The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
James

Re: Mozilla forums

Post by James »

grahamperrin wrote:Thanks, and for people who may be unaware of this:

https://discourse.mozilla.org/
The SUMO I mentioned is the acronym for SUpport.Mozilla.Org which is a first search engines results for Mozilla forums and Firefox forums.

Are you thinking people can go discourse.mozilla.org for support of Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey ?
seedy

Re: The End

Post by seedy »

Thank you.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Jason,

Thanks for the last 17 years. I have been pleasantly surprised that the MozillaZine fora has lasted this long, I fully expected it to die off after Mozilla opened SUMO 12 years ago. The lack of the internal link inside the Help menu item of Firefox could have been the beginning of the end, but the fine support contributors here and the depth of their knowledge with Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Thunderbird has kept the MozillaZine fora going this long.

That said, perhaps the "solution" posted by Frank Lion about OSL Managed Hosting could be considered, rather than locking MozillaZine fora as an archive?

And BTW, SUMO is slowly withering away "as we speak". Some days SUMO gets more complaints about the format of their "fora" as the primary reason for Firefox users to sign up than SUMO gets actual support questions, what with the lengthy route for a new user to actually request support for their Firefox questions.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

Thanks mate I've learned a lot for the fifteen years I been around here.
Hate to see it go away. Good luck! =D>
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Its going to be a sad day when it closes as I have made some lifelong friends through the forums and basically like many old timers Mozillazine is pretty much the first site opened in the morning. Thanks to all the Mods and Kerz been a hell of a ride

One thing I would ask Kerz if its possible and that is to give 24 hours notice so we can say our goodbyes
Last edited by malliz on September 21st, 2019, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
winapp2

Post by winapp2 »

Yikes! This is terrible news :(

Happy to have been a part of this community; I hope my days as changelog keeper will be fondly remembered :mrgreen:
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Frank's suggestion of using OSL's managed hosting makes a lot of sense. Kerz has been extremely hands off most of the time. We could get by with an admin that mainly just chose replacement moderators as needed. I wish he had discussed his plans beforehand with the moderators.

I'll miss this community.
James

Post by James »

Yes the OSL managed hosting could be a really good option.

This forums has been a HUGE help with the Nightly builds in Firefox Builds in tracking changelog and bugs and for the SeaMonkey community to have a place to get help. At least Mozilla has been generous in giving a place on SUMO at support.mozilla.org for Thunderbird users for over five years (since February 21 2014) even though Thunderbird was not a Mozilla product now.
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

Oh well so sad to read this. I've been absent for a couple of years (yes because life after university takes time). This was my first forum ever and also where I enjoyed the most to read and post.

Let's hope the alternative Frank posted is viable, otherwise I'll be lurking on Reedit (I rather Reddit than SUMO).

P.S. Thanks to all the team supporting these forums for the last 17 years!
"I love God, He's my favourite fictional character." - Homer J. Simpson
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

I wanted to thank you all for your help over the years. I'm hoping that a solution arrives that will keep the forums alive.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

:(
Still, any way to keep forums running?
manto

Post by manto »

I'm not active on this forum but I've linked to and consulted your wiki an immense number of times. Thank you for so many years of free service.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Sorry to hear this. Thank you, Kerz.

I'll monitor this thread to see if it gets switched over to OSL managed hosting.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

tanstaafl wrote:Frank's suggestion of using OSL's managed hosting makes a lot of sense. Kerz has been extremely hands off most of the time. We could get by with an admin that mainly just chose replacement moderators as needed. I wish he had discussed his plans beforehand with the moderators.

I'll miss this community.
I'll second tanstaafl's comments. The board could continue with minimal admin involvement and OSL's managed hosting could be a reasonable alternative to shutting things down. Perhaps give that a try for a time before making a final decision.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

This forum helped me a lot.
And thank you for the maintenance for a really long time.