Ted's PGO build

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:By "No bookmarks" I assume you mean on a fresh profile? That's filed, I see that with trunk builds too. Not sure what you mean by "navigation not working", I haven't extensively tested it, but I'm able to browse around with it and I don't see anything obviously wrong.
Just tried it using a new profile & copying my bookmarks.html file to it. While I had bookmarks, the bookmarks toolbar is empty, and also noticed the back/forward buttons don/t work. Otherwise it.s pretty fast.

Forgot to say you're previous build works fine & fast, no problems at all. ;)
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

This is good testing, this is why we want to get it turned on for nightlies ASAP, because it can expose existing bugs in unfortunate ways.
trieste

Post by trieste »

I used it for my existing profile.

It initially opened fine (with 2 existing tabs), and when I opened a new tab with the purpose of going to another website, it crashed. Crash Reporter immediately opened. In total I think about 5 crash reports were sent as the build failed to open for 4 restarts. When it finally worked, the bookmarks menu had been cleared with even the 3 root folders displaying (no title). Thankfully I had the sense to export my bookmarks first.

The crash had caused 2 places.sqlite-corrupt to appear in my profile folder. I replaced the sterile places.sqlite with the larger 'corrupt' one with no incident in the end.

I had first decided to replace the experimental PGO build with the 20080226 nightly that fixed Bug 419152, but that caused the bookmarks menu to become unresponsive (cannot load bookmarks from left-click, middle-click gives a JavaScript popup error), though still intact. Reverting to the 20080224 build with the bilinear zoom patch returned everything back to sanity.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Sounds like sqlite is pretty unhappy with the PGO in this build. Thanks for the testing, sorry about your profile! We may have to disable PGO on sqlite before we get this turned on for real, at least until the bugs are shaken out of it.
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

Bookmarks will not show up from an existing profile that already works with your other build. :(
- Sammo -
trieste

Post by trieste »

No worries Ted, nothing much went wrong with the profile, importing bookmarks.html did the trick.

Really appreciate all the effort you and the rest are putting into this getting PGO up and running!
J.Yousey

Post by J.Yousey »

Why is it that, when I attempt to download either of the win32 builds: upon initiation of the download, I have a split file, which doesn't merge upon completion? (and get an error stating that I should try a reinstall, after clicking Firefox.exe)

Edited to add: OK- I found a work around by using "Download Express" download manager for this unique site specific problem for me & I'm testing the first build, now :)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008022517 Minefield/3.0b4pre
XP pro, P4, Minefield
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Tonight's respin was built with PGO. Looks like we finally got it in!
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

Ted, are there bugs filed for sqlite and the other modules which break with PGO enabled?
swsnyder

Post by swsnyder »

Another data point. Win32 build using MozillaBuild v1.2 on a Win2K/SP4 system.

Pulled the trunk of SeaMonkey 2.0.apre1 around noon on 27 Feb. Built according to Ted's doc. The compile/link/profile/relink/packaging sequence seemed to work correctly, but SeaMonkey crashed on start-up. (At the end of the installation you are asked if you want to start SM now. It crashed during this start-up. It also crashed at running from the desktop icon.)

Erased the @OBJDIR, rebuilt normally ("build" target, not "profilebuild") and all is well.

FYI.
Ken_F

Post by Ken_F »

Here's a screenshot showing the performance improvement with Ted's PGO Firefox 3.0b4 build over tete's PGO Firefox 3.0b3 with SSE3 optimizations.

The latest Firefox 3.0b4 build (Feb 28) did the same benchmark in 2184ms, although it is 10-20% slower in bits-in-byte, bitwise-and, recursive, and format-xparb.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

swsnyder: would be interesting to rebuild that with debug symbols (set MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS=1 in your mozconfig) and get a stack, to find out where it's crashing. Wouldn't surprise me if SeaMonkey has some modules of its own that are fragile to PGO. We can turn those off in their respective Makefiles till they get sorted out.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I got a PGO build to roll on my G4 Mac. It's got pretty straight-forward GCC options on it (-Os -mcpu=7450 -faltivec), I built against the 10.5 SDK, and it seems to run like a champ. So much snappier than my previous 2.0.0.12 build.

One problem I ran into. I used the python script referenced in the doc, but it seemed to cause a hang in the browser when it launched, so I had to force-quit Minefield at which point the build routine happily continued, did a clean and a rebuild. There was some mention of a crash in the terminal I think but I wasn't logging the output so once it scrolled by it was gone. Anyway, it did produce a working appbundle, so if nothing, it failed very gracefully. I'm wondering if that experience where the profile-generating browser hangs is known or if that's my own special problem?
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

elfurbe: yeah, I haven't got PGO actually working on Mac yet, my profiled builds also hang on startup. We might have to limit the modules where it's enabled. Rob Sayre told me he got a PGO build working with it enabled in just spidermonkey, so that might be a good place to start. You can follow along in bug 419348.
bernano397

Post by bernano397 »

Hi!
Is there somebody working on builds for OS X?
Thanks,
Bernhard