Pre-Quantum other than Waterfox with July 2018+ updates?

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
c627627

Pre-Quantum other than Waterfox with July 2018+ updates?

Post by c627627 »

After the last security update to Fx ESR 52 in June, will there be anything else with July 2018 and beyond updates on which pre-Quantum extensions will still work?

It has been posted on the forums that Waterfox will be the only browser where we could still use pre-Quantum extensions on, and have it security patched with July 2018 and beyond updates.
Just making sure nothing else exists in preparation for FX 52 ESR End of Life.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
Frank Lion

Re: Pre-Quantum other than Waterfox with July 2018+ updates?

Post by Frank Lion »

c627627 wrote:It has been posted on the forums that Waterfox will be the only browser where we could still use pre-Quantum extensions on, and have it security patched with July 2018 and beyond updates
Maybe for a month or two until it bases, as planned, off Firefox 60.

In fairness to the Waterfox guy, he's been upfront about plans, albeit sufficiently vague that some people just fill in their own blanks and believe whatever they wanted to believe.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I see thank you.

So since Fx60 is Quantum, old extensions incompatible with Quantum would be killed... Thank you.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

@c627627

Well the Pale Moon guys have that Basilisk browser.
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/29/re-ba ... -released/

It's a reworking of Firefox ESR v52. I had some issues getting it to run, so I gave up on it quickly. However, the MSFN team (a fellow named Roytam1) has been working on an XP/Vista compatible version of Basilisk (in x86 and x64) that work equally well on newer systems. It's received some praise.

So there is another option. It appears it's better than a hit-and-miss chance that Basilisk will run your XUL add-ons. Something to try I guess.

I'm gearing up to go Quantum on my new system, so my sights are set in a different direction. I wish you luck though
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
mozray

Post by mozray »

Use an unofficial Seamonkey 2.53 build. (A quick Google search will tell you which one to use.)
That uses Firefox 56 as a base.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Thank you, What security patches are present in Seamonkey 2.53 build that are better than security patches in Firefox ESR 52.9.0?
In other words, the measuring standard is to have pre-Quantum [Pre Fx57] extensions working on a product with best security patches. That product was Fx 52.9.0 until recently. Has that changed?
[Because Firefox ESR 52.9 has newer/better security patches than Firefox 56 does.]
frg

Post by frg »

2.49.5 is basically at gecko 62 level wrt sec patches. Aim is to be at latest ESR 60 level when we release it unless 2.57 is ready by then (unlikely).
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/

2.53 is still missing 12 patches to be on par with ESR 52.9.0 but surpasses it in other areas (current ICU, NSS and skia) . This is mostly my personal project on the way to 2.57. Unfortunately works too well so I am neglecting contributing to 2.57 somewhat :) My goal is to have ESR60 parity too.
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

Bill publishes all patches which are applied on his website. You can also build Fx and TB with them if you want. If you find a test that is broken please let me know.

FRG
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Thank you. When you mention the term ESR60, that means Quantum-based Firefox.
However the entire topic, in this specific case of this thread, is to have a pre-Quantum browser *on which old extensions work* and then to have the best patches possible on it.

So in other words no Quantum, because that would automatically mean old extensions do not work on it, which is the *entire* point, (much) more important than security,
and then and only _if_ old extensions work on it, then we compare security to FX 52.9.0 and if it is better, then we'd like to switch because why not, if old extensions work on it and it has better security than Fx 52.9.0.

The rest of it is great... but if old extensions don't work, we automatically think, what's the point, might as well use modern Firefox.
In (hopefully many) years when FX 52.9 stops working on web sites, it would be nice to have an alternative but I am not really sure if that's realistic to hope for.
The most confusing thing about this topic is:
is it even possible to have a pre-Quantum custom browser with better security than 52.9.0? Do creators of different browsers even make security patches which don't already exist on Fx 52.9.0?
frg

Post by frg »

> When you mention the term ESR60, that means Quantum-based Firefox.

No it just means the same security level if possible. The term Quantum is more a marketing gimmick. 56 was already close to 57. 57 just has a revamped interface and with this release Mozilla started ripping out old code needed to support classic extensions and some other things no longer be worthy in the eyes of the Mozilla gods. Who e.g. needs rss and ftp these days whith shiny new cloud and push features... Only in later releases the style code was rewritten in rust. Webrender is not activated till 64.

Even on current ESR60 classic extensions could run but some parts were already taken out. TB 60 is at this level.

FRG