[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

The update tool will always be providing you official updates, if it even works. I don't know of any homebrewer that's offering update integration. Basically, if you use the updater while running a custom build, it will download the generic stuff from Mozilla.org and install that, assuming it even works, which I don't know. If there's any custom builders out there that have any idea how to set up the updater to check a different site for updates, I'd be interested to know how. The last thing I read sounded like a giant pain in my money maker.

Basically, the price you pay for running a customized, streamlined, performance-enhanced, speed-demon build from a tweaker like me is that you'll probably always have to download the updates manually. These are the days of our lives, what can I say... :D
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Hm. Well, triple post. a HAT TRICK everyone! wierdness ensues.
Last edited by elfurbe on November 5th, 2005, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Hm. Well, triple post. a HAT TRICK everyone! wierdness ensues.
pcurtner

Re: return key doesn't work

Post by pcurtner »

quwax wrote:when entering something in searchfield for google or whatever engine is configured the enter-key doesn't work, which means that the whole feature is not working.

all the best
quwax

same issue here, even after attempting to re-add the Google plugin from mycroft site (or any other search engine).

FX-7450-2005.11.02.B build on an iBook G4, ppc7450, Mac OS X 10.4.3, 1.07 GHz & 512 MB ram. installed & running extensions: fasterox 0.7.9, adblockplus 0.5.10, bugmenot 0.8 (though that's going away soon), Gmail Notifier 0.5.2.1, Tab X 0.9.1. GrApple (Eos) 1.1 theme.

great builds, keep it up!

-p
-p | G5 2x2.3 10.4.2; iBook G4 10.4.3; ahtlon 1200 winxp sp2
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

Elfurbe: It looks like a problem with -O3 optimization. Try -O2 instead. Refer to my thread.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

O2! O. 2. Am I tweaker or a six year old girl with a flower basket?! :D

Have you given -Os a try? I'll see if I can get a few builds churned out tomorrow with -Os and see if it helps.

I hope this isn't a permanent situation. -O3 makes me feel hardcore.
pcurtner

Post by pcurtner »

btw, reverting back to 1.5beta2 build and the searchbar still isn't working..

what does -O3 do versus -O2?
-p | G5 2x2.3 10.4.2; iBook G4 10.4.3; ahtlon 1200 winxp sp2
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

pcurtner: Have a look at this http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gc ... ro_49.html There probably are tons of other resources describing compiler optimization.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

-O3 puts hair on your chest, my friend. :D

Mostly it makes you feel good. All the tests I've seen show relatively minor increases in performance for 3 vs 2, and a great number of sources, including Apple, recommend explicitly AGAINST -O3. It's just one of those things. You set -O3 so the compiler will do everything it can to make that code as fast as possible, at whatever expense required (greater compile time, larger binaries, less tolerance for irregular code). Honestly, in a blind taste test, I doubt that one could tell the difference between an O2 and an O3 build of FX, and even if you did it would be a very subjective difference. It's like reversing polarity on your speakers, or tweaking your memory timings, or using Prolong in your engine. There are people religously devoted to doing it, and people that will vehemently advise you against doing it. Personally, I like to throw caution to the wind. 3 is bigger than 2. That makes it better, I say.
skier0178

Re: return key doesn't work

Post by skier0178 »

pcurtner wrote:
quwax wrote:when entering something in searchfield for google or whatever engine is configured the enter-key doesn't work, which means that the whole feature is not working.

all the best
quwax

same issue here, even after attempting to re-add the Google plugin from mycroft site (or any other search engine).

FX-7450-2005.11.02.B build on an iBook G4, ppc7450, Mac OS X 10.4.3, 1.07 GHz & 512 MB ram. installed & running extensions: fasterox 0.7.9, adblockplus 0.5.10, bugmenot 0.8 (though that's going away soon), Gmail Notifier 0.5.2.1, Tab X 0.9.1. GrApple (Eos) 1.1 theme.

great builds, keep it up!

-p

Same issue here, pretty damn annoying. Great builds though...
Sveto

Truncks

Post by Sveto »

First off, your builds are great. I understand the fact that you have no dedicated computer to make builds daily, but I think in order to keep this place somewhat running I would suggest at least a new build every month. I see the last Trunck is more than a month old and there were tones of changes. So mabe you would make an effort on the PB and cook a nice new build.
Thanks in advance Elfurbe.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Ask and ye shall receive, at least this once. Fresh trunks for all architectures!

FX-7450-2005.11.23.dmg
FX-7400-2005.11.23.dmg
FX-G3-2005.11.23.dmg

My PB has come through unscathed, so I may even roll branches later tonight!
Be afraid, everyone.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

and google bar search works again. Thanks!!!
Lazyhound

Post by Lazyhound »

Bookmark Toolbar doesn't, though, at least not for me.
quwax

Post by quwax »

Thanks a lot ! Things work again as expected.
Some Plugins still don't (like Live http header and stuff like that), but I guess we have to wait for updates from the plugin-developers ;-)

all the best
Q