[FX/TB] MacOSX Builders Unite!

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Dragon76

Re: [FX/TB] MacOSX Builders Unite!

Post by Dragon76 »

Minefield Intel is only 31MB to begin with, is compressing the binary really a priority over performance gains through using an #include?
loadbang

Post by loadbang »

The physical file size is 11.7MiB. It should speed up ts, especially with machines with slower hard drives (MacBook Air, MacBooks etc).

Number of HFS+ compressed files: 239
Total number of files: 242
Total number of folders: 52
Total number of items (number of files + number of folders): 294
Folder size (uncompressed; reported size by Mac OS 10.6+ Finder): 31904877 bytes / 32.5 MB (megabytes) / 31 MiB (mebibytes)
Folder size (compressed - decmpfs xattr; reported size by Mac OS 10.0-10.5 Finder): 11747660 bytes / 11.9 MB (megabytes) / 11.4 MiB (mebibytes)
Folder size (compressed): 11887791 bytes / 12.1 MB (megabytes) / 11.5 MiB (mebibytes)
Compression savings: 62.7%
Appoximate total folder size (files + file overhead + folder overhead): 12252799 bytes / 12.3 MB (megabytes) / 11.7 MiB (mebibytes)
Dragon76

Post by Dragon76 »

*sigh*
Apple recommends against using HFS+ compression for anything other than system files because it is not backwards compatible.

GCD is backwards compatible. It does not rely on a new Framework and is not Snow Leopard-specific like HFS+ compression does. If GCD services are not present, it is not used.
People are complaining that GCD makes a binary 10.6 only, which is not true but HFS+ Compression most DEFINITELY does make it 10.6 only.

I mean, however you want to waste your time is great but if you are doing this for the benefit of all users, incorporating GCD into the Firefox Intel builds makes more sense than shaving a few MB off an already relatively svelte application, especially when the decompression happens on the fly and is a performance HIT, as opposed to GCD which for anyone using 10.6 is a benefit.
NOCR

Post by NOCR »

Hey can someone give me a DIRECT LINK to an optimized build for an iMac G4 700MHz running OS 10.4?
It would be much appreciated, my Mac goes about 2 miles an hour on sites like eBay and YouTube :(
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Just how direct is the direct link that you want? Also, just to be sure which G4 build you require (either 7400 or 7450) type "machine" into terminal.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
anne2929

Post by anne2929 »

they've updated their links on the homepage in the g4 section but yeah have you tried typing machine into the term?

NOCR wrote:Hey can someone give me a DIRECT LINK to an optimized build for an iMac G4 700MHz running OS 10.4?
It would be much appreciated, my Mac goes about 2 miles an hour on sites like eBay and YouTube :(
Tehsnoo

Post by Tehsnoo »

anne2929 wrote:Imagethey've updated their links on the homepagein the g4 section but yeah have you tried typing machine into the term?

NOCR wrote:Hey can someone give me a DIRECT LINK to an optimized build for an iMac G4 700MHz running OS 10Image.4?

???? this is way old i dont understand your point?? ](*,)
O.D.NYRIOX

Post by O.D.NYRIOX »

Is there any place I can download (or find out how to create) a mac-optimized Firefox 8.x? The most recent ones I can find are for Firefox 4.x, so I'm wondering where they all went.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

See here for documentation on how to build Firefox. Optimisations depend on what you want to optimise for.
O.D.NYRIOX

Post by O.D.NYRIOX »

I am interested in optimizing for speed on Intel Mac OS 10.6 (My computer has the original Core Duo, so I can't optimize for 64-bit systems). I have NO programming experience, however, so I'm wondering where to start. Any advice for a beginner?
///CLOSING SENT FILE///
///LOGGING OUT: [STELLAR ECLIPSE] <OVERLORD DRAEIROS NYRIOX>...
[[CLOSING RC VERSION [24.86.2] 0.0.0.13]]
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Well, best thing to start with is to familiarise yourself with "Terminal" and some of the basic commands. Try this tutorial to start with or find another one in a search.
You don't really need to know any programming skills to create a optimised build, just copy and paste things.
Optimisation flag for Core Duo would probably be "-march=prescott".
O.D.NYRIOX

Post by O.D.NYRIOX »

However, it doesn't make it clear how you add build options to Firefox. Do you load them with Terminal, and if so, with what command? How do you make .mozconfig, and where do you place it? I already downloaded the source code, but what do I do from here?
///CLOSING SENT FILE///
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

The .mozconfig is simply a plain text file. If you use TextEdit make sure you switch to plain text mode in the Format menu. Then save the file in the folder you got from extracting the source code.
All the options you want can be added by the mozconfig file route. If you want I can give you some of the options for you to use?
O.D.NYRIOX

Post by O.D.NYRIOX »

Dragon76 wrote:I was wondering if the Firefox Intel optimised builds have started using #include <dispatch/dispatch.h> to invoke Grand Central Dispatch?

RPMozley, what code would you use to do that?
///CLOSING SENT FILE///
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

I don't think Profile Guided Optimization has been fully integrated, at least I've not heard of anything (although I've not really looked into it all that much). Nomis101 is probably more aware on PGO things than me.