Different look with two profiles that have the same theme

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
XTAL256

Different look with two profiles that have the same theme

Post by XTAL256 »

Hi all,

I just switched from Firefox (which i stopped upgrading at version 14) to Pale Moon. The migration was quite simple, just copying the contents of the old profile directory to the new one.

I am using a my own custom theme, which is a mix of Firefox 1.5 and 3.0 themes.

When I migrated my profile on my home computer over to Pale Moon, I noticed that there were some problems with my theme, mainly with the look of the tab bar.

However, the profile on my work computer does not have these problems, despite having the exact same theme. I even tried replacing my home profile with my work one, and the theme looks fine. So the problem must exist in my home theme. But I don't know what could cause it, the two profiles are mostly the same, except for a few extensions.

malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Different look with two profiles that have the same them

Post by malliz »

Palemoon has it's own forum.
http://forum.palemoon.org/
I would try there as we are unable to provide support
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
XTAL256

Post by XTAL256 »

So you think it's something specific to Pale Moon then? I thought the code base was mostly the same as Firefox. Also, I don't see a "Theme Development" section on their forum.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Mostly. Since the problem appeared when the op switched from Firefox to pale moon it is likely caused by the fellow who compiles it. We have only one member who regularly posts here who uses pale moon so specific help should take place there.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
XTAL256

Post by XTAL256 »

Actually, I have seen these problems before when I was using Firefox. I never found why the problem occurred, it just went away one day. And now it's back when I switched to Pale Moon. So I figure it's some weird and intermittent problem with one or more of my CSS rules.
I've posted over at the Pale Moon forums too, just in case they can help.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Does it happen with the current release of Firefox? If the problem occurred with Firefox version 24 and not since then the mystery is solved.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
XTAL256

Post by XTAL256 »

Ah, I didn't try that. All I know is that it worked in Firefox 14.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Version 14 was a number of months ago. i would suggest you download http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable and see it the problem still exists. Frankly, if you have a problem that came to light after version 14 I would assume that is was CSS hack that no longer works. That is the price of progress.
Post wrangler
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Version 14 was a number of Years ago 2012 to be exact and the chances of anyone still using it and having an idea of the causes of your problem are at the best slim.
Plus the PM people will have more idea of what they have not changed in regards to themes
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

In some aspects, Palemoon is not compatible with official edition with the same profile.
XTAL256

Post by XTAL256 »

Oh yeah? And which aspects is that?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

XTAL256 wrote:Oh yeah? And which aspects is that?

Does it matter? When you make a theme then dog wags tail, not the other way around.

You made a theme for Firefox 14 and now 2 years later it doesn't work 100% on later/different versions? Get the DOM Inspector out, find out what's going on and fix your theme.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)