[FX/TB] MacOSX Builders Unite!

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

yeah, that about matches my findings. In this case, the number of the counting is two. We shalt not count three nor shalt we count one, unless proceeding directly to two. Four is right out.
Ffakr

which compiler?

Post by Ffakr »

I didn't notice a specific mention of this but it appears all the optimised builds are being done with gcc?

Has anyone done an optimised build with IBM's XLC? I should be able to get access to a G5 cluster with XLC so I could generate a build if anyone would be interested. Our researcher told me his code ran up to 60% faster when compiled with XLC and XLF vs. the GCC/F# compilers.

ffakr.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

If you can get it built with XL C, I'll give it a try. Let me know if you need a place to host the builds, as I'd be happy to give you some web space.

I'd imagine you'll have some challenges to get it to compile at all, but if you pull it off, I'd be interested. IBM certainly has a vested interest in producing scorching PowerPC code, not to mention an intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the cores. If this is analogus to the Intel C Compiler for Pentium chips, we could see significant benefit. Here's hoping!
Robin_reala

Post by Robin_reala »

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Man, that's an old bug. I suppose that means that no one has tried in a while though. Lots of code changes since January 2004, perhaps for the better, one could hope.

I downloaded the 60-day trial of XL C for OSX to play with. Maybe if a few of us wanted to hack on this, we could get a working compile done, generate a patch or two for this bug, assuming XL C rocks our socks.
Lost User 117706

Post by Lost User 117706 »

i'm surprised there isn't the discussion here as there was in powerbook's thread, am i missing something ? is there another thread?
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

It would appear that when powerbook moved to Camino, very many followed suit!
Robin_reala

Post by Robin_reala »

Tbh if I wasn't a web developer I probably would have as well.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I tried Camino after Powerbook moved, and it's pretty nice, I won't lie, but the features I depend on in Firefox just aren't there. I have loads of live bookmarks for my RSS feeds, I use no less than 6 extensions daily, and I have both PC and Mac, so having cross-platform consistency is really nice. It's a fine browser, and one I've added to my repertoire of browsers on my Macs, but it doesn't have everything I need to supplant Firefox for my daily browsing.

The last time I used Camino, which would've been at least a year prior to this, I wasn't that impressed compared to Firefox, but it is much improved over what I remember, and I can see now how many users would benefit. It definitely launches significantly faster than Firefox, and it definitely has better overall UI integration with Mac OS, as far as look-and-feel goes, and honestly anything using Gecko and putting standards-compliant rendering in the hands of net surfers is a-ok in my book. It's also nice how consistent the nightly builds are. Camino nightlies are rock solid, which one can't say about the Firefox nightlies of late. They work and all, but it always seems like we trade one bug for another. No matter, really. I'm behind Firefox 100%, it's still what I recommend and install for anyone with any platform. I'm in it to win it, but I certainly can't fault any MacOSX users who choose Camino. If you don't use the added punch of Firefox like RSS and extensions, Camino will do your job in fine style.
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

Our PowerMac is mostly used as an Internet Teminal by my wife. I use it too when I don't feel like booting up my Windows machine.

We have no extensions installed and don't do RSS feeds. We do use the PowerMac for a few other things but it's the machine that's always on so if someone feels like checking something on the web, the PowerMac is the fastest way to do it.

We've had a fair number of Firefox crashes on Release 1.0.6, especially while my wife is typing an email and that was a real problem. We've been using Camino for a few days and haven't had any crash problems so reliability for us is better.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
LordBodak

Post by LordBodak »

Thanks for continuing the optimized build tradition! I just upgraded from powerbook's last (7/16) to today's 7450 build. First off, thanks! Second, what is this odd looking feed bubble in my address bar? And how do I get rid of it? lol

Again, thanks for the work you're doing, it is much appreciated!
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

Odd looking bubble is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=304436 Fixed now. New builds should be free from it.
ugascottl

Post by ugascottl »

I've been doing builds of Deerpark every now and then. I use the build options below, is there anything that I should take out/add that is/isn't there? Anyone have any suggestions? I took this from someone else who posted up their .mozconfig once and modified it maybe a little. There was some problem some weeks ago where we had to build against the 10.2.8 SDK, do we not need to do that still? I'm trying to go for fast load and small file size if that helps..Thanks

--enable-application=browser --enable-pthreads --enable-prebinding --enable-static --enable-strip --enable-single-profile --disable-svg --disable-canvas --disable-mathml '--enable-optimize=-Os -mcpu=7450 -dead_strip' --with-macos-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk --disable-accessibility --disable-pedantic --disable-tests --disable-shared --disable-debug --disable-profilesharing --without-system-nspr --without-system-zlib --without-system-jpeg --without-system-png --without-system-mng

Oh and I'm still using GCC 3.3 to build with. Is that what everyone else is doing? Or have you gone to GCC 4 yet?
ankh

Post by ankh »

I'm the last G3 user (grin).

What's the most recent build that will still install extensions? I lost track a few days ago, in a maze of twisty little choices.

My impression is the trunk is going to be flaky for a month or so, but there were bugs before the last branch, and I'm not sure how far back to look.

Primarily, I want both AdBlock and Aardvark. (If Camino ever gets those, I'm gone too ...)
sea bass

Post by sea bass »

You're not the last G3 user, but I started doing my own G3 builds for personal use :)

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to use the branch and not the trunk.