Classic Compact on Palemoon?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Netweezurd

Classic Compact on Palemoon?

Post by Netweezurd »

Jack Pot !!!

Hi everyone, even if the latest FF is very fast and even if I have been using it for ages... I'm runing it with 29 extensions now, FF has started to feel weird... and having to rely on the LittleFox theme... I'm not happy.

So I started to look for a new browser. nothing based on Trident... Pa-lease. Neither on WebKit or Presto... on the Gecko engine thank you.
That would be not based on Internet Explorer (and its bunch of groupie look a likes), neither Konquerer/Chrome or Opera engines.

So, a browser on the same engine as FF. I ended up on the following graphic and started investigating... and found a nice little browser called PaleMoon. It's not on the graphic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... owsers.svg

PaleMoon is a fork of FF 24, just before they went bezerk with the Australis interface. To the point, 25 was supposed to be the first with Australis but it got delayed until version 29, where are beloved CC theme stopped working.

For me, things started to go wrong at FF 25. I surf the web quite fast: I run something in a search engine then middle click interesting links to other tabs. When I feel it's enough or depending on search engines, when I'm at the bottom of the search results, I click for page 2 but I don't wait for it, I go through the freshly open tabs. On those, I have the "Search as I Type" option switched on so I just type a key word and right away it goes to it. I then quickly read the few phrases-paragraphs adjacent to the highlighted results... keep the tab or discard it to go to the next one. on the new tab, I only had to hit F3 to continue the search. The find bar was shared between tabs. At version 25... that feature stopped working.

So this is just one of many thing that have started to pss me off. Wouldn't you know? PaleMoon is base on 24... I got my browser back.

I started to install extensions... one by one... slowly as it is not FF but most plugins seem to work... up to now.
Yes... 8-) ClassicCompact 24 works oh so nice.

Ya-Ho !
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/6e28/ ... 8x4d6g.jpg

There's even a portable version in the Downloads that wont interfere with your present browser(s).
http://www.palemoon.org/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... /versions/
MotherDawg.
I do RPMs.
I own crappy boxes...GNU Linux 4 ever.
avada

Re: Classic Compact v29.0a1 (Australis) OS X testing Needed

Post by avada »

That's all fine and well. Except that your comment has very little to do with Classic Compact. I think most interested people found Pale Moon when Australis hit the stable branch.
And precisely because it's FF24 based it started to lag behind in features/technology. HTML5 video with MSE for one. And stuff like OMTC and other asynchronous stuff.
LoudNoise

Re: Classic Compact on Palemoon?

Post by LoudNoise »

Nor is the fact that an old version of a extension works with Palemood all that surprising since it it based on the a ESR version that has been retired.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

BTW, on the plus side they have learned to post in Third Party.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

No it was split off another thread as off topic..,,same old same old
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

My mistake. I am an optimist.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Netweezurd wrote:It's not on the graphic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... owsers.svg

Neither are the 300 other "builds" and "forks" of Firefox out there. The table lists serious browser projects with individual implementations.

Netweezurd wrote:PaleMoon is a fork of FF 24, just before they went bezerk with the Australis interface.

Not really, "Australis" the design first started landing in bits and pieces in Firefox 8.0. "Australis" the radical structural change happened in Firefox 29.0, so Firefox 28.0 was the last build before the big change. They used the 24 branch because that was the final ESR release before Australis. That branch is now over a year old and getting moldier by the minute. The developers claim to be able to keep PM up-to-date with security patches and some new features, but the further and further Firefox current builds get from Firefox 24, the harder it's going to be for them to do that.

Anyway, it's your choice, but there are other actively-maintained up-to-date options like SeaMonkey or KMeleon (although that might be too extreme for you). Although if the only thing important to you is running Classic Compact, then PM is probably the only option for you.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
AMozillaGuy

Post by AMozillaGuy »

Since now Pale Moon has its own Classic Compact theme & Options fork theme ( I LOVE IT )....& of course, Pale Moon IS INDEED a fork of Firefox, so therefore FROM the FF Engine....can the Classic Compact theme n options for Pale Moon work with the latest FF, or ANY way that we can install it & make it work?

Anybody?

JC.