[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
darm1k

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Post by darm1k »

Using a stopwatch while running the Acid3 test works well for benchmarking on both my 300-MHz Smurf and 1.5 GHz PB G4.

The release Firefox is always the slowest browser.

Then your and RPM's optimized builds flip-flop against Safari/WebKit, from week to week, for the title...

- Dan.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

elfurbe wrote:3.5rc2s are up!

The G3 build is still broken.

Link (dyld) error:
incompatible cpu-subtype

- Dan.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Freakin' eh.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I started another build, it'll replace the FXG3-3.5rc2.dmg file when it finishes. Download it again in an hour or so and see if it looks any different.

::sigh::
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

No joy; same error.

Tried all three:
FXG3-3.5rc2.dmg
FXG3-3.5pre-2009.06.25.dmg
FXG3-3.6a1pre-2009.06.25.dmg
rampancy

Post by rampancy »

Your Firefox 3.5 final build for the G3 isn't actually the 3.5 final - it's a 3.5.1pre build which doesn't even launch on the machine I'm testing it on (800 Mhz G3 iBook w/640 MB RAM, 10.4.11).
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

incompatible cpu-subtype

on the G3 builds still.
payeco

Post by payeco »

I have the same issue. The Intel build which is supposed to be 3.5 final is 3.5.1pre.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I just noticed the Intel build is showing that, but I checked it out with the FIREFOX_3_5_RELEASE tag, so I'm not sure what the jive is. I'll check it out and see what's what. I may run them again for fun and profit.

I just plain do not know what to do about the G3 builds. I'm pulling all my optimization flags and changing the compiler back to gcc-4.0 from 4.2. We'll see what that does, I guess. I don't want you G3 guys to think I don't care that your builds don't work, I just don't know what the heck is wrong with them.
darm1k

Post by darm1k »

rpm has builds that runs on a G3. Perhaps a comparison of the flags you're each using might help?

We really do appreciate your efforts, btw. Aside from this g3 bump, we've been using your builds on quite a few machines. Ah. The need for speed. :)
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I'm rebuilding the 3.5 builds, hopefully they'll indicate their version properly this time... The G3 build will use gcc-4.0 which I've decided is a likely culprit. I left the optimization flags in so it won't be wasted effort if it works.
rampancy

Post by rampancy »

Thanks for the effort - I really appreciate it! It's really nice to see you taking the time and effort to support people with aging G3 Macs. I do have access to newer hardware, it's just that I can't bear to part with this little 12" iBook, even if it is just a matter of time before it dies from the dreaded BGA GPU problem.

On a related note, do you know why your 3.5 build is marked as 3.5.1pre?

EDIT: I downloaded and tried out your new PPC 750 3.5 build - it's still marked as 3.5.1pre, but it works perfectly, and in my informal testing it's significantly faster than the G3 optimized version of Camino that I use on sites with heavy JavaScript. Again, thanks for everything you've done!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

So I guess I just can't build G3 builds with gcc-4.2. Weird, but at least it's figured out.

I rechecked-out and rebuilt against the FIREFOX_3_5_RELEASE tag (http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla- ... _5_RELEASE) and they still say 3.5.1pre. I do not know what the deal is, but I assure everyone I built against the 3.5 release source files...
rampancy

Post by rampancy »

elfurbe wrote:I rechecked-out and rebuilt against the FIREFOX_3_5_RELEASE tag (http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla- ... _5_RELEASE) and they still say 3.5.1pre. I do not know what the deal is, but I assure everyone I built against the 3.5 release source files...

That is strange, but that definitely seems to be the case, as I also downloaded and tried out RPMozley's G3 FF3.5 build and it too had the version number "3.5.1pre".

Oh, and I know you're probably busy and all, but it might be a good idea to update the release notes on your build page at furbism.com - it's rather odd to see you refer to FF1.5.x.x. as "current"... ;)