[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
RPMozley

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/Intel)

Post by RPMozley »

Try adding:

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --enable-static
to your mozconfig
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
Nomis101

Post by Nomis101 »

vbracht wrote:ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=prescott -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"

I've made bad experiences with -fomit-frame-pointer for Thunderbird. This gives me an application that doesn't start. But I've never tried it for Firefox.
vbracht

Post by vbracht »

thanks for everyone's input. i'm going to try everyone's suggestions and i'll post back with the results.
vbracht

Post by vbracht »

It worked, thanks everyone for their help! I realized this probably wasn't the proper thread but it was getting more activity than the other one so I figured I would give it a shot.

I used this mozconfig:

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig

ac_add_options --enable-application=browser

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=prescott -fstrict-aliasing -mfpmath=sse,387 -fforce-addr -mieee-fp -fivopts -msse3 -msse2 -msse -mmmx -pipe"

ac_add_options --with-macos-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk

ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mochitest
ac_add_options --disable-pedantic
ac_add_options --disable-shared

ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-svg
ac_add_options --enable-canvas
ac_add_options --enable-reorder
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

ac_add_options --without-system-png
ac_add_options --without-system-mng
ac_add_options --without-system-nspr
ac_add_options --without-system-zlib
ac_add_options --without-system-jpeg

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS=-j4
mk_add_options AUTOCONF=autoconf213
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Surprise! Freebie 7450 build. As a note of policy, I'm not sure about this FX31 business, but I wanted a way to differentiate the 3.1-series with the new Javascript engine from the 3.0-series without it. This is a 3.1b3pre built with gcc-4.2 still going against the 10.4u SDK.
http://firefoxmac.furbism.com/builds/74 ... .12.27.dmg

Tracemonkey is seriously boss. Google is all tootin' their horn about V8, but Tracemonkey is pretty much equivalent, as is SquirrelFish (Webkit's juju). I mean, no surprise really, they're all using the trace tree magic. IE is still pretty behind. I ran a little Sunspider comparison on my Vista laptop a bit ago, some of you might be interested:
http://www.furbism.com/sunspidertests/s ... er-ie8.htm

State of the Nightlies:
All of my build machines are borked in one way or another. My access to the Intel Mac Mini I was using has been revoked and I have no alternative plans, so Intel builds will be on hold indefinitely unless I can figure out how to get my G5 to cross-compile properly. My G4 took a nosedive sometime recently and I haven't been able to get by the server room to restart it. It may need a reinstall, who knows. When I return to work, I'm going to attempt to secure another G5 to dedicate to builds and replace the old G4. It's been a trooper, but it's getting seriously ancient. Then, they're all waiting on me to rewrite my build automation. I need to deal with Mercurial as well as eliminate a lot of complexity I introduced early on, and also to account for the new location of branding images. This is the hinge upon which the door of returning nightlies swings. I anticipate some degree of boredom/downtime this coming week within which I will attempt to compose this update. Doing this build by hand straightened out the changes I need to make, now I just have to do the scripting.

In other news, I've seen some anecdotal evidence that using the 10.5 SDK brings some speed improvements so I'm going to move to that for nightlies when they come back. Don't worry legacy guys, I intend to build extra versions for major releases that work back to 10.4. I can't remember if any of my builds still work on 10.3, but I believe they do not, so 10.4 is the lowest target I'll be shooting for. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there. I'm also going to investigate re-enabling autovectorization. I turned it off a while back for reasons I don't remember, so I'm gonna turn it back on and see what it looks like. PGO is still on my radar, but as far as I can tell it's still borked on Macs. Update packaging is still hanging around as well.

Anyway, moral of the story: I'm not dead, my Fervor For the Fox is not dead, but pretty much everything else is dead. I have secured the appropriate spells of necromancy to revive the effort, now it is upon me to engage in the black rites.
jalyst

Post by jalyst »

Go forth and "dabble" elfurbe, and may the magic be with you! ;-)
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I've provisionally decided on a new nomenclature. Rather than attempting to stay abreast of the versioning and make up new shorthands, I've gone a different route. I'm sticking the architecture in with the FX (FX7450), then I'm using the "official" version label the tree gives me (3.1b3pre, in this instance), and then the date. I uploaded today's 7450 3.1-branch build with the new labeling. I know it's all 7450 love right now, but I'm developing on my Powerbook, and it's a 7450. Anyway, any thoughts on that? I know it's kinda wordy, but it is descriptive. I'm up for other suggestions if anyone has any, or if anyone cares but me.

http://firefoxmac.furbism.com/builds/74 ... .12.28.dmg

The name is a little too long for the columns on my site so I'm gonna do some redesign work there, probably something with scrolling and shorter-but-wider boxes. I cleared all the legacy 7450 builds out of the feed, but they're still available in the totally undocumented archive: http://firefoxmac.furbism.com/builds/archive/7450/ Expect to see the other feeds get cleaned out as I get them working as well.

