Anyone building optimized Developer Edition or...?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
kulmegil

Anyone building optimized Developer Edition or...?

Post by kulmegil »

I would like to see one of those.
Especially from Alex (behind Waterfox builds) I would kill for ;)

or Beta or nightly builds - would be welcomed as well.

Building "old" release code is soooo ... dull. Yet everyone does that
(just in case - sorry for my english)
avada

Re: Anyone building optimized Developer Edition or...?

Post by avada »

I've been wondering about that too. I've been on nightly for while and it doesn't feel too fast. It would be nice.

Especially of the incomprehensible way mozilla handles some new features like HTML5 with MSE video. It's in the release build but, but in a useless state which mozlla central passed several months ago. And it's disabled. So why have it if it's useless anyway? Or why not have the latest fixes at the time of release? If it's gonna be disabled anyway... It just adds to the bloat.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

avada wrote:I've been wondering about that too. I've been on nightly for while and it doesn't feel too fast. It would be nice.

Especially of the incomprehensible way mozilla handles some new features like HTML5 with MSE video. It's in the release build but, but in a useless state which mozlla central passed several months ago. And it's disabled. So why have it if it's useless anyway? Or why not have the latest fixes at the time of release? If it's gonna be disabled anyway... It just adds to the bloat.

I don't see what's incomprehensible about the code developing on mozilla-central, and every six weeks that code moves down a branch. It's disabled in release because it's not ready there.
avada

Post by avada »

KWierso wrote:
avada wrote:I've been wondering about that too. I've been on nightly for while and it doesn't feel too fast. It would be nice.

I don't see what's incomprehensible about the code developing on mozilla-central, and every six weeks that code moves down a branch. It's disabled in release because it's not ready there.

So why have old, useless, dysfunctional code in the stable version at all? Because bloat is good?
It's not good for testing. It's not good for anything. It's just there, pointlessly.
If you disable it anyway, why not have the latest and best functioning (but still buggy) code.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Because disabling it is easier and less likely to break things in unexpected ways than ripping out the code? It's disabled, it doesn't bloat anything except a very minimal bump in file size.
avada

Post by avada »

KWierso wrote:Because disabling it is easier and less likely to break things in unexpected ways than ripping out the code? It's disabled, it doesn't bloat anything except a very minimal bump in file size.

It can't count as "ripping out" if you don't uplift the (in this example the mse related) patches from central in the first place.
For example we didn't have broken australis ui for two years in stable firefox.