I want to build my own browser with firefox code

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
COD3

I want to build my own browser with firefox code

Post by COD3 »

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. I want to build a browser stringing together code myself. To make things easy for me I intend to use an opensource project as foundation and just bring in my own code. I have laid out a workflow for the project (stages, coding and all). Is there any map/blueprint that details the entire firefox source? Is there any guide on how to do what I intend to do? There are docs available for such things if one is looking to build using chrome source code. I'll be building on windows, using NetBeans IDE. Where do I start in terms of taking code out and putting them into my project. I know like other software firefox is collection of files and folders, coupled with other functionalities.

Do I get the source code from git, openhub or do I just use the code from a downloaded copy. Which is better: get firefox and take out the parts I need and bring them into my project (copy code and paste it in) or get firefox and knock of the unwanted parts (just delete certain code). I intend to use Java, will that be possible?

As an example: torch browser is a chrome-based browser. I want to build a modern browser and say its a firefox-based browser. or do I just opt for chrome instead?
WaltS48

Re: I want to build my own browser with firefox code

Post by WaltS48 »

You might want to start here.

Build Instructions - Mozilla | MDN
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
COD3

Post by COD3 »

WLS wrote:You might want to start here.

Build Instructions - Mozilla | MDN
Sorry I took long to get back.

I am fully aware of this information provided by Mozilla and I have been going through the texts in that particular documentation. I still have some other questions.

Now the thing is I'm not trying to make a browser for my personal use. I'm looking to create a browser that will be available for users to download and use as they would any other "commercial" browser out there.

Next if I'm gonna be using opensource code to some extent, how much of the finished work can I claim is actually mine and own a copyright and patent for?

I know how to code but I'm still new to navigating around Firefox code. Are there people out there that a completely conversant with Firefox's codebase, people I can contact, people that will be willing to work on this type of project?

I am looking to arrive at, at least a working beta version within the shortest possible time (I know this is posible cos I have done so on previous projects).

Thank you in advance for useful answers.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Type about:license into the address bar. There you will find a link to MPL 2.0 FAQ — Mozilla and other information.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5