[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Dru

Post by Dru »

Well I've used your builds for a little while and I have to say they're brill :)

I got sort of inspired to start building myself but since building on windows x64 just wasn't happening I built my own for the mac instead. I used your mozconfig (buit added the G4 7450 optimisation by default) and it's running excellently! So I guess thanks for posting your mozconfig too mate.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz | 1.5Gb | OS X 10.4.8
CreativeFlux
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

2005.08.31 (7450 only)

Ask and ye shall receive, I have posted a build for today made on my venerable powerbook. I have also succeeded in getting my shell scripts rewritten and am working on finding a machine to hijack for my nefarious ends to build my firefoxes every night. This will soon come to fruition, I assure you. Hopefully I'll be back in business soon. Until that time, enjoy today's goodness.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

thanks a lot!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

no problem. Hope it works better!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

For anyone who downloaded my 09.01 builds while they were posted, they were branch builds by accident. I'm not sure how the error happened, but they were intended to be trunk builds, as usual. I've removed them, not because I'm against branch necessarily, but just to maintain consistency between all my builds. If you're currently using and enjoying the branch build, awesome. Just don't expect any more anytime soon. :)
Dru

Post by Dru »

Does anyone build optimised G4 branch builds regularly?? I only ask because the builds that I make for myself are off the branch and also optimised for the G4 so I could perhaps release my builds for anyone who wants/prefers branch.
CreativeFlux
reeper

mac branch build

Post by reeper »

Dru wrote:Does anyone build optimised G4 branch builds regularly?? I only ask because the builds that I make for myself are off the branch and also optimised for the G4 so I could perhaps release my builds for anyone who wants/prefers branch.

I think it would be great for there to be a regular G4 branch build. I use the trunk for daily use but during the rocky period the trunk is in right now I like to switch back and forth to compare and see what kind of divergence/progress is occurring. Plus, I can't seem to get greasemonkey working on the trunk currently.

so, just what tools are required to make one's own build. I've been using other peoples optimized builds, mac and PC, for at least two years now and it might be nice to give it a try myself. Any good newbie resources recommended?
Dru

Post by Dru »

I just followed the instructions that were on the mozilla site. Building on the mac is sooo much easier than on windows I have to say! You shouldn't have too much of a problem if you just take it slow and read everything properly :) If you have any problems then I don't mind helping you with anything.

*runs off to whip up a build*
CreativeFlux
phiw13

Re: mac branch build

Post by phiw13 »

reeper wrote:so, just what tools are required to make one's own build. I've been using other peoples optimized builds, mac and PC, for at least two years now and it might be nice to give it a try myself. Any good newbie resources recommended?

I you want to build on Mac, have a look at all the work done by krmathis (aka powerbook) in this thread. I believe, elfurbe mostly follows those for his trunk builds.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

More or less to the letter. It's really not too hard. I can summarize real quick:

Install all this stuff:
1. Apple Developer Tools (http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html).
You want XCode 2.1. It has the newer GCC that works properly, as well as the 10.4.0u SDK.
2. Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net), then set up your Fink environment.
Get the installer and run it. After it's done, pop up a terminal and run:
$ fink selfupdate
$ fink update-all
If fink doesn't seem to work, add the following line to your ~/.bashrc, then restart Terminal:
source /sw/bin/init.sh
3. Orbit (Contains required libIDL headers), enter password when prompted.
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install orbit
$ sudo apt-get install orbit-dev
$ sudo apt-get install glib
$ sudo apt-get install zip unzip
4. Shared Menus Framework. (ftp://ftp.url-manager.com/pub/SharedMenusCocoa.dmg.bin)
Copy the SharedMenusCocoa.framework folder from the SharedMenusCocoa/build folder to /Library/Frameworks.
5. pkgconfig build tool (used by the cairo renderer configuration script)
$ sudo apt-get install pkgconfig

That's all the pre-game. Then do this for branch:

Have a .mozconfig file to your home directory or in your source directory, then execute the following commands:
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot
cvs login (only needed the first time)
cvs co -r MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH mozilla/client.mk mozilla/browser/config
cd mozilla/
make -f client.mk
make -C browser/installer/

That's pretty much straight out of Powerbook's instructions, and it works like a charm.
Post back if you have any trouble.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

any updates coming soon?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I wish I could say yes, but at the moment I'm still stuck with naught but my Powerbook for building, which I don't really like doing. I build one every once in a while on my PB, but not regularly. Too much heat, makes me nervous. I am actively combing all the resources available to me at the U to scavange up a good G4 or G5 to do my dirty work.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Two new builds posted for 7450:

2005.09.16 = trunk build
2005.09.18.BRANCH = branch build

Enjoy the goodness!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

New Branchy goodness!

2005.09.26.BRANCH

I will post a trunk build later today.
Last edited by elfurbe on September 27th, 2005, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost User 166223

Post by Lost User 166223 »

If it's not too much to ask, could you include 10.2 support in your builds? drumsticks mentioned in the OS X Builders Unite thread that building using an older version of GCC would be needed, but I don't know how much extra effort that would need on your part...