Firefox ESR 24.8.0 portable build

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
miki86

Firefox ESR 24.8.0 portable build

Post by miki86 »

Hi all, today i notice that on portableapps there isn't firefox esr portable anymore, it merged to 31.x.

Now this is bad for me, the purpose i use the 24.x ESR portable is because i don't want the australis abortion, i want to keep the classic download windows, i want it to be portable, and moreover i find it more fast and small in term of memory usage.

please don't tell me to install the 31.x or 32.x and use plugins, plugins tend to increase (epxecially the Theme Classic Restorer) a lot the memory usage, at the moment i use ZERO plugins and i have che chromecss file to personalize some aspects of the gui.

Can please someone link me a website that still support the 24.x builds compatible with portableapps and following versions?

Thanks a lot.
Virtual_ManPL

Re: Firefox ESR 24.8.0 portable build

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

You can find old versions of Firefox ESR Portable here.
If you do not like Australis, you can always use latest version Firefox ESR Portable with Classic Theme Restorer add-on.

EDIT:
Do not forget that older versions of Firefox may contain many working exploits and non fixed critical bugs.
Last edited by Virtual_ManPL on September 5th, 2014, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

ESR is changing to version 31 in very short order. If you don't want to spend the 10 minutes it take to make it look and feel more like the pre-29 version you should look for a different browser.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
miki86

Post by miki86 »

I solve using the Pale Moon build, ths fortunately is still based on the 24.x without the crappy australis.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

.....Or the latest 24esr security update?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
James

Post by James »

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Both 24.8.0esr and 31.1.0esr are listed there as they were released when the Firefox 32.0 was.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Not for long. Palemoon is based on the Firefox ESR, version 24. Once that changes to version 31 in October they will either have to change also or you will be using a browser that is no longer getting security updates. The alternative would be for them to use 31 and then add CTR either as an automatic add-on or as the theme code.

If Palemood sticks with the it will be unclear how insecure it is or how fast it will become insecure. Once Mozilla drops support for version 24, fixes will not be tested against it. A fix for ESR 31 might work for the version 24 or it might not. There will be no way to tell unless the fix actually breaks the version 24 code.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

mightyglydd wrote:.....Or the latest 24esr security update?
I think this is what mightyglydd means
-> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... .win32.zip

I've been using it for months and will do so as long as possible. I agree, though, that - if you want to keep up to date with Fx - it's probably time to gradually come to terms with Australis and CTR
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

No Joe I mean the 24.8.0 ESR security update, Tuesday, this week.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... oxESR.html

@miki86: Correct link to 24.7.0 Portable, last one before 31 I believe... http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... %2024.7.0/ ..my .7 updated to .8, not 31.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You might not have to even embrace CTR depending on your taste. Download Status bar, Metal Lion Addressbar Improvements, Status-4-Ever, Tabs on Bottom and View --> Toolbars --> Menu Toolbar got me 90% to where I wanted to be. If Sharebird would come back I would be in hog heaven.
Post wrangler
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

You can use tete009's firefox esr : http://www1.plala.or.jp/tete009/en-US/s ... #FX24_VC12

tete009's firefox has a portable mode.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

How close are they are to the builds to 24? We have a fellow here who is extremely late to the party,
Post wrangler
miki86

Post by miki86 »

LoudNoise wrote:You might not have to even embrace CTR depending on your taste. Download Status bar, Metal Lion Addressbar Improvements, Status-4-Ever, Tabs on Bottom and View --> Toolbars --> Menu Toolbar got me 90% to where I wanted to be. If Sharebird would come back I would be in hog heaven.

Err, why i have to install 20 plugins in order to get rid off australis and all the crap they introduce lately?

A browser should be minimal and fast, i don't care about all these graphic features, they have no purpose at all, just eye candy. The good thing about FF is that is fully customizable but now they start to remove portion of the dynamic code and force people in one fixed direction, if i want more crap i just install it, but the base should be clean as possibile.
FF seems more like an app of android, is horrible. Please give me back the old, clean and fully customizable GUI.

xunxun1982 wrote:You can use tete009's firefox esr : http://www1.plala.or.jp/tete009/en-US/s ... #FX24_VC12

tete009's firefox has a portable mode.

Thanks a lot mate, very interesting.
xunxun1982

Post by xunxun1982 »

I think you can try to use 28.0, because in the future Mozilla also will stop ESR24.x.

Maybe 3rd builders can maintain a ESR 24 branch, but I think it's not done one person can't finish.

Though it is true, I will plan to build ESR24.x final edition after it is stopped.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I see merely four extensions listed so I haven't the slightest idea why you should have to install twenty. I would suspect it is because you are not bothering to read the post,
Post wrangler