Pale Moon has changed its GUID.

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
LoudNoise

Re: Pale Moon has changed its GUID.

Post by LoudNoise »

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... ine#p44897

Matt isn't happy about the sinners. Moodchild seems to becoming to grips about the situation.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Anyone still keeping on-topic in this thread? :mrgreen:
Matt A. Tobin wrote:While we are preserving the Pre-Australis UI and continuing down our road of independent development this change has partly crippled your addon. The modifications to your install.rdf and chrome manifest files are minor and it would be appreciated if you would support Pale Moon out of the box as the growing number of users in the community using Pale Moon steadily increases.

Well, now I have a first-hand experience regarding Pale Moon compatibility from the context of my mouse gestures extension. Recently, I've been updating it to work with multi-process Firefox - quite scary stuff for developers of complex extensions but I was lucky to eventually work out all the necessary new stuff and behaviour without more serious struggles like those of the Greasemonkey developer.

Anyway, the thing is that a different Pale Moon GUID is the least serious problem for a developer. It's easy to use it add it if necessary in a few minutes. The much more serious problem (for a developer who would like to support both Fx and PM) is that PM no longer progresses with newer Fx versions. In other words, the supported API's, interfaces, mechanisms, etc. that are available for an extension developer in latest PM are basically those of Fx 24. PM and Fx 24 have limited message manager support - sendAsyncMessage() function used in frame scripts does not allow sending objects to chrome (via CPOW) - this is available only since Fx 25, which means it is not available in PM 25.x, either, because PM internally is mostly like Fx 24. My new version uses this feature in its core mechanisms therefore PM support has to go away.

PM users may be facing more and more problems with Fx extension as they are updated for modern Fx versions. If PM goes its own way and doesn't progress with Fx internally then it will take much more than a simple GUID to support PM. Even Australis is not the most difficult part - it's the core mechanisms in PM that remain old and newer stuff does not work. I don't mind enabling PM support in my extension and would do it if it were relatively easy - but if I have to spend many hours writing workarounds for unimplemented mechanisms in PM then I'm not so keen on it any more.

BTW, I'm not complaining at all, just stating my observations - apparently, PM devs wanted this kind of independence so they should not have any problems with this situation :!: :D
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

This was pointed out long ago. As Firefox changes, extensions and themes will follow Firefox and will break in Pale Mood. That was the point of Matt's attempt to spam (although he may have not have realized it) the Extensions/Theme Release threads. Changing the GUID and briefly not including the Fx GUID was an act of vanity that was quickly corrected.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

This makes interesting reading, 120+ views and no problem with using a vulnerable browser.. gimme some of that Kool-Aid!

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... bb88d205b6
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Lets see denigrate belittle and badmouth Mozilla and then whine like a two year old when they don't immediately give you a hall pass?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Further down the rabbit hole I suppose. It sure seems to me like if you've got a product with an obscure code base that requires all security patches to be done manually, and you are advertising that fact to every website you visit via an exotic UA string... it should probably be a priority to do whatever it takes to get access to those security bugs.

I'm still slightly amused by the threads where they laugh at Firefox's slipping usage statistics. As if somehow Firefox getting less and less popular is a good thing for a product riding on the coattails of that popularity.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Trippynet

Post by Trippynet »

To be fair if you read that, Mozilla's policies are partly to blame here as well. Malliz: How would you expect Moonchild to react? Should he praise Mozilla for this?

Regarding the comments about Mozilla's slipping usage, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I am sorry to see Mozilla declining like this. However, many PM users do feel that Mozilla only have themselves to blame. When it comes to drinking the Kool aid, Mozilla's developers were right at the front of the queue there over the last year or so.

Maybe if they decide to eat some humble pie and work on turning Firefox into a unique and interesting browser once more they might have a chance. At the moment, Firefox (IMO) is just an irrelevant clone of Chrome - at least, that's what it looks like. Sad, but there you go.

Discuss :)
patrickjdempsey

Not much to discuss. As usual you are completely out of your depth.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Also, all software companies have strict limitations and hoops to jump though before they will allow people to view security issues (including us and our major software never connects to the internet) for the very good reason that otherwise they would be giving folks the recipe to compromise their software. It sounds like Moony finally got this privilege. You complaint seems to be limited that they required him to jump through the same hoops as they require almost everyone else to go through.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Right. It's not like Mozilla just made up this stuff to keep him out. This whole adversarial worldview they are cultivating really isn't helping PM or it's users, and this IMO is a good example of how it could even be dangerous.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Trippynet wrote: Malliz: How would you expect Moonchild to react?

Like an adult who got what he wanted. I would be very dubious about letting anyone with his attitude anywhere near a security feature and Its absolutely no advantage to Mozilla to do so and in my opinion a dangerous thing to do.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hah, but fear not, his disciples are chipping in with the don't worry and 'who needs security updates if you don't go to dodgy sites' rap.
If the foot was on the other shoe they would be up to five pages and counting of ripping Firefox a new *******.
PM sure seems like a lot of bother to get square tabs and a blue 'old style' menu button...

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 2b8#p50587
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Interesting that Sajadi doesn't know the difference between malware and a browser vulnerability.

Trippynet wrote:Maybe if they decide to eat some humble pie and work on turning Firefox into a unique and interesting browser once more they might have a chance. At the moment, Firefox (IMO) is just an irrelevant clone of Chrome - at least, that's what it looks like. Sad, but there you go.

Even if I thought this was true, which I don't since. as noted, it took me about 10 minutes to customize Firefox to the way I like it, it doesn't make any sense. Chrome is the most popular browser out there even if you ignore mobile. If anything and if if was a clone of Google, its market share should have increased.
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

BTW, the palemood folks do train well. None of them have posted outside of Third Party since Matt started this thread. You have to give them that.
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 347#p50347

On the plus side, x-15a2 did provide a link.
Post wrangler