Light 46 cannot be set as default browser

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
bacounsel

Light 46 cannot be set as default browser

Post by bacounsel »

I am using Light 46 in portable mode on my Window 7 PC. I have set via Options > General to set Light as a default browser, but the setting failed. Light could not be set as default browser. I've tried the procedure several times but to no avail. I can confirm Light was the only browser running when I set it a default browser.

Please could you instruct me how to correct the problem? Thank you very much in advance.
DanRaisch

Re: Light 46 cannot be set as default browser

Post by DanRaisch »

The portable version can not set the default browser because it does not update Windows registry settings. It's the operating system and not the browser that actually makes that determination -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
bacounsel

Post by bacounsel »

I have also installed a firefoxportable, v42.0, of portableapps.com and it could readily set itself as default browser. So, I thought to myself, maybe, Light portable could function similarly.

Notwithstanding, I'll continue to use Light as I like it. Thanks to the developers for their dedicated efforts in bringing out Light.
sarifriathesylveon

Post by sarifriathesylveon »

try setting the executable for default open with for .htm/.html files and all associated protocols using the control panel item (i think it's called default programs?)
bacounsel

Post by bacounsel »

Thank you, sarifriathesylveon. I've just tried StartMenu > Default Programs. It happens that the availability of programs that can be associated with the FTP, HTTP, and HTTPS protocals is limited to Firefox and IE only. Light is not one of the selections from which the user can select. The user seems to be left with no other choice.

However, if I install Light normallly according to Windows requirements (i.e. not in portable mode), will this solve the problem so I can go about setting Light as my default browser via Light's Options > General menu?