[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
dalesmi

Post by dalesmi »

elfurbe wrote:I think it only works the other way around. My MDD DP1.25 G4 won't build a G5 version, at least.

I have been doing personal builds with -mcpu=970 on a Yikes (ppc7400) machine with optimizations derived from powerbook's, Drumsticks, or nonsuch's mozconfigs on Panther (10.3.9). I have to tweak "-O3" to "-O3 -fno-inline-functions" ... this is the one change that is mandatory to get a successful build.

I think it is possible to build for a different platform (just like cross-compiling) ... but I don't have the capability to test operation on a G5. Most of them run on my G4 "Yikes" though.

It could be that gcc 3.3 is just less picky on my Yikes.

Dale
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

When I try to build I get an error right away after the make starts:

Code: Select all

make[2]: execvp: ~/Firefox/mozilla/firefox_G5/config/nsinstall:
Bad CPU type in executable
dalesmi

Post by dalesmi »

elfurbe wrote:2005.08.14

I've had that kind of error come up too. Since I have an array of mozconfigs, I've found that quite often the mozconfig has "-force_cpusubtype_ALL" in the optimizations (directly or indirectly). It isn't the only cause though. Sometimes, it seems the code has developed a problem and I wait a few days and it clears up after some checkins.

I've done several builds yesterday and today with no problems ... but no wild variations in the mozconfigs.

The variables I am watching is reports from people building on Tiger with gcc 4.0. I am seeing it more strictly enforcing the rules. I'm going to be dealing with that soon enough ... so I'm watching to be prepared.

Dale
mento

Post by mento »

elfurbe wrote:2005.08.14

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to do Mac cross builds. That would fix this, and would also provide an easy way to use -fast. Maybe for 1.9.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

anyone else getting frequent crashes and no scrollbars showing up using 2005.08.15?
My Yute

Post by My Yute »

I have this problem with 2005.8.15 and 2005.8.14 (also in the official nightlies) where a little bubble comes up in the address bar and hwhen you highlight it it becomes blue.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

My Yute wrote:I have this problem with 2005.8.15 and 2005.8.14 (also in the official nightlies) where a little bubble comes up in the address bar and hwhen you highlight it it becomes blue.

It was a problem with the RSS feed indicator button. They've moved it from the lower right corner to the right end of the address bar, and it was showing up freakish for whatever reason. It's fixed as of 2005.08.17.
jcraig

Post by jcraig »

OK after reading this entire thread I didn't find anything...

elfurbe: your version is showing 1.6a1. Is this an error? I noticed this trying to update a theme which I'm unable to do because of the version. Should this not be version 1.5a1? Or did the version get bumped when the branch was cut last week?
There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I believe they branched Gecko 1.8 and now trunk is Gecko 1.9, and since Firefox 1.5 is going to be on Gecko 1.8-release, they hopped the version number to 1.6a on trunk builds to reflect that it was no longer representative of FX 1.5. I believe there is now a Firefox 1.5 branch you can build from, though I'm continuing trunk builds for the moment. As we get closer to 1.5 final, I may do parallel builds on 1.5 and its updates.

This is my belief, hopefully someone with real info will chime in here. :)

On a related note, if anyone knows the new cvs tag for the branch, I'd be interested. The official Mozilla public cvs tags page is pretty out of date.
mento

Post by mento »

MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

For Firefox though, is there a new AVIARY or what for FX1.5?
mento

Post by mento »

Fox/Bird 1.5 and Camino 0.9a (and, in all likelihood, 1.0) are on MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH now. No word on whether there will be further product-specific branching. I doubt it, although there will of course be release tagging as appropriate.
drumsticks

Post by drumsticks »

What mento said...

cvs checkout -r MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH mozilla/client.mk mozilla/browser/config

to check out branch

cvs checkout -r mozilla/client.mk mozilla/browser/config

to check out trunk

Also, you might want to make it clear on your website that the G3/G4 builds are of the trunk, while my G5 builds are of the branch. Keep up the good work!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Is there a consensus on what we want to build? Would people rather see trunk or branch builds for Mac? I suppose I could build both, but that seems...excessive. I'm concerned with what people would rather use. Majority wins. Anyone who uses my builds and reads this thread, let me know if you'd like trunk builds or branch builds, and I'll change my build procedure to feed the most vocal faction.