbiker

Re: Breathe new life into your G4/G5 - SeaMonkey for PPC

Post by hikerbiker »

SeaMonkey 2.26 for PPC is now available

NEW PROJECT SITE - https://sourceforge.net/projects/seamonkey-for-ppc

Get your G4/G5 out of the closet and back to where it belongs - ONLINE
James

Post by James »

hikerbiker, are you going to build SeaMonkey 2.29 ?
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

I can get it to build BUT it crashes constantly seemingly randomly in about 6 or 7 different ways none of which make any sense as they usually are in deep down in the midst of DYLD Library calls - bad addresses pop up and boom it crashes

another problem is that the old gdb that runs on 10.5 can't seem to trace the stack because of decltype(nullptr) issues after mozilla switched over to using nullptr. I've managed to find the source for and build a 10.6 version on 10.5 that needed some hacking that can get around that issue most times and give me a trace however then SeaMonkey seems to run differently when i launch it on its own vs when i run it from within gdb. So it seems gdb has some effect on whats going on as well.

I dont know if any of this means anything to you but that's the situation and it's burning up a lot of time that i dont have on my end so far.

I'm working on it so hang in there - 2.26.1 is still good keep using it.

Thanks for the interest
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

i just realized you;re the moderator so maybe you do know a bit about code

here's an example of just one of the issues that i dug into today although i suppose they may all be tied together in some underlying way

Breakpoint 7, 0x8fe18844 in __dyld_stub_binding_helper_interface ()
r11 0xd8b1a44 227220036
r12 0x968d000 157863936
0xd8b1a44: 0x096a2a14
dyld_stub_binding_helper in section LC_SEGMENT.__TEXT.__text of /Applications/-PROJECTS-/SeaMonkey-PPC/-REPOSITORY-/comm-release/mozilla-seamonkey-for-ppc/mozilla/toolkit/library/build/XUL
0x968d000 <_mh_dylib_header>: 0xfeedface

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x00001018
0x8fe121c8 in __dyld__ZNK16ImageLoaderMachO19hasCoalescedExportsEv ()
(gdb) help bt
Print backtrace of all stack frames, or innermost COUNT frames.
With a negative argument, print outermost -COUNT frames.
Use of the 'full' qualifier also prints the values of the local variables.

(gdb) bt 7
#0 0x8fe121c8 in __dyld__ZNK16ImageLoaderMachO19hasCoalescedExportsEv ()
#1 0x8fe03dc8 in __dyld__ZN4dyld18findExportedSymbolEPKcbPPKN11ImageLoader6SymbolEPPKS2_ ()
#2 0x8fe13c80 in __dyld__ZN16ImageLoaderMachO16resolveUndefinedERKN11ImageLoader11LinkContextEPK11macho_nlistbPPKS0_ ()
#3 0x8fe14128 in __dyld__ZN16ImageLoaderMachO16doBindLazySymbolEPmRKN11ImageLoader11LinkContextE ()
#4 0x8fe058bc in __dyld__ZN4dyld14bindLazySymbolEPK11mach_headerPm ()
#5 0x8fe18850 in __dyld_stub_binding_helper_interface ()
#6 0x0d1add04 in js::frontend::CompileLazyFunction (cx=0x16a055f0, lazy={<HandleBase<js::LazyScript*>> = {<No data fields>}, ptr = 0xbfff20e4}, chars=0x1599414c, length=3427) at /Applications/-PROJECTS-/SeaMonkey-PPC/-REPOSITORY-/comm-release/mozilla/js/src/frontend/BytecodeCompiler.cpp:469

CompileOptions options(cx, lazy->version());
options.setOriginPrincipals(lazy->originPrincipals())
.setFileAndLine(lazy->source()->filename(), lazy->lineno())
.setColumn(lazy->column()) <--------------------------------dies here at line 469
.setCompileAndGo(true)
.setNoScriptRval(false)
.setSelfHostingMode(false);

0xd8b1a44 dyld_stub_binding_helper for call to a routine
0x968d000 base of /Applications/-PROJECTS-/SeaMonkey-PPC/-REPOSITORY-/comm-release/mozilla-seamonkey-for-ppc/mozilla/toolkit/library/build/XUL

0x4224a44 04224a44 17038: 0x001d3d5b __ZN2JS14CompileOptions9setColumnEj

CompileOptions &setColumn(unsigned c) { column = c; return *this; }
js/src/jsapi.h

blows up while dyld_stub_binding_helper_interface is trying to resolve the actual address of CompileOptions setColumn from line 469 in BytecodeCompiler.cpp

digging into XUL i find __ZN2JS14CompileOptions9setColumnEj at the expected offset calculated above yet the dyld routines somehow manage to mess up on some calculations and kaboom

XUL is about 153M in size so a size issue ???? maybe i need to play around with the order in which code is linked ????

using gcc 4.7.3, a compiler issue ????

dyld code makes a calculation to what is ultimately a jump too far ????

who knows ??? no debug version available for the OSX libraries so i'm SOL there ????

anyway that's what it is for now
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

anyone still interested in SeaMonkey for their PPC ? i know it's been a long time since a release but ...

been busy with work / life etc for the longest time and tracking down some issues with Fonts, Memory Map corruption etc but should have 2.33.1 in a week or so

i'd like some feedback as to how many folks out there still have any interest in or use for SeaMonkey-for-PPC

thanks
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

Thought i was going to have more time to devote to this but ran into issues ..... always friggin sumptin - should spend more time working on code to win the Lottery !

Anyway working on SeaMonkey for PPC as I can - need to get back to having QuickDraw plugin capabilities but a lot of stuff was gutted along the way - maybe doable maybe not ... we shall see and they're rolling out a new version this week so ... always easier to do incremental changes but when SeaMonkey fell behind for multiple release cycles ( for whatever reason Mozilla had ) made teh task all that more difficult when i finally got back to it

Anyway give me more time - i'll get something out - it'll be available when its available - PATIENCE ! assuming anyone gives a hoot anymore
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

SeaMonkey releases are currently stalled due to issues building for Windows so it's not clear when the next version will come out or what Gecko it will be built upon.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Ghibli

Post by Ghibli »

hikerbiker wrote:anyone still interested in SeaMonkey for their PPC ? i know it's been a long time since a release but ...

i'd like some feedback as to how many folks out there still have any interest in or use for SeaMonkey-for-PPC

thanks

Count me in. Thanks for the good work on a PPC-version.

P.S. I am using OS X 10.4.11, and it is not clear to me can I use the latest SM for PPC notwithstanding it is designated for 10.5.x ?
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

i doubt it'll work for you

i'm pretty much ready to give up on quickdraw plugins - worst comes worst they will be disabled from the powerup prefs executed by seamonkey - attempts to watch vids will result in prompts for applications that can play them - QuickTime will work in some cases but unless you have a standalone app that will run Flash you're SOL

i'm still working in trying to get CARBON/QUICKDRAW plugins to work but its not looking good right now
Ghibli

Post by Ghibli »

hikerbiker wrote:i doubt it'll work for you

True it didn't. Any plans to build a 10.4.x compatible version?
moto69

Post by moto69 »

hikerbiker wrote:anyone still interested in SeaMonkey for their PPC ? i know it's been a long time since a release but ...

thanks

Been using SeaMonkey (and Netscape before that) for a long time. Gonna keep using PPC as long I can get Sea Monkey, have it on several PPC Macs. Thanks for you work on this!
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

I also could use a SM version for 10.4.11 . . . I have two PPC computers that run very well on Tiger, but browser support is limited. The AmigaOne guys might also be in need for a PPC friendly browser.
SelVieux

Post by SelVieux »

Ok, I've got 2.22 of SeaMonkey running nicely on Jaguar OSX 10.5.8 on my iBook. Is 2.26.1 the end?
moto69 wrote:

thanks
Been using SeaMonkey (and Netscape before that) for a long time. Gonna keep using PPC as long I can get Sea Monkey, have it on several PPC Macs. Thanks for you work on this!
the latest?
MilkyCupcakes

Post by MilkyCupcakes »

Please tell me there's going to be future versions? :) SeaMonkey is the best web browser I've used since Netscape died. And I love my PowerPC macs ^_^