Moved to Palemoon.

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Aretak

Moved to Palemoon.

Post by Aretak »

I upgraded to Pale Moon instead. At least there's still one sensible developer maintaining a version of Firefox.
"Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Hate FF29 and the new interface? Upgrade to FF ESR!

Post by malliz »

Yep go ahead and when the Palemoon dev gets another job another interest or decides the bitrot involved in trying to fork the code is too much work and gives up or has to use the Australis code.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Aretak wrote:I upgraded to Pale Moon instead. At least there's still one sensible developer maintaining a version of Firefox.

Which is the problem. There is one developer. A single person, or a small group of people, will not be able to maintain independent development of the program as Version 29 starts to become different from the Mozilla release.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Aretak

Post by Aretak »

Two meaningless FUD posts in a row from Australis users, as you'd expect. Pale Moon received a nice major update three days ago. If at some point in the future its development status changes, perhaps I will have to re-evaluate my choice. But right now Pale Moon is fantastic, whereas right now Firefox is a joke. I'll worry about the future when it arrives.

And hey, speaking of the future, who can say what it holds for mainline Firefox either? With its market share continuing to slide and Mozilla still utterly dependent on Google money, perhaps we'll all be using Chrome soon enough...
"Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Remember Flock? Another fork of Firefox that was extremely well funded and had some major devs working on it and it is now defunct. Next time you call someone a Fanboy be prepared to back it up with proof. If you had checked I have been more than vocal and like many of us here went toe to toe with the devs trying to revert the worst of the changes. Where were you?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Aretak wrote:Two meaningless FUD posts in a row from Australis users, as you'd expect. Pale Moon received a nice major update three days ago. If at some point in the future its development status changes, perhaps I will have to re-evaluate my choice. But right now Pale Moon is fantastic, whereas right now Firefox is a joke. I'll worry about the future when it arrives.

And hey, speaking of the future, who can say what it holds for mainline Firefox either? With its market share continuing to slide and Mozilla still utterly dependent on Google money, perhaps we'll all be using Chrome soon enough...

Not fud at all. Pale Moon's updates rarely include any original programing. The last set up of updates were security updates from Mozilla, a couple of fixes to problems they have introduced on their own and a few fixes to make sure that mozilla does not get credit for searches.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Split off the ESR thread as off topic.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Aretak wrote:Two meaningless FUD posts in a row from Australis users, as you'd expect.

Here's a non-Australis user telling you that anyone who seriously thinks that they can support a fork of Firefox UI on their own without wide community support for the long haul is either naive, crazy, or just flat-out full-of-it. Many of us here have watched True UI forks come and go. Back in the day when Embeddable Firefox was still supported which made creating UI forks MUCH easier, there were dozens of them. And I don't know of a single one of those projects that survived a year after the abandonment of Embedded support in Firefox 4.0. Now there's a handful of builders claiming they can support what a few hundred developers failed to be able to 3 years ago. Sure, maybe for a few months. Heck, maybe for a year if you are really really lucky. But eventually Mozilla is going to decide that they are tired of supporting X feature set and Y buttons and before you know it your UI Fork doesn't resemble Firefox in any way. Themes and Extensions will no longer work with both no matter how much you wish for, and eventually Mozilla will force the fork to change their GUID because of compatibility and then it will suddenly loose the entire Firefox Addons market that it depended on as a selling point.

You can believe what you like, but that's the reality until someone proves otherwise.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

malliz wrote:Remember Flock? Another fork of Firefox that was extremely well funded and had some major devs working on it and it is now defunct. Next time you call someone a Fanboy be prepared to back it up with proof. If you had checked I have been more than vocal and like many of us here went toe to toe with the devs trying to revert the worst of the changes. Where were you?

Didn't Flock drop Gecko as of when Firefox 3.0 was released and switch to WebKit based Chrominum before its' demise?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Moved to Palemoon.

Flock devs began switching over to Chromium shortly after Firefox 3.6 came out. But by then the writing was on the wall anyway. Even if they had stayed with Gecko, they would have been DOA when Firefox 4.0 was released without Embedded support.

And Flock wasn't some one-off part-time project by one guy in his spare time. It was an incorporated company with big money venture capital investors and were worth tens of millions of dollars. They probably paid more for their icon sets than Mozilla ever has.... they were top notch work.

I suppose it's arguable that as a work of personal interest, PaleMoon has more going for it than a strictly for-cash operation like Flock, but it's hard to ignore the fact that Flock collapsed after switching to an engine with a Rapid Release development and many new changes coming in short order.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Camino managed to survive for three more years without embedded support. However, that was what did it in mostly.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Camino only lasted that long because Mozilla continued to support Firefox 3.6 for so long after Firefox 4.0 came out... a whole year and half beyond the typical life support.... and the 3.6 branch was deeply behind on Platform security updates by the time it was EOL, as it only got non-Core patches. The same would presumably happen if anyone tried to do something crazy like really fork Firefox 24 and apply patches to it.
James

Post by James »

Aretak wrote:Two meaningless FUD posts in a row from Australis users, as you'd expect. Pale Moon received a nice major update three days ago. If at some point in the future its development status changes, perhaps I will have to re-evaluate my choice. But right now Pale Moon is fantastic, whereas right now Firefox is a joke. I'll worry about the future when it arrives.

The so called update was just for security as the real Firefox 24.6.0 ESR which is based on the old Firefox 24.0 is being released by Mozilla on Tuesday for the Enterprise users.

Google just pays Mozilla so as to be the default search engine in Firefox.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Aretak wrote:And hey, speaking of the future, who can say what it holds for mainline Firefox either? With its market share continuing to slide and Mozilla still utterly dependent on Google money, perhaps we'll all be using Chrome soon enough...

And hey, speaking of FUD
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

What can be said about anything about the future? When AOL released Netscape to Open Source the online world was a very different place. Had AOL/Time Warner known that Netflex, Hulu and Pandora were going to be around in the second decade of the twenty first century it would have never happened.
Post wrangler