MozillaZine

Light, a light firefox

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
TheAlucardFH
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 9th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Post Posted August 9th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Great build, I tried it out, it's super fast just like the first mozilla!

However I did run into some "This connection is untrusted" issues with shoddy websites like Apple.com (If you try to download iTunes, it's in a iframe which cannot be added as an exception), this was easily fixed by getting the nssckbi.dll (391KB) from a normal Mozilla installation and putting it in the Light installation folder. I recommend this be done by default in the Light installer.

Another bizarre thing is Light doesn't support HTTPS:// links anymore, it keeps having sissy fits as if the computer date/time is incorrectly configured (and frankly, is my only issue with Light).

I also ran into a bizarre and rare issue with web apps (Shockwave Flash) on another shoddy website http://bingo.williamhill.com/ .
Everything is normal up until you start the game - it opens an unnavigable window with Adobe Flash plugin docked in, loads something then blurts this out:
An error has occurred.
You may need to refresh the application.
Please contact customer support if the problem persists.

Click here to close this message.

Your session has timed out.
After the current game has completed please log back into the application.

Which is very similar to the SSL/HTTPS crap Light has been causing.

Is there a fix for these that can be integrated in the actual installer? It would really make this unofficial build -the- best.

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted August 9th, 2014, 6:37 pm

TheAlucardFH wrote:Another bizarre thing is Light doesn't support HTTPS:// links anymore, it keeps having sissy fits as if the computer date/time is incorrectly configured (and frankly, is my only issue with Light).


If the date/time is not right, all ssl related software may complain since the certificate is related to date/time. If everything is right except light is not supporting https links, please attach a screenshot or something to show that.

As for the built-in certificates, Light has a limited set. You can always add a exception(add certificate directly if necessary) or replace the nssckbi.dll as you did.

TheAlucardFH
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 9th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Post Posted August 10th, 2014, 7:39 am

cstkingkey wrote:
TheAlucardFH wrote:Another bizarre thing is Light doesn't support HTTPS:// links anymore, it keeps having sissy fits as if the computer date/time is incorrectly configured (and frankly, is my only issue with Light).


If the date/time is not right, all ssl related software may complain since the certificate is related to date/time. If everything is right except light is not supporting https links, please attach a screenshot or something to show that.

As for the built-in certificates, Light has a limited set. You can always add a exception(add certificate directly if necessary) or replace the nssckbi.dll as you did.


As I said. My Date/Time is right and happens to every website that has https:// , I remove the "s" and it resolves the problem.
This was fixed permanently by replacing nssckbi.dll. (Both the SSL/Certificate errors for https:// and connection is untrusted)
I was asking if you could make the nssckbi.dll inclusion default for Mozilla Light, since it impedes a lot of "common" browsing sessions.
It's 100% guarantee to happen in the iframe on the left at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ .

There's still that Web Apps problem with Adobe Flash on this website:
http://bingo.williamhill.com/minilobby? ... 20Basement (You need to log-in and start a game),
(If you don't log-in, it will redirect you to a normal log-in webpage that loads properly, it won't load the erroneous Adobe Flash application),
(The page works fine on Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, etc. etc. without error, it's just Light that has the issue).
You should make some spam e-mail on the website to troubleshoot this yourself and test it out yourself.
I'm only blindly guessing, but it might be the "webapp" component you removed.
Since it's a compiled flash application, I can't get any error codes or troubleshooting myself and I'm finding myself too lazy to get the source code for Firefox and try to compile it myself and figure out what goes wrong, sorry :(

PS:
cstkingkey wrote:As for the built-in certificates, Light has a limited set. You can always add a exception(add certificate directly if necessary) or replace the nssckbi.dll as you did.

This is tedious to do, especially for clueless customers who just want a working browser.

PSS:
[suggestion] Can you restore the theme by default to not look like Chromium? The chromium theme has issues with some Windows Themes such as the Classic/98 one. It starts to flicker on some PC's and is an obvious rip off of Chrome's theme, and it's much more bulkier than the original Firefox one. The add-on Classic Theme Restorer fixes this, but it could be added to this build by default.

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted August 10th, 2014, 8:21 am

TheAlucardFH wrote:...

The connection to the website is very slow for me. And I got a lot of reset errors. So sorry...
For the nssckbi, I won't restore it to the official set since I spend much time to determine the specific set. As I said, you can replace it.
For the classic theme, I once provide classic theme builds. But the users of Light is limited and the use of classic theme builds is more limited, and I don't use them ,while it's a huge burden, so I gave up.
For the addon, since it's an addon and some may not like it, I won't ship it with Light.

lhorace2
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: August 12th, 2014, 4:37 am

Post Posted August 12th, 2014, 4:42 am

I read here https://code.google.com/p/lightfirefox/ ... etail?id=2 that light has Firefox sync enabled? I have Firefox 31.0 64 VC build and I can't find the option for 'identity.fxaccounts.enabled'? How do you enable it ?

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted August 12th, 2014, 5:19 am

lhorace2 wrote:I read here https://code.google.com/p/lightfirefox/ ... etail?id=2 that light has Firefox sync enabled? I have Firefox 31.0 64 VC build and I can't find the option for 'identity.fxaccounts.enabled'? How do you enable it ?

