Addon/script/etc to install all addons from AMO?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
avada

Addon/script/etc to install all addons from AMO?

Post by avada »

Hello!

It's really frustrating that I can't install or even download some addons because they're marked not compatible with my ff version and the install button is greyed. I can decide for myself what's compatible.
Can I force enable the install buttons? With a script or addon.
There's supposedly addons compatibility reporter. But that adds crap/bloat that I have no care for. I just want the install buttons enabled.
TheVisitor

Re: Addon/script/etc to install all addons from AMO?

Post by TheVisitor »

avada wrote:Hello!

It's really frustrating that I can't install or even download some addons because they're marked not compatible with my ff version and the install button is greyed. I can decide for myself what's compatible.
Can I force enable the install buttons? With a script or addon.
There's supposedly addons compatibility reporter. But that adds crap/bloat that I have no care for. I just want the install buttons enabled.

Your asking in wrong place - check with / in the palemoon forums.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

And Compatibility reporter is not some huge bloating addon the download is only 112k. Your choice run through hoops download the XPI's or install an addon
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

I think you can download estensions from AMO as .xpi files instead of installing them directly if you disable javascript using NoScript and use right click-->Save Link as.

I've run into the issue you're talking about sometimes,but now I can't reproduce it:I can always download even incompatible addons with my setup,I think it may be because of NoScript,or possibly blocking cookies,frankly I don't know exactly how I've circumvented this.

Maybe changing temporarily the user agent could also work?
avada

Post by avada »

Drumbrake wrote:I think you can download estensions from AMO as .xpi files instead of installing them directly if you disable javascript using NoScript and use right click-->Save Link as.

I've run into the issue you're talking about sometimes,but now I can't reproduce it:I can always download even incompatible addons with my setup,I think it may be because of NoScript,or possibly blocking cookies,frankly I don't know exactly how I've circumvented this.

Maybe changing temporarily the user agent could also work?

But only from the main section it seems. Which most of the time means only the latest version. The versions section only redirects there.

malliz wrote:And Compatibility reporter is not some huge bloating addon the download is only 112k. Your choice run through hoops download the XPI's or install an addon

Package size is not quite correlated with bloat. Installing functionality which I never use is a waste of resources anyways.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

avada wrote:
malliz wrote:And Compatibility reporter is not some huge bloating addon the download is only 112k. Your choice run through hoops download the XPI's or install an addon

Package size is not quite correlated with bloat. Installing functionality which I never use is a waste of resources anyways.

You make no sense at all...... first you want something to make installing out of date extensions possible and then you claim you will never use it? Seriously think your just being difficult for effect.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
avada

Post by avada »

malliz wrote:
avada wrote:

You make no sense at all...... first you want something to make installing out of date extensions possible and then you claim you will never use it? Seriously think your just being difficult for effect.

I'd use neither of the addons actual features. It's claimed that the website will let me install all the incompatible addons too if I have it installed. (It would require the detection of the addon).
Anyway, just tried it and it doesn't work. (anymore?)

BTW it made loading the addons section like 5-10 times slower...
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

Actually, there's a remarkably simple fix for this. Even though the download button is greyed out, it's still clickable. Click it, a pop-up page will warn that the add-on is marked as incompatible, but there's an "Install anyway" link there. Click that and the add-on should be installed. No hacks or tweaks necessary.
avada

Post by avada »

Trippynet wrote:Actually, there's a remarkably simple fix for this. Even though the download button is greyed out, it's still clickable. Click it, a pop-up page will warn that the add-on is marked as incompatible, but there's an "Install anyway" link there. Click that and the add-on should be installed. No hacks or tweaks necessary.

Ummm. No. It may have been at one point. Memory's a bit fuzzy. Now it's just text with a button like background.
Look lik it's easiest to get the link from the source with the inspector.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Moved to 3rd-party builds as the OP is apparently not using an official Firefox build.
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

avada wrote:
Trippynet wrote:Actually, there's a remarkably simple fix for this. Even though the download button is greyed out, it's still clickable. Click it, a pop-up page will warn that the add-on is marked as incompatible, but there's an "Install anyway" link there. Click that and the add-on should be installed. No hacks or tweaks necessary.

Ummm. No. It may have been at one point. Memory's a bit fuzzy. Now it's just text with a button like background.
Look lik it's easiest to get the link from the source with the inspector.

Hmm, image taken just now. Seems to work fine here!

avada

Post by avada »

Weird. It doesn't work like that here not with PM24, not with FF24. (Empty profiles) Which addon is that? Does it work like that for Greasemonkey 2.0? (Trying with v24)
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

Strange! I've just restarted PM in Safe Mode to disable all of the add-ons and it still works for me just as it does in the image above.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

In SeaMonkey, if the extension/theme claims to work with your version, the button is green. If the extension/theme works up to SeaMonkey 2.1, the button is gray but clickable like Trippynet's image above. If the extension/theme is compatible with anything less than SM 2.1, the button is gray and not clickable.

Turning off JavaScript will turn the button blue in all cases and clicking it will try to install in SeaMonkey. Right clicking it will allow you to download the extension/theme. I'm sure it would do the same in Firefox.

So, the button does different things depending on how far back the add-on claims for compatibility. Turning JavaScript off will allow you to bypass the page's checking system. Firefox or SeaMonkey may still not allow the extension to be installed, though.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can bump up the max version for the target application in the install.rdf file inside the .xpi file. I like the tip about disabling the checking system. I was using User Agent Switcher to get around the blocks.