plugin-container.exe Question

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Enquireing

plugin-container.exe Question

Post by Enquireing »

Hello i am considering using Mozilla code in a project i am working on but i have some questions first.

When it comes to loading a NPAPI plugin where does plugin-container.exe end and seamonkey begin?

Would i be able to use plugin-container in a program that is not really a browser?

it would be strictly limited to handling items contained in Object, Applet tags etc if i put in any real HTML support, my intention is to run plugins outside the browser after support is dropped since they seldom rely on anything in the HTML after the plugin has launched.

An advantage to using a preexisting modal as is or slightly modified versions would be the availability of new versions with security updates, but would it be worth it in lieu of having the system more closely embedded into my app or is there a better choice?

what other modals would i need to transplant / modify to get this to work,

P.S.

In addition to C and C++ Could i use this in Lazarus, Free basic, etc or would there be too much code to translate for that to be feasible
I already have a program using ActiveX but Java doesn't work Shockwave is a pain in the arse and things like Monk-e-mail doesn't load fully

To anyone who shrieks at the mere mention of using a plugin relax the internet isnt going to return to 2001 because somebody can play an old flash, shockwave or java game/movie
and YES i will be adding security features such as not automatically opening Urls but saving the link if you chose to go there and restricting its internet access if the file is untrusted unless you disable this this is purely a matter of software preservation.

if the program works well i may Taylor it to work with something like this https://github.com/copy/v86 + http://www.litepc.com/(but with Wine, ROS or Linux etc) like a Win32 version dosbox thus security issues would be negated due to the self contained nature of these
Enquireing

Re: plugin-container.exe Question

Post by Enquireing »

Nobody has said anything but a few have read this,i probably didn't make much sense so i am just adding a bit more.
i wanted to know if i could use Plugin-container.exe to embed NPAPI plugins into an app.

Would i be able to use this component or would i have to use a different part of the browsers code

Strangely enough there was a program Microsoft made to do this (Discontinued after 98se i believe) but it could be used without even having a browser on your computer .

I have a screenshot here of Plugin.ocx in an IDE and an error message from it for illustrative purposes.
https://imgsafe.org/image/6b69dccb6b
How would i use Mozilla plugin system in an app without much else over
as i said before
When it comes to loading a NPAPI plugin where does plugin-container.exe end and SeaMonkey begin?