Split from [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
stewievader

Split from [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13

Post by stewievader »

If mozilla refuses to implement those API's would you consider continuing to maintain this addon on browsers that will continue to fully support xpcom/xul such as palemoon, currently typing this on palemoon with version 0.8.1.7 with 0 issues.

Apperently the waterfox devs also plan to fork from firefox after version 56 inorder to retain xpcom compatibility.
Brummelchen

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Post by Brummelchen »

who really cares about palemoon or waterfox in this forum?
palemoon is going servo+webextension because they can NOT maintain goanna after ESR has run dead and waterfox will do same.
they catch the code changes from ESR and implement them into current gecko but after ESR has died there are not fixes any longer, so palemoon and waterfox 56 are also dead. and that was realised for palemoon. as far i read they will offer for a limited time both versions.
stewievader

Post by stewievader »

Your probably about waterfox being only able to temporarily retain xpcom/xul compatibility via ESR, since its just a firefox clone with compiler tweaks and integrated ui addons, making them dead in the water once the 56 branch dies out.

Though id like to see a source on palemoon dropping xpcom in the future and switching to web extensions after the current ESR branch dies out. As far im aware the developers have no plans to replace xpcom/xul with webextensions, nor do they completely depend on firefox esr or mozillas release schedule due to being a much more distant fork with substantial code changes compared to waterfox.
avada

Post by avada »

stewievader wrote:Though id like to see a source on palemoon dropping xpcom in the future and switching to web extensions after the current ESR branch dies out. As far im aware the developers have no plans to replace xpcom/xul with webextensions, nor do they completely depend on firefox esr or mozillas release schedule due to being a much more distant fork with substantial code changes compared to waterfox.
They're not dropping in Pale Moon. They did a newer fork UXP (Unified XUL Platform), which also retains XUL addons, and they'll have a "new" browser atop it.
The Waterfox dev also claimed he'll retain XUL addon support. But didn't say how he plans on doing it.

He's just making crap up.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Brummelchen - Firefox ESR isn't going to be dead... :^o from where did you get these revelations...? [-X

What's more, backing out patches which removed something isn't that hard,
so other Firefox forks probably could support legacy extensions with having also WebExtensions support.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
smsmith

Re: Split from [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13

Post by smsmith »

Split this from the Session Manager topic as off-topic.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
stewievader

Post by stewievader »

Didnt mean for this to go off topic, was just wondering what happens if mozilla doesnt implement the necessary apis for session manager to function with web extensions. Would really hate to see my most used extension because dead in the water.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

It doesn't work in Firefox 57, as Mozilla removed used APIs by Session Manager and didn't implant yet any complete replacements in WebExtensions,
so if it won't be implanted, it still won't be working, simple as that.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
chronometric

Post by chronometric »

Brummelchen wrote:who really cares about palemoon or waterfox in this forum?
The probably usual answer "only the idiots" stopped being funny when I (and we) installed the beautiful Firefox 57 and found the complex UI we had used and helped develop for a decade had been gutted to keep the smartphone crowd from getting confused.

If it will allow me to keep using things like TST and tab groups, and of course session management tools that provide possibility for complexity, I will use any fork, or if Vivaldi turns out to be the only browser that allows advanced addons, then any browser.

stewievader wrote:Didnt mean for this to go off topic, was just wondering what happens if mozilla doesnt implement the necessary apis for session manager to function with web extensions. Would really hate to see my most used extension because dead in the water.
The inevitably immediate answer is that, like many of our most cherished addons, they will not work. However, that doesn't mean they never will again. If you go back to the bust list http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14765362 and actually read them, you will find the devs dependent upon meetings and immediate goals vs. future possibilities, sometimes suggesting a roadmap or a workaround. Gives the process more life and helps understand what might happen a little better
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Does Vivaldi support advanced addons? I know they have a lot of features but I dodn't think their extension system was any different from Chrome's.
avada

Post by avada »

isaacschemm wrote:Does Vivaldi support advanced addons? I know they have a lot of features but I dodn't think their extension system was any different from Chrome's.
It isn't, it's identical.
Last edited by avada on September 13th, 2017, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

avada wrote:
isaacschemm wrote:Does Vivaldi support advanced addons? I know they have a lot of features but I dodn't think their extension system was any different from Chrome's.
It isn't it's identical.
So identical that using Tools -> Extensions, Get more extensions takes you here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.