palemoon

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Lassar

palemoon

Post by Lassar »

Firefox is really going downhill with their interface. It keeps getting worst and worst.

Well, you could always go Palemoon and forget about FireFox.

Palemoon is a optimized version of Firefox. Faster then Firefox. And a better interface than firefox.

Palemoon keeps the most useful gui stuff that Firefox threw away.

Like not going with the Australis interface, and showing a link url in the status bar.
-
Curious about the FCC GROL License ?
Lassar

temp

Post by Lassar »

Firefox is losing their uniqueness. They are trying look like chrome, instead of their own unique look.

If you liked the old firefox, then you should try out Palemoon.

It's a optimized version of Firefox with the interface that firefox used to have.

No Australis interface!
-
Curious about the FCC GROL License ?
LoudNoise

Re: palemoon

Post by LoudNoise »

Lassar-
Kindly don't try to turn support and discussion threads that have nothing to do with Palemoon into Palemoon threads. The ESR 24 thread was trying to help a fellow by explaining what ESR is about and also fixing a problem he had with Firefox.

The other was a discussion about Fx 30.0

That fact you like Palemoon and dislike Firefox had nothing to do with either topic
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Prince_Rogue

Post by Prince_Rogue »

With so much going downhill especially in terms of accessibility, when I migrate to the Mac, I will be using Apple's built in screen reader. This means the native apps fully supports this screen reader. Many third party apps also supports this but not all. So I will stick to the native apps as much as possible and that means Safari. OS X is a steep learning curve after many years of Windows.

Firefox was good but there are some issues in Microsoft's own OS that FF and even IE have trouble overcoming. So I am shifting gears and turning the sterring wheel in a different direction.

And by the way, thanks go to Loudnoise and others who did in fact help me here. :)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Just an FYI, him posting in your thread is a hoot. Palemoon is compiled in a way that removes all of the accessibility help in Firefox.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Prince_Rogue

Post by Prince_Rogue »

That is why I ignored it. But how did he hijack my thread? LOL I just now realized it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Your question was a straightforward question about ESR and a question about a problem-- it had nothing to do with alternatives to Firefox. If it did, Palemoon wouldn't be a reasonable one to suggest in your case. Since it had little to nothing to do with the topic at hand it is easier to get it moved rather then wait for the silliness hijacked threads usually involved.

Think of it as traffic management. He was trying to park his FX sux use palemoon is a area clearly marked being ESR only. I simply towed it were it belonged.
Post wrangler
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

Maybe we can start a new thread to tell the guys what is the difference between official edition and other custom builds, but I am busy at present.

ps:
I don't know why Palemoon users posted the war posts everywhere, and don't you know if no Firefox, there will be no Palemoon all editions, and if no Firefox 24 ESR, there will be no Palemoon latest editions?
And you can see its code, except UI, few CSS modifications, few about:config changes, the smooth scroll UI config, and some modules removal, there is no improvement and other code changes in Palemoon, if you told me he use Automatic Parallelization, what I only do is to smile, his Automatic Parallelization code is fully wrong.

ps2:
Palemoon always claims that he will not use Australis or some new things, and in fact, he uses Firefox 24.x ESR code, of course 24.x branch has no UX UI. Why don't you use 24.x ESR edition?

ps3:
At present, all of us know Palemoon's source code depends on 24.x ESR, but why his users don't know? Don't you think he use the latest Firefox source code? Don't you think the author has the ability to build the classic theme of newer 29.x or 30.x?

I suggest the author refer to what Cyberfox 30.0 did, and Cyberfox 30.0 is a good try to give newer Firefox a more classic UI, though it is still not enough.
whisper... Maybe in future Palemoon claims solving how to take its UI to new eiditon firefox, let's don't tell him. :-)
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

xunxun1982 wrote:Maybe we can start a new thread to tell the guys what is the difference between official edition and other custom builds

Speaking from experience, that will get nasty... :)

xunxun1982 wrote:At present, all of us know Palemoon's source code depends on 24.x ESR, but why his users don't know? Don't you think he use the latest Firefox source code? Don't you think the author has the ability to build the classic theme of newer 29.x or 30.x?

Err.. it's not that much of a secret. The version number matches the ESR release, the "General information" page on the PM site clearly states that it doesn't follow the rapid-release schedule of Firefox and the ESR release is mentioned in various places on the forum. As for why use it, maybe part the reason is that the normal code base of Firefox changes every 6 weeks. No sooner have you finished re-coding the GUI and applying the other tweaks and whatnot necessary then Mozilla promptly fire out a new release and you've got to start again (because your code base is now unsupported from a security point of view).

The main builds of Firefox are not a stable code base to use. You spend half your time chasing after the constant changes and new releases. Firefox ESR is a stable base which is kept up-to-date with security patches, hence a better choice for a forked build. Give it a few months once Australis lands on the new ESR build and then you can see how successful he is at removing Australis from it. Until then, it's just speculation...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Trippynet wrote:
xunxun1982 wrote:Maybe we can start a new thread to tell the guys what is the difference between official edition and other custom builds

Speaking from experience, that will get nasty... :)

Only when one makes unfounded claims, insults folks here by suggesting their opinions are attacks rather than simply different opinions and insist that the browser of your choice is both profoundly different and mostly the same as Firefox.

The reason this posts even exists is simply because the OP decided to screech about palemoon in a thread started by someone with accessibility issues who had questions about ESR. Honestly, even you can see why this was stupid and split off.

We host a number of announcement and/or support threads for a number of third party builds here. Not overly surprisingly, none of their user's answer every support question here with "USE (name of release)!" and they rarely have whined.

Locking this since the OP's first two posts are gibberish and trippy is requiring true believers again.
Post wrangler