Custom SeaMonkey Builds Needed.

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
iceninexp

Custom SeaMonkey Builds Needed.

Post by iceninexp »

Hey there;

I'm wondering the best place to find someone to compile some custom SeaMonkey builds. I'm responsible for a legacy web application that needs an older mozilla source and simply don't have the resources to compile everything I need. I've done a few simple builds and SeaMonkey just seems to be the best choice for cross platform support.

What I'm looking for:
  • Support for Windows XP through Windows 10 (32 bit and 64 bit) and Mac OS X
    Custom branding
    Support for Adobe Flash
    Updating of the browser disabled.
    Setting the default start page
    Restricted domains. The user will just be using the browser with the application
Should I just go out and look at the freelancing sites or is there a better option?

All information appreciated!

Thanks!
Anonymosity

Re: Custom SeaMonkey Builds Needed.

Post by Anonymosity »

The name SeaMonkey is trademarked, so you cannot call a custom branded version SeaMonkey.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/legal/
frg

Post by frg »

>> Support for Windows XP through Windows 10 (32 bit and 64 bit) and Mac OS X

In every SeaMonkey till 2.49. XP and Vista will be dropped from FF after or around 2.49 beta (Firefox 52). You can still use an ESR build till ESR 52 exipres.

>> Custom branding

Shouldn't be a problem if you don't call it SeaMonkey.

>> Support for Adobe Flash

Will be gone after 2.49 too and only kept for ESR 2.49.

>> Updating of the browser disabled.

Easy but you will need to patch the expiration routines or you will see a warning sign after a few months.

>> Setting the default start page

Easy. Doesn't need a custom version.

>> Restricted domains. The user will just be using the browser with the application

Was probably more or less easy with the just removed safebrowsing forbidden lists. Firefox just removed them in Bug 1274893 and SeaMonkey in Bug 1293104. You could add it back but it was never a supported feature for desktop browsers and might be easy to bypass (if it even does what you need).

>> Should I just go out and look at the freelancing sites or is there a better option?

I am sure there are not many SeaMonkey devs around. The project itself is currently only maintained by 10 people or so.

FRG
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Do you need a Windows 64-bit version? If not that might save you some time. I always just compile 32-bit for myself.
frg

Post by frg »

>> Do you need a Windows 64-bit version?

fwiw XP 64 / Server 2003 and Vista / Server 2008 x64 are not supported by the 64 Bit versions.
therube

Post by therube »

frg wrote: >> Support for Adobe Flash

Huh?
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... n-firefox/
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

Sorry you are right. Forgot that Flash was/is still allowed after FF 52. I think it will maybe last till the next ESR only.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

frg wrote: In every SeaMonkey till 2.49. XP and Vista will be dropped from FF after or around 2.49 beta (Firefox 52). You can still use an ESR build till ESR 52 exipres.

FRG
There are no ESR versions of SeaMonkey.
iceninexp

Post by iceninexp »

Thanks so much for the input FRG.

I'm looking at using older source to try and prevent any loss of support, at least for the time being. I pretty much want a 3 or 4 year old browser so it works with the legacy web application on most common operating systems, if that makes sense. The application I have inherited is going to take at least 2 years to rewrite and I need to keep the current customer base as happy as possible until I can roll out a new release.

Restricted domains and lack of browser updates... main reason for that is I don't want people using this browser for anything other than the application because of security issues. The application security (or content) I can control. If I'm using archive source hopefully those options will be available.

It won't be branded SeaMonkey.

I'm wondering if I should be looking for Firefox freelancers if there is a larger dev base?

Thanks again!
frg wrote:>> Support for Windows XP through Windows 10 (32 bit and 64 bit) and Mac OS X

In every SeaMonkey till 2.49. XP and Vista will be dropped from FF after or around 2.49 beta (Firefox 52). You can still use an ESR build till ESR 52 exipres.

>> Custom branding

Shouldn't be a problem if you don't call it SeaMonkey.

>> Updating of the browser disabled.

Easy but you will need to patch the expiration routines or you will see a warning sign after a few months.

>> Setting the default start page

Easy. Doesn't need a custom version.

>> Restricted domains. The user will just be using the browser with the application

Was probably more or less easy with the just removed safebrowsing forbidden lists. Firefox just removed them in Bug 1274893 and SeaMonkey in Bug 1293104. You could add it back but it was never a supported feature for desktop browsers and might be easy to bypass (if it even does what you need).

>> Should I just go out and look at the freelancing sites or is there a better option?

I am sure there are not many SeaMonkey devs around. The project itself is currently only maintained by 10 people or so.

FRG
iceninexp

Post by iceninexp »

I don't specifically need a 64 bit version if a 32 bit version will run correctly on 64 architecture. I had read somewhere that there were sometimes issues, but maybe that is not the case?
libertyernie wrote:Do you need a Windows 64-bit version? If not that might save you some time. I always just compile 32-bit for myself.
frg

Post by frg »

>> I pretty much want a 3 or 4 year old browser

Not a good idea. Not sure if you are able to compile and run it the latest macOS OSX versions. The Windows x86 version generally runs fine under the x64 versions. I would pick a current codebase. 2.47 or 2.48 should be ok.

The Engne for Firefox and SeaMonkey is Gecko so a Firefox dev should know what to do in the backend.

FRG