Light, a light firefox

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
LoudNoise

Re: Light, a light firefox

Post by LoudNoise »

Yeah. If you are concerned download it to your desktop and run it at www.virustotal.com . The free versions of both avast and AVG tend to be shrill.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
cstkingkey

Re: Light, a light firefox

Post by cstkingkey »

update to light 28.0
haqmoun

Re: Light, a light firefox (28.0)

Post by haqmoun »

Thank you for 28.0 !
Mateusz_Matera

Post by Mateusz_Matera »

We have added to our database http://www.programosy.pl/program,light.html Good job!
cstkingkey

Post by cstkingkey »

Mateusz_Matera wrote:We have added to our database http://www.programosy.pl/program,light.html Good job!

Thanks
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Mateusz_Matera wrote:We have added to our database http://www.programosy.pl/program,light.html Good job!

You might want to use the real name there i.e. Light (a light version of Firefox). Calling it Light Firefox, Firefox being a trademark, is likely going to get you a nasty email from the Foundation's Polish lawyers. cstkingkey's program and program name is not an issue. Your use of the term "Firefox" likely will be.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ianas

Post by ianas »

@cstkingkey
something got broke with v28
from your previos reply
light remove most of the certificates. there are two ways to solve the problem.
one, find the cert the website uses (for example, use ie) and add it to light.
two, download the nssckbi.dll in the other folder and replace the one in light with it.

none of those methods work, can't get to https://mega.co.nz
maybe your new cert verification has some bugs, can somebody using light get there https://mega.co.nz ?
Any suggestions?
cstkingkey

Post by cstkingkey »

ianas wrote:@cstkingkey
something got broke with v28
from your previos reply
light remove most of the certificates. there are two ways to solve the problem.
one, find the cert the website uses (for example, use ie) and add it to light.
two, download the nssckbi.dll in the other folder and replace the one in light with it.

none of those methods work, can't get to https://mega.co.nz
maybe your new cert verification has some bugs, can somebody using light get there https://mega.co.nz ?
Any suggestions?

new cert verification is developed by Mozilla. It do have some bugs now. Please read the wiki and discussion at my sf projects
george27

Post by george27 »

This is a great fork of Fx and a job well done. The extension Keefox 1.3.1 will no longer work in Light or will PassIFox. Would you be able to accommodate your build to use either of these Keepass extensions? Thanks in advance.
cstkingkey

Post by cstkingkey »

george27 wrote:This is a great fork of Fx and a job well done. The extension Keefox 1.3.1 will no longer work in Light or will PassIFox. Would you be able to accommodate your build to use either of these Keepass extensions? Thanks in advance.

Try the one with sync(only x86 available),or use the nss3.dll from that build.
Fender124C41

Can't access my Hotmail account, bookmarks gone

Post by Fender124C41 »

I've been using Light 27.0 and then updated to 28.0. Today after LOTS of Light not responding and sometimes just crashing completely I decided to reset it. I read that the bookmarks would be saved (but maybe that was for the regular Firefox.) Anyway, my bookmarks are gone! I looked into the profiles box and the bookmarks folder was empty. SO??????

Secondly, now I can't access my Hotmail account at all. I get the message

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to login.live.com. Certificate type not approved for application. (Error code: sec_error_inadequate_cert_type)

I see a few comments online about other people having the same problems.

So, are my bookmarks somewhere else on my computer? And is there a way I can access Hotmail again with Light. I can still access Hotmail through the regular Firefox.
Gemini6

Post by Gemini6 »

I like this idea of a light version of Firefox. Some time ago, I tried Light-26, then I dropped because it did not have printing. Now as Light-28 has printing support, I have been testing since a few days, and it is running very well. Thank you.
Then, I discovered that I cannot log in to my bank account. It says there is some kind of certificate error.
I read through this thread, and it seems that Light doesn't have necessary certificates. I downloaded and replaced nssckbi.dll, but still no joy.
I am wondering for which reason Light removes certificates. Removing certificates does not make a browser much lighter, does it?
Is it possible to offer a version of Light that can log in to secure sites?
These days all applications are becoming bigger and bigger in size with boated features. So, I really like this idea of making a light version of Firefox!!
cstkingkey

Re: Can't access my Hotmail account, bookmarks gone

Post by cstkingkey »

Fender124C41 wrote:I've been using Light 27.0 and then updated to 28.0. Today after LOTS of Light not responding and sometimes just crashing completely I decided to reset it. I read that the bookmarks would be saved (but maybe that was for the regular Firefox.) Anyway, my bookmarks are gone! I looked into the profiles box and the bookmarks folder was empty. SO??????

Secondly, now I can't access my Hotmail account at all. I get the message

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to login.live.com. Certificate type not approved for application. (Error code: sec_error_inadequate_cert_type)

I see a few comments online about other people having the same problems.

So, are my bookmarks somewhere else on my computer? And is there a way I can access Hotmail again with Light. I can still access Hotmail through the regular Firefox.

After your post,I found reseting profile is broken. If you delete the old profile and don't have any backups, you probably lost your bookmarks. I'm so sorry for that.
As for the certificate issue, please read the wiki and turn off the new cert verifier.
cstkingkey

Post by cstkingkey »

Gemini6 wrote:I like this idea of a light version of Firefox. Some time ago, I tried Light-26, then I dropped because it did not have printing. Now as Light-28 has printing support, I have been testing since a few days, and it is running very well. Thank you.
Then, I discovered that I cannot log in to my bank account. It says there is some kind of certificate error.
I read through this thread, and it seems that Light doesn't have necessary certificates. I downloaded and replaced nssckbi.dll, but still no joy.
I am wondering for which reason Light removes certificates. Removing certificates does not make a browser much lighter, does it?
Is it possible to offer a version of Light that can log in to secure sites?
These days all applications are becoming bigger and bigger in size with boated features. So, I really like this idea of making a light version of Firefox!!

Please read the wiki at my sf project and try turning off the new cert verifier.
I begin to remove certificates because some people try to remove the some default certs because of some security concerns. It's much easier to add one cert than remove one. And I notice that windows only include a few of certs and a lots of certs in firefox seem unnecessary . So I removed most certs according to the window's default list. It woks for the most time. Then I provide the original certs just in case.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

cstkingkey wrote:I begin to remove certificates because some people try to remove the some default certs because of some security concerns.

Probably not a good idea. Mozilla has actual security people maintaining that list and "some people" do all kinds of stupid things in the name of "security", usually based on rumors and hearsay. It's a slippery slope down that path towards a browser that won't actually do anything.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/