SeaMonkey stand-alone?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
IdOp

SeaMonkey stand-alone?

Post by IdOp »

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum. I'm looking at compiling SeaMonkey on Slackware Linux. The big-picture question for me at the moment is this: Is it possible to build a stand-alone version of the SM browser, without email, news, chat, etc? Perhaps via some special ac_add_options ?

Thanks for any replies.
DanRaisch

Re: SeaMonkey stand-alone?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Third Party Builds where those with knowledge on this question hang out.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

IdOp wrote:I'm looking at compiling SeaMonkey on Slackware Linux. The big-picture question for me at the moment is this: Is it possible to build a stand-alone version of the SM browser, without email, news, chat, etc? Perhaps via some special ac_add_options ?

It is currently not possible. But if someone were to work on this and submit some patches we would be interested.

Phil
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. A bit of background ...

Back in the day when SeaMonkey was distributed in modular binary form, I only used the browser. Ever since it became monolithic, a stand-alone version has been an abstract wish of mine. However, in practice there was usually not much problem since recent binaries were usually available on the OSs I use, Linux and NetBSD. In the early part of this year, things changed when the available NetBSD binary became quite stale for some time. That put the issue of compiling SM back on the front burner. For me, self-compilation (rather than via pkgsrc) works best, so I tried to compile under Linux as a first step. I quickly learned that most of my hardware is not up to the task, although I did manage one successful compile on the laptop (4GB ram and 2GB swap). Obviously a stand-alone version would not only meet my needs, but also lead to less onerous compiles. Recently, SM 2.33.1 became available as a NetBSD binary, so the issue has returned to the back burner. I do remain interested though, but my level of knowledge about all this is still very rudimentary, and at the moment the motivation and available time is again low. At the end of the day, I don't expect to solve this soon, if ever, but would consider submitting patches if I somehow pulled it off.