Waterfox RAM question

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
rayquaza88

Waterfox RAM question

Post by rayquaza88 »

I like to have tons of tabs opened and even if i uses addons like suspend tab always my ram usage gets high and BAM OOM crash even though i have 12 gb ram and I most of the time have more than 65% of it free so i would like to know if waterfox as it's a x64 browser can use more memory without crashing or if there is a build or a patch or something that let's firefox use all the memory it needs without crashing.
xunxun1982

Re: Waterfox RAM question

Post by xunxun1982 »

You should ask Waterfox's author Alex for the problem.

Since some edition, Waterfox uses Intel Compiler for building, and Intel Compiler Build can cost much more memory than other compiler build, and because of some bugs Waterfox not fix, he disabled jemalloc in his build, which also will cause more memory allocation than other build.
And other aspect, x64 build costs more memory than x86 build.

If you seek one build using Intel Compiler, I built some editions and tried to make it more stable :
x86: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcxfire ... /x86/sse3/
x64: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcxfire ... /x64/sse3/

I have not created icc build after 30.0, because I have no time.
rayquaza88

Post by rayquaza88 »

I dont mind it using more memory i just wanna know if the ammount of memory waterfox can use before it goes OOM is increased due to it being an x64 browser or not.
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

rayquaza88 wrote:I dont mind it using more memory i just wanna know if the ammount of memory waterfox can use before it goes OOM is increased due to it being an x64 browser or not.

I have told to you, Waterfox has not fixed some ICC bugs, so it's less stable than other build, this is not memory cost issue.
rayquaza88

Post by rayquaza88 »

I dont care about anything waterfox related besides what I asked on the first message If you did not understand it let me know and Ill explain it in an other way.