[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
elfurbe

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Post by elfurbe »

Well heck. Can you both try the build from today? I had some issues running yesterday's, but today's worked just fine, in fact I'm posting this from it on my G5. I switched my default optimization level to O3 from Os last week on the 6th, but since the builds from the 7th still work, I'm kinda stumped.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Just noticed my useragent has Shiretoko in it instead of Firefox. That's a bummer. Working on that, totally unrelated to the other issue.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

elfurbe wrote:D'oh. I bet that's cause I run it against the 10.5 SDK. I'm gonna throw on --enable-macos-target=10.4 and see if that does it. The nightly branch build already started tonight, but the nightly trunk should reflect the change (http://firefoxmac.furbism.com/builds/G3 ... .01.11.dmg). Let me know if it launches properly!

The 1/11 build gave the same incompatible cpu subtype error.

- Dan.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Double-d'oh.

Alright, I've also added:
ac_add_options --with-macos-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
to the G3 mozconfig.

That should run G3 builds against the 10.4 SDK. If that doesn't work, well. Um. Yeah, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. This will be reflected in tomorrow's builds, so try out one of those and let me know.

An update on the other crashings. I think I had inadvertently (through no fault of my own I ASSURE YOU) deleted firefox.js from my source folders. :D Yeah, I built GNU sed on my box last week to solve a different unrelated-to-firefox problem and it became the default sed. Since GNU sed acts a little differently than BSD sed, it caused a hiccup. Didn't notice cause the builds will finish right up without that js file. Try tomorrow's builds, it should be fixed there. I hope.
philcig

Post by philcig »

Hi again,
I just tried FX7450-3.1b3pre-2009.01.12.dmg
Same problem. First I get the "Shiretoko Update" box which says "Checking compatibility of add-ons", but the progress bar doesn't move across and finish in a few seconds like it normally does, instead I get the barber-pole effect endlessly. After several minutes I click cancel, the icon bounces a few more times then disappears. If I subsequently double click the app icon in the apps folder, it will not launch, the dock icon bounces a couple of times, then disappears.
10.4.9, G4 (AGP graphics), 1 GHz upgrade, 768 mb RAM
Phil
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Yeah, try the builds from today (13th) when they finish. Fingers crossed.
philcig

Post by philcig »

Ok, I just tried the one from the 13th.
This time the add-ons check proceeded, said they weren't compatible, as expected, and proceeded to start up the app. Unfortunately I got a "quit unexpectedly" message right away, I tried again, no luck. Here's the Problem Report text:

Date/Time: 2009-01-13 12:24:00.324 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P135)
Report Version: 4

Command: firefox-bin
Path: /Applications/Shiretoko.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
Parent: WindowServer [76]

Version: 3.1b3pre (3.1b3pre)

PID: 352
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: __LSCopyDefaultSchemeHandlerURL
Referenced from: /Applications/Shiretoko.app/Contents/MacOS/components/libbrowsercomps.dylib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices

Model: PowerMac3,1, BootROM 4.2.8f1, 1 processors, PowerPC G4 (2.1), 1 GHz, 768 MB
Graphics: ATY,Rage128Pro, ATY,Rage128Pro, AGP, 16 MB
Memory Module: DIMM0/J21, 256 MB, SDRAM, PC133-333
Memory Module: DIMM1/J22, 256 MB, SDRAM, PC133-333
Memory Module: DIMM2/J23, 128 MB, SDRAM, PC100-322S
Memory Module: DIMM3/J24, 128 MB, SDRAM, PC100-322S
Modem: Dash2, UCJ, V.92, 1.0F, APPLE VERSION 2.6.6
Network Service: Built-in Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Parallel ATA Device: ST3120213A, 111.79 GB
Parallel ATA Device: ST3120022A, 111.79 GB
Parallel ATA Device: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109
USB Device: Hub in Apple Pro Keyboard, Alps Electric, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: USB Mouse, Logitech, Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 100 mA
USB Device: Apple Pro Keyboard, Alps Electric, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 250 mA
USB Device: Hub, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: deskjet 5100, hp, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: CanoScan, Canon, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

Hope this helps.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

The 'FXIntel-3.2a1pre-2009.01.13.dmg' works fine here (that is: it loads and displays pages) But it is slower on a number of test than the official build. I think you should loosened up on the optimize flags - especially for fx3.1b (Shiretoko) and Minefield. There has been lots of work done to set flags at the module level, and your settings override those. Whenever I built my own (only happens sometimes, when I test patches), I don't set anything, only choose the 10.5 SDK, as I use gcc 4.2). Loadbang mentioned the same in this post.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

elfurbe wrote:Alright, I've also added:
ac_add_options --with-macos-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
to the G3 mozconfig.

