Changing SeaMonkey name

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
rainydayz

Changing SeaMonkey name

Post by rainydayz »

I'm building SeaMonkey on Debian, basically trying to build Iceape but falling at almost the first hurdle.
I can get it build as "iceape" by adding "ac_add_options --with-app-name=iceape" to my .mozconfig.
How do I change the name as displayed within the app once it's built?

I've tried --with-app-basename & --with-app-displayname in .mozconfig, I've tried explicitly exporting MOZ_APP_BASENAME & MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME, I've tried changing the name values in suite/confvars.sh.
Googling mostly brings up pages discussing building Firefox and mostly seems to boil down to changing the values of the MOZ_APP_ environment variables.

What do I need to do to change "SeaMonkey" to "Iceape" in the title bar & Help->About?
cstkingkey

Re: Changing SeaMonkey name

Post by cstkingkey »

rainydayz wrote:I'm building SeaMonkey on Debian, basically trying to build Iceape but falling at almost the first hurdle.
I can get it build as "iceape" by adding "ac_add_options --with-app-name=iceape" to my .mozconfig.
How do I change the name as displayed within the app once it's built?

I've tried --with-app-basename & --with-app-displayname in .mozconfig, I've tried explicitly exporting MOZ_APP_BASENAME & MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME, I've tried changing the name values in suite/confvars.sh.
Googling mostly brings up pages discussing building Firefox and mostly seems to boil down to changing the values of the MOZ_APP_ environment variables.

What do I need to do to change "SeaMonkey" to "Iceape" in the title bar & Help->About?

You need change the name in the "branding" file
truffle

Post by truffle »

I am curious about the why you would want to "replicate" Iceape.
The reason Ice* rebranding existed in the first place concerned the distribution within Debian repositories, with Debian patches and without the trademarked logos.
If you are packaging Seamonkey for personal use or even a small redistribution among your peers, I think the rebranding is redundant.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, or that it is wrong, probably it is just for fun, I'm just saying that it would be unnecessary.

As a sidenote, if you are willing, capable and interested, why don't you contact Mike Hommey and see if you can contribute to an admittedly unlikely resuscitation of the Iceape project? ;)

Bye and take care.
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
rainydayz

Post by rainydayz »

I originally started with the hope of updating the IceApe project, possibly to re-introduce it to Debian. I think I continued with this more out of bloody-mindedness than anything else - although having seen the history of the Ice* branding I think bloody-mindedness is probably best left behind.
Other constraints on my time mean that I don't have time to deal with it any more - I build a 64-bit version of SeaMonkey for my own consumption, and I'm happy enough with that.
epp

Post by epp »

truffle wrote:I am curious about the why you would want to "replicate" Iceape.
The reason Ice* rebranding existed in the first place concerned the distribution within Debian repositories, with Debian patches and without the trademarked logos.

Iceape was dropped beginning with Debian 7 (Wheezy), which I believe was a mistake, IMHO.

I would like to see it return.
Debian unstable