As a quick update, I've got a candidate for new build script written up. Decided last night there was no time like the present. It seems to work, it built the most recent build I posted there, but I'm still testing. Hope is with me.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Well, I've got 3.1b3pre builds up for every architecture (cross compiling just, like, worked. I don't know, I tried this before) and trunks for the PPCs. It threw an error for Intel but not for the others, trying to figure out why. Now I need you guys to test these for me, I'm just a lowly Powerbook on the road. I just want to know if they'll run on 10.4 (or 10.3? HIGHLY unlikely.) and if all the architectures are working where they're supposed to. If it all seems kosher, I'll flip the nightlies back on in cron and we'll see how it goes.

Also, someone may wonder if I'm gonna build the recent 3.0 releases, short answer no. Long answer, 3.1 is epic better due to Tracemonkey and very near release. We must sally forward, friends. Plus 3.0 is still in CVS and I don't feel like running them by hand. :D
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Anyone clever know what this means? This is the error I'm getting when I try to cross-compile the mozilla-central tree to i386 on my G5:

Code: Select all

/Firefox/firefox-trunk/nsprpub/pr/src/misc/pralarm.c: In function 'PR_SetAlarm':
/Firefox/firefox-trunk/nsprpub/pr/src/misc/pralarm.c:261: error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'MMX_REGS'
/Firefox/firefox-trunk/nsprpub/pr/src/misc/pralarm.c:261: error: this is the insn:
(insn:HI 79 78 81 4 (set (reg:DF 22 xmm1 [90])
        (mult:DF (reg:DF 22 xmm1 [90])
            (subreg:DF (reg:V2DF 73) 0))) 615 {*fop_df_comm_mixed} (insn_list:REG_DEP_TRUE 58 (insn_list:REG_DEP_TRUE 78 (nil)))
    (expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg:V2DF 73)
        (nil)))
/Firefox/firefox-trunk/nsprpub/pr/src/misc/pralarm.c:261: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
elfurbe

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Post by elfurbe »

As an update, I'm getting it for intel mozilla-1.9.1 builds as well. Counter-intuitively, I can cross-compile on my Powerbook G4 with no issues, same mozconfig. I'm updating all the ports installed on my G5 in case some lib linked by libIDL or glib is causing the problem, but that's a pretty serious long shot. Does not compute. Anyone got any ideas?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

So, I mucked with my optimization string a little and got past this. I got the idea from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=746055&p=3980985

Nothing in that thread DIRECTLY fixed me, but one guy talked about pulling the mfpmath switch out of his optimization flags, so I started mucking around there. This is my old set of flags:
-Os -march=prescott -mfpmath=sse,387 -mieee-fp

And this is my new one:
-Os -march=prescott -mfpmath=sse -mieee-fp -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3

My understanding is that -march=prescott should turn on all those mmx and sse options, but who knows. I figured it was barfing about a missing MMX register, maybe GCC wasn't letting it play with MMX registers for some reason, so I threw the mmx and sse flags in there. I read the GCC manual blurb on the mfpmath switch, didn't see any reason I'd want non-sse floating point math since it's fully supported since the Pentium III, so thus I bid adieu to 387. The build is proceeding, hopefully it finishes. Anyway, just thought someone might be interested in an update. Strangest still, it builds JUST FINE on my Powerbook with the old flags. Tell me that doesn't bake your noodle.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

Both of your current (jan 8) Shiretoko and MInefield FXG3 builds give this:

Link (dyld) error:
incompatible cpu-subtype

on my Smurf.

- Dan.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

D'oh. I bet that's cause I run it against the 10.5 SDK. I'm gonna throw on --enable-macos-target=10.4 and see if that does it. The nightly branch build already started tonight, but the nightly trunk should reflect the change (http://firefoxmac.furbism.com/builds/G3 ... .01.11.dmg). Let me know if it launches properly!
philcig

Post by philcig »

Hi,
I've used your builds successfully in the past. This is the first time I've downloaded anything since before your hiatus.
I just downloaded FX7450-3.1b3pre-2009.01.11.dmg
It will not launch, just bounces a few times in the dock, then disappears.
10.4.9, G4 (AGP graphics), 1 GHz upgrade, 768 mb RAM
Firefox 3.0.5 works OK.
Phil
loess

Post by loess »

First off, I'd like to say thanks for your hard work. Your builds are awesome.

I too am unable to launch any intel builds since FXIntel-3.1b3pre-2009.01.08 and FXIntel-3.2a1pre-2009.01.08. I removed my profile and still wouldn't launch.

Is there any error log I could provide or any additional info?

I'm on 10.5.6, Macbook pro 2.2 ghz.

thanks!