[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Unfortunately, no. I'm not entirely sure how much extra effort it would be either, but I've got a system that works and serves the greater portion of Mac users, and that's what I'm sticking with. I know there are those left with Puma and Jaguar by necessity, but fortunately, from my perspective, I'm not one of them. You can check out <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1717341&sid=ffa00df0d0a72bc1e2d5ee706d0b77eb#1717341">this post</a> right above for instructions on building your own, if you feel strongly about using an optimized build, or if you're more interested in trying new features, I'm pretty sure the nightly builds from Mozilla are compatible with 10.2.

Sorry!
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

thanks for the build. I know this has been discussed before but what exactly is the difference between trunk and branch?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Trunk is the main codebase where new, experimental, and generally buggy code resides. It's where you put new ideas.

A branch is when they take a snapshot of the trunk codebase as it approaches a release, and copy it, and work not on adding features or drastic changes, but on bugfixes and polish.

The current Firefox branch code is leading toward Firefox 1.5, while the current trunk code is labeled "1.6a1" which just really means "after 1.5".

If you use branch builds, expect them to become more stable and feature-complete, but don't expect to see anything new from build to build.

If you use trunk builds, expect them to showcase new features, attempts at rethinking concepts, etc. But expect them to crash a lot and have many strange and varied bugs.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

thanks for the info....
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

2005.09.27 (7450 only)
Lost User 166223

Post by Lost User 166223 »

Well, thanks for your help anyway. MacGeneral's site seems to be down due to bandwidth restrictions at Lycos Germany, so aside from rolling my own there's not much I can do to satisfy my G3-optimized Firefox fix...I still use your 7450-optimized builds on my G4 and they're very very fast.

I guess the lack of 10.2-compatible G3 builds will be another push to Camino for me though... ;)
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Aw, over to the dark side... :D

Camino is great. I've started keeping it updated on my Powerbook as well. If it supported extensions and RSS and things like that, I could probably switch, but Web Developer, Adblock, Colorzilla, things like this have become an integral part of my browsing experience. I mean, Firefox is like a Swiss Army knife, where Camino is a switchblade. Sure, a switchblade is faster if all you do is shank people all day, but with a Swiss Army knife, I can shank someone, skin them, saw them into pieces, trim branches off a tree to make a roasting spit, open a can of beans for a side dish, open a bottle of wine, punch-seam their skin together into a nice coat and get the bits out of my teeth with the toothpick. And there's still tools left! :D

That's probably the most horrific, yet perfectly parallel analogy I've ever constructed. Just for the record, I don't shank people or consume the flesh of my species, but hopefully the comparison makes sense. Honestly, as long as you use something Gecko-based, I'm tickled pink. And I promise, as soon as I have a capable build box, I'll get the whole gammut running again. I liked providing builds for everyone, and adding one extra build with 10.2 support wouldn't be a big deal if I was already doing four builds a night.

I think I'll try to stick with a weekly trunk and branch builds on 7450 for the moment, as much as possible. Hopefully I can remember to just get my Powerbook out on Friday morning and set it up at work and let it crank away on the two builds.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I saw that they froze the tree for Beta 2 today, so I built a branch build, which should be a G4 optimized Beta 2. Enjoy, friends.

http://www.furbism.com/firefoxmac/build ... -BETA2.dmg
alangenh

Post by alangenh »

First, thanks so much, elfurbe, for the builds! I've been using your September branch build for a while, and I love it. (It's so much faster than the default 1.0 version on my aging titanium powerbook.)

But -- I just tried your Beta 2, and now I'm having issues. Is there documentation somewhere on how to backtrack versions? I should have researched these things before I installed, yes, but I didn't do my homework. Some of my extensions aren't working now, and arronax's themes are broken. When I try opening the September build, the themes and extensions still show up as unavailable. Re-downloading and installing them doesn't fix it either. I can't even find where it's storing my extensions and themes; I don't see them in /user/library/mozilla/profiles/user/randomstring/.

I did save a copy of my profile directory but replacing it doesn't seem to be fixing things. Do you know how I can backtrack to a previous version, or hack the extensions and things to work in 1.5b2?

Thanks!
alangenh

Post by alangenh »

I think I've got things back to normal now. My biggest problem was that I'd been stupidly looking in /user/library/mozilla/profiles instead of /user/library/application\ support/firefox/profiles. Anyway, I'm back to normal now.

Really appreciate your builds! Thanks!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Hey, I'm glad you got that straightened out!

Hopefully Beta2 is working well for everyone.
mbtoloczko

Post by mbtoloczko »

elfurbe wrote:I saw that they froze the tree for Beta 2 today, so I built a branch build, which should be a G4 optimized Beta 2. Enjoy, friends.

Any chance you could make optimized G3 and 7400 builds of beta 2?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Perhaps. I'll see about it.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Ok, late but done.

7400 (beta 2):

G3 (beta 2):

Enjoy! I hope they work well!
mbtoloczko

Post by mbtoloczko »

elfurbe wrote:Ok, late but done.

7400 (beta 2):

G3 (beta 2):

Enjoy! I hope they work well!

Thanks for making the builds! Unfortunately, the G3 build does not work on my G3 powerbook, and the G4 build does not work on my G4 powerbook. In both instances, FX stalls during the first launch when its checking the existing extensions. Cancelling out causes FX to quit, and then it will not launch after that.