[FX/TB] MacOSX Builders Unite!

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Recall

Post by Recall »

drumsticks wrote:I was inspired to make my own Direct download RSS feed too!

Firefox G5 and Thunderbird G5 builds by drumsticks

How do you make a xml feed? I want to make one for myself for all the builds I test out for Windows?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

Recall wrote:How do you make a xml feed? I want to make one for myself for all the builds I test out for Windows?

Haha... I'm not an XML expert. I just copied another feed and manually changed it. Nothing automated. I'll have to manually update it whenever I add new builds and remove old ones. I'm sure there are applications that might stream line the process, but I'm doing this once every day or two, so it's no big deal.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Recall wrote:How do you make a xml feed? I want to make one for myself for all the builds I test out for Windows?

I've got one that auto updates going at the moment. I'm working on providing auto-updating feeds for folks that build for Mac.

If you know PHP, pm me or send me an e-mail (elfurbe at gmail dot com) and I'll shoot you some of my code so you can get that going for your builds.
Recall

Post by Recall »

elfurbe wrote:

I've got one that auto updates going at the moment. I'm working on providing auto-updating feeds for folks that build for Mac.

If you know PHP, pm me or send me an e-mail (elfurbe at gmail dot com) and I'll shoot you some of my code so you can get that going for your builds.

Slight confusion I dont make them myself, I test other peoples builds. I just want to be able to link to the threads in here and for it to notify me when they are updated. Liken for stipe/bangbang/moox/mmoy etc. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

oohhh. Can't help you there :)

MozillaZine would have to provide that from the database.
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

Recall: sounds like you're looking for an aggregator of some sort. Unfortunately, what you're asking for requires the builders to advertise that new builds are available...

By the way, the builders you mentioned are all Windows builders. Isn't this supposed to be a Mac topic?
Recall

Post by Recall »

Yeah I was not sure if if the xml could detect if a thread was updated.

As to the windows builds, the reason I posted here rather than make another thread is what he posted interested me. Saved me hoping for him to see my post in another section. :)
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

elfurbe. I dont intend to say much, but I would like to give you a thumb up for what you have done so far! Looks like you really have something going here.

Keep up the good work! :D
That goes to the rest of the builders as well..
ozjason

Post by ozjason »

Sorry guys... but I have now switched to Camino too.

The last time I tried Camino seriously was over a year ago and at that time I wasn't too happy with it. When pb switched I thought I'd give it another look and this time I was just blown away by the performance in comparison to FF. Even the most highly optimized Firefox build is slow as a dog in comparison to an official Camino release. I'll miss FF's extensions... but for the performance boost Camino gives me, it's worth it.

There's a great little community developing here and I hope it continues.. but I'll be using Camino for now as I don't foresee FF catching up to Camino until well after 1.5 is released.

I won't release any more builds but I'll continue to watch this forum and offer any advice or other help to anyone wanting to get involved in building FF on OS X.
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

elfurbe wrote:I proposed that we create a unified web site where we can gather all our builds together and offer them to the curious Mac tweaker with explanations about what's different between builds, how to identify your processor type...

I also use Camino, however I thought I'd share something about identifying processor types and figuring out which build to use. Hopefully powerbook doesn't mind my sharing this... He made a little script that will tell you your computer's processor type, as well as what build you should use for each processor type. You can find it at here.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

ozjason wrote:Sorry guys... but I have now switched to Camino too.

:O.

You and Powerbook were the two G4 optimized builds that got me into optimized builds. I hate to see you guys cashing out. This is certainly a blow to the community effort.

Judging from the response so far, I don't think there's ever going to be much of a team. I've gotten some support from drumstick and we've worked out adding his feed to my site, but I haven't seen anyone else really getting into it. I think it's a grand idea, but it seems like we're simply not an organized enough, or apparently loyal enough ::ahem::powerbook and ozjason::ahem::, community to produce any sort of structured building program. It's a shame, as I had some great ideas for aggregating builds. I may transition my idea into a general optimized Firefox build listing, allowing Linux and Windows builds to list as well. I've got a grand scheme involving XML feeds and whatnot that would be a shame to waste. Anyway, that's not official, certainly not until I get the XML stuff working, but I'll put that out there, and if it turns into a real thought, I'll start a thread for it.

Unless I get some serious feedback in the next week or so wanting to keep on with this idea of a community building project, I'll just continue to offer my own builds and that'll be that, though I'm certain my builds will never be the forces that oz and powerbook's builds became. I may offer an -Os optimized version at some point as well, to continue oz's legacy for those who subscribed to the -Os camp. If there's demand, let me know and I'll start building that in my batch. I want to make sure that those who have been consistently using the nightlies published by powerbook and oz don't feel like they're left out to dry. There will be builds for you at my site for the forseeable future.

Otherwise, I just hope we don't continue to lose builders on Mac. This is disconcerting, as is, so I'm just going to try to keep turning out consistent optimized nightly builds for OSX on all CPUs and hopefully keep the community of users going, even if the builders seem to be dropping off.
mchangun

Post by mchangun »

How about putting a symbol in the link which identifies the latest nightly build? That way I can automate my updates!
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

elfurbe: Your site and RSS feed is shaping up quite nicely (since the last time I saw it). It has huge potential, even if you are the only builder. I'll try to provide builds for as long as I can. I'll most certainly be sticking with Firefox as I use it cross platform and it's nice to have some consistency in Windows and Mac.
drseuss9311

Post by drseuss9311 »

well i figured out that the bug I thought I'd found was a feature!

I had turned on the Pref>Advanced>General>"allow text to be selected with the keyboard" and that was causing the weird stuff with paging down/up and scrolling.

and to elfurbe and other builders/optimizers: Keep up the good work!

PS: what's with the -Os flag?
ABP : AiOS : Chatzilla : Customize Google : FireFTP : Flashblock : Greasemonkey : MrTech Toolkit : Coralize (not updated yet) : Context Search : Searchbar Autosizer :: iBookG4
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I know its hard for the Firefox community to loose two important builders of optimized builds in one week (me and ozjason). But since we have two competitive browsers (Camino and Firefox), there will always be someone who leave one for the other.
This time two of us found Camino to fit our browsing needs better than Firefox.

If there is anything I can do to help you out, just ask (anything but asking me to compile Firefox). :)
Take care!

NB! Almost anyone who's not afraid of the Terminal can build Firefox. hint hint

drseuss9311. The -O2 flag refer to the optimization level used in the compiler.
Short summary:
-O0 -> No optimization.
-O1 -> Optimize for reduced code size and execution time, but keep build time to a minimum.
-O2 -> Optimize more than -O1. Creates faster code, but longer build time.
-O3 -> Optimize even more. Reduce execution time, regardless of code size and build time.
-Os -> Optimization simular to -O2. But optimize for minimum code size.

Some of us disagree which flag creates the fastest running code. I say -O3 because of the higher optimization level, while others say -Os because of the smaller code size to run.
Read more
Last edited by krmathis on July 23rd, 2005, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.