Only specific builds have sync support.
For 31.0, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightf ... 2/vc_sync/

ofhuman
 
Posts: 17
Joined: May 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Post Posted September 6th, 2014, 12:50 pm

I'm having trouble with getting Status Text and a progress meter to show and I've tried various combinations of Add-On bars, Status Bar or Status4evar.
Also, addons to replace Add-On bars include the text below the icon rather than the icon only (as in the standard Add-On bar).
Not a big complaint as Light has a tiny footprint and is much better with Flash than recent Mozilla versions. But I would like to see Status/what sites are sending after they've loaded and the progress meter in an add-on bar.

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted September 7th, 2014, 9:14 pm

ofhuman wrote:I'm having trouble with getting Status Text and a progress meter to show and I've tried various combinations of Add-On bars, Status Bar or Status4evar.
Also, addons to replace Add-On bars include the text below the icon rather than the icon only (as in the standard Add-On bar).
Not a big complaint as Light has a tiny footprint and is much better with Flash than recent Mozilla versions. But I would like to see Status/what sites are sending after they've loaded and the progress meter in an add-on bar.

Can you be more clear? To be clear, which addon is not working?

ofhuman
 
Posts: 17
Joined: May 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Post Posted September 8th, 2014, 6:52 am

cstkingkey wrote:
ofhuman wrote:I'm having trouble with getting Status Text and a progress meter to show and I've tried various combinations of Add-On bars, Status Bar or Status4evar.
Also, addons to replace Add-On bars include the text below the icon rather than the icon only (as in the standard Add-On bar).
Not a big complaint as Light has a tiny footprint and is much better with Flash than recent Mozilla versions. But I would like to see Status/what sites are sending after they've loaded and the progress meter in an add-on bar.

Can you be more clear? To be clear, which addon is not working?


1.) Status Text and a progress meter will not appear in any version of an "add-on" toolbar (the toolbar that resides at the bottom of the screen).
2.) The add-on, "Status Bar", will not accept any Tools or Features when I attempt to drag them in via the customize screen. It's a blank or empty toolbar in Light.
So, neither the standard configuration of the (Firefox/Aurora) "Add-On" toolbar nor any third-party solution allow me to see the Status Text of a site in Light.
And Light can't accept a progress meter in a standard or third-party add-on tool bar. Again, I use this term to describe to toolbar that resides at the bottom of the screen.

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted September 8th, 2014, 6:58 am

ofhuman wrote:1.) Status Text and a progress meter will not appear in any version of an "add-on" toolbar (the toolbar that resides at the bottom of the screen).
2.) The add-on, "Status Bar", will not accept any Tools or Features when I attempt to drag them in via the customize screen. It's a blank or empty toolbar in Light.
So, neither the standard configuration of the (Firefox/Aurora) "Add-On" toolbar nor any third-party solution allow me to see the Status Text of a site in Light.
And Light can't accept a progress meter in a standard or third-party add-on tool bar. Again, I use this term to describe to toolbar that resides at the bottom of the screen.

firefox now don't have addon-on toolbar.

ofhuman
 
Posts: 17
Joined: May 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Post Posted September 14th, 2014, 7:06 am

cstkingkey wrote:
ofhuman wrote:1.) Status Text and a progress meter will not appear in any version of an "add-on" toolbar (the toolbar that resides at the bottom of the screen).
2.) The add-on, "Status Bar", will not accept any Tools or Features when I attempt to drag them in via the customize screen. It's a blank or empty toolbar in Light.
So, neither the standard configuration of the (Firefox/Aurora) "Add-On" toolbar nor any third-party solution allow me to see the Status Text of a site in Light.
And Light can't accept a progress meter in a standard or third-party add-on tool bar. Again, I use this term to describe to toolbar that resides at the bottom of the screen.

firefox now don't have addon-on toolbar.


I wrote, "...Light can't accept a progress meter in a standard or third-party add-on tool bar."

I'm using Firefox 32.02 as well as the Nightly Aurora 33+ and both accept the Status-4-Evar add-on.
Thus, as the author explains, "The extension provides "Status Text", "Progress Meter", "Download Status", and "Legacy Status Bar" (Firefox 29+) items. These toolbar items can be moved wherever you want by customizing the toolbars. Behavior of the toolbar items, and other additional settings, can be controlled in the Status-4-Evar preferences."
It also accepts any/all icons available in the customize windows and/or custom icons.
No, you haven't responded to my complaint of why this works in current official Mozilla builds and none this can't be accomplished in Light.

Diamanti
 
Posts: 710
Joined: June 12th, 2008, 9:02 am

Post Posted September 14th, 2014, 7:17 am

FF Light support in the future nsCMSSecureMessage?

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted September 16th, 2014, 12:40 am

ofhuman wrote:No, you haven't responded to my complaint of why this works in current official Mozilla builds and none this can't be accomplished in Light.

light is not firefox, unlike most third party firefox builds.
Light don't ship many components in firefox. In this case, common service components is required, but not available.

No, no and no. I have no responsibility to respond to you.

cstkingkey
 
Posts: 123
Joined: October 30th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Post Posted September 16th, 2014, 12:44 am

:?
Diamanti wrote:FF Light support in the future nsCMSSecureMessage?


I'm afraid the answer is no.

ofhuman
 
Posts: 17
Joined: May 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Post Posted October 2nd, 2014, 6:24 am

Go figure...
I tried the 'installer' version of 32.r2 released a few days ago and the Status Bar and all features appear and perform properly. Same build (seemingly) as before so the response above ("common service components is required, but not available") is puzzling if not wrong.
Now I'm concerned if the next update of Light will wipe out those very features that never worked before. Too bad, it still has a footprint that is about 20% smaller than FF or Nightly builds and Light has less problems with Flash.

Return to Third Party/Unofficial Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests