[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
philcig

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Post by philcig »

Condolences on the G5. Surges can be nasty. After 2 power related incidents, a surge which damaged a borrowed Mac (oy vey) and a momentary drop-out which hosed my OS, I upgraded first to a decent TrippLite surge suppressor and then an Apc UPS.
Congratulations on the Macbook.

I tried one more time with the last build, Jan21, but got the same results as before.

G4 guy.
brassen

Post by brassen »

Hello,

I can't find the link for the Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 on your site, can you please post the link?

I'm looking forward for the optimized 3.1 Beta3... Should be amazingly fast!

Thanks!
13" MacBook Pro (2017) 3.1 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, Iris Plus 650, 500 GB SSD
macOS High Sierra 10.13 (w/ latest updates)
floydstyle

Post by floydstyle »

look at the first post
brassen

Post by brassen »

The 3.1 B2 is not there.

Couldn't find it in his ftp either. Guess it's too old, but has to be stored somewhere...
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Just fetch the 3.1b3pre-2009.02.13.dmg (or newer) build for your processor. The b2 build is anyway outdated (more than 2 months old !)
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

You may have noticed, builds are back as of today! Begged my way into another G5. :D And I get to keep the MBP. I am the winner, folks.
floydstyle

Post by floydstyle »

elfurbe wrote:You may have noticed, builds are back as of today! Begged my way into another G5. :D And I get to keep the MBP. I am the winner, folks.
What is the difference between your built and Shirekoto built? I'm not too familiar with optimized built

For info, I have a MBP unibody 2.53GHz
philcig

Post by philcig »

Hi again,
Glad you're back in business.
Unfortunately I'm getting the same results with the Feb 26 3.1b build (G4 7450) as I got in January.
As I said in January, your pre-hiatus, builds always worked fine for me, but none of the 3.1's have.
What does "Symbol not found" mean?
Thanks

Date/Time: 2009-02-27 00:02:30.311 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P135)
Report Version: 4

Command: firefox-bin
Path: /Applications/Shiretoko.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
Parent: WindowServer [73]

Version: 3.1b3pre (3.1b3pre)

PID: 366
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: __LSCopyDefaultSchemeHandlerURL
Referenced from: /Applications/Shiretoko.app/Contents/MacOS/components/libbrowsercomps.dylib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices

Model: PowerMac3,1, BootROM 4.2.8f1, 1 processors, PowerPC G4 (2.1), 1 GHz, 768 MB
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Try the March 1 builds that come out tomorrow morning. I made some changes to the 7450 build config. Who knows, man, maybe I got it right.
philcig

Post by philcig »

So the good news is, it finally worked, so the changes helped.
The bad news is, and maybe this is just because it's a Beta, it didn't remember or couldn't access my recent password changes, even though I have only one profile, AFAIK. Worse, when I tried to send an email with an attachment from Gmail, the attachment would not appear in my email. I tried attaching different files, none stuck. I closed Shiretoko, immediately opened Firefox 3.0.6 and it worked perfectly. So I guess I'll have to wait for a while for your magic to work on a finished product. Oh, well, I was really looking forward to a slimmed down, more efficient browser. I'm finding Firefox 3.0.6 to be a real processor hog, according to MenuMeters and spinning beachballs.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

The G3 builds are still broken.

fm FXG3-3.2a1pre-2009.03.06 --

Link (dyld) error:
incompatible cpu-subtype
philcig

Post by philcig »

The G4 7450 3.1b4 build from March 6 is now working better. The gmail attachment problem is solved. Unfortunately, it still, for some reason, is using passwords I have deleted from Firefox and doesn't know the new ones I had replaced them with. Can anyone tell me how this is happening when I can only find one Firefox profile on my startup drive. Shouldn't there be only one set of passwords that all Firefox versions refer to?
leebenmorris

Post by leebenmorris »

Hi elfurbe,

Would it be possible for you to include current firefox releases in your PPC builds list? I'm not one much for experimentation.......

Also, are these builds really quicker than the stock firefox offerings?

Finally, do you, or anybody else, know how to improve Flash playback on a G4? (I'm hoping the optimised firefox builds will help)

Cheers
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

leebenmorris wrote:Finally, do you, or anybody else, know how to improve Flash playback on a G4?

Only Adobe can improve Flash playback on PPC. You can try pleading with them, well it is Adobe you may as well threaten them. They don't seem to listen at all to Mac PPC users. :evil:
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

leebenmorris wrote:Hi elfurbe,

Would it be possible for you to include current firefox releases in your PPC builds list? I'm not one much for experimentation.......

Also, are these builds really quicker than the stock firefox offerings?

Finally, do you, or anybody else, know how to improve Flash playback on a G4? (I'm hoping the optimised firefox builds will help)

Cheers

Current releases are still in CVS, I've switched my automated system over to mercurial, so building 3.0 versions is a pain these days. Once 3.5 goes release, I'll roll release builds when appropriate.

General consensus is that they feel snappier and more responsive on PPC. I can't say that I've ever figured out a way to really benchmark Firefox holistically. Javascript benchmarks are interesting, but that module is so tuned on it's own, I don't show much benefit over release builds. I don't know if there's some kind of UI test one can do, I'm not personally aware of it. Best I can offer is that you download comparable nightlies from the official site and see which one you like better. I know my logo is better, I'll tell you that.

As RPM said, Adobe has never done well with Flash on the PPC. I saw notably better performance on my Powerbook using Flash 10 over 9, so definitely update to the newest player if you haven't. Otherwise, with Apple on Intel, expect even less than nothing from Adobe on PPC performance improvement.