That should run G3 builds against the 10.4 SDK. If that doesn't work, well. Um. Yeah, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Sorry, no joy - the 1/14 builds both give the same incompatible cpu subtype error.

- Dan.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

phiw13 wrote:The 'FXIntel-3.2a1pre-2009.01.13.dmg' works fine here (that is: it loads and displays pages) But it is slower on a number of test than the official build. I think you should loosened up on the optimize flags - especially for fx3.1b (Shiretoko) and Minefield. There has been lots of work done to set flags at the module level, and your settings override those. Whenever I built my own (only happens sometimes, when I test patches), I don't set anything, only choose the 10.5 SDK, as I use gcc 4.2). Loadbang mentioned the same in this post.

So, would it be appropriate to specify my own flags as CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS env vars to put optimizations in where there aren't specific optimizations? I mean, if I'm building without my own optimizations, why build? Is that your point in the end, are you telling me I'm deprecated?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

darm1k wrote:Sorry, no joy - the 1/14 builds both give the same incompatible cpu subtype error.
- Dan.

Neat. Alright, I set enable-macos-target=10.4 for 7450 and 7400 builds. G5s are still targeted at 10.5.

Tonight's builds will reflect the change. Fingers crossed.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

elfurbe wrote:So, would it be appropriate to specify my own flags as CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS env vars to put optimizations in where there aren't specific optimizations? I mean, if I'm building without my own optimizations, why build? Is that your point in the end, are you telling me I'm deprecated?

Nah, you are not deprecated :-). The point is: there is little benefit in optimised builds anymore, as there is so much fine-tuning done at the component level (especially on Intel; older ppc may still benefit) [*]. Of course, if you real good with the innards of GCC, it might be still worthwhile to play with flags, deep down in the bowels of the lizard code.

It is nevertheless interesting to do experimental community builds with stuff that either hasn't landed yet or is not yet turned on (disabled by default, such as the SMIL patch that landed on trunk yesterday). wgianopoulos does this for Linux and 'doze.

[*] there is even talk to build TraceMonkey with the Intel compiler and the rest with GCC.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

elfurbe wrote:
darm1k wrote:Sorry, no joy - the 1/14 builds both give the same incompatible cpu subtype error.

Neat. Alright, I set enable-macos-target=10.4 for 7450 and 7400 builds. G5s are still targeted at 10.5.
Tonight's builds will reflect the change. Fingers crossed.

Sorry, still no joy - same error on the 1/16 builds.

- Dan.
philcig

Post by philcig »

Hi again,
I just tried FX7450-3.1b3pre-2009.01.16.dmg
Same problem and pretty much the same error report:

Date/Time: 2009-01-16 12:00:59.292 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P135)
Report Version: 4

Command: firefox-bin
Path: /Applications/Shiretoko.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
Parent: WindowServer [73]

Version: 3.1b3pre (3.1b3pre)

PID: 279
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: __LSCopyDefaultSchemeHandlerURL
Referenced from: /Applications/Shiretoko.app/Contents/MacOS/components/libbrowsercomps.dylib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

So I've got bad news for everyone else but good news for me. My G5 died. It has ceased to be! It is NO MORE! There was some sort of power surge at my desk and it just baked the power supply. It doesn't even try to turn on, it's all very sad. I'm working on a replacement, my fingers are crossed. Now, on the positive side for me personally, I managed to use this tragedy to my advantage and wiggle my way into a Macbook Pro (first gen, but whatever, I'm giddy). So, builds are on hold for the moment while I figure out just what I'm gonna do about this G5 situation, but I'm sure you all feel perfectly great for me, what with my new toy and all.

Rest assured, this does not signal the end of PPC builds or anything, I'm just happy to have a fast Mac in my bag. If I can find another tower to get builds on, they'll be back, guaranteed, and I'll keep on trying to speed up Firefox by the smallest of margins for those still using the greatest architecture.