Ted's PGO build

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Ken_F

Post by Ken_F »

Ted,

Would you consider building a SSE2 version with /arch: SSE2 ?
matias

Post by matias »

Ted, could you make a new build with lastest trunk please? ... some pages doesn't look and work as it should (example: deluge-torrent.org ... some options on top menu are broken)
Thanks!.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Ken_F: I'm pretty busy doing other work, so I don't have time to produce custom builds. I made these while working on the build patches to get this into the tree. I wrote that MDC document above, so anyone who can build Mozilla should be able to easily produce custom builds with PGO now. You might ask someone who already produces such builds.

matias: Rob Sayre just checked in a tinderbox config patch to enable PGO on nightly builds and clobbered, so tonight's respin and tomorrow's nightly should be PGOed, unless something goes wrong!
matias

Post by matias »

I'm happy to read this Ted.
Thanks so much!.
Greetings.
orizng

Post by orizng »

any chance for a mac build?

also, are these changes going to be incorporated into official build by firefox 3?
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Mac builds are...hard. I tried, but I haven't yet successfully produced one. I may revisit this at some point, but it's not likely to make Firefox 3.

We're trying to get this enabled on Linux and Win32 nightlies, you can follow along in bugs 418866 and 418865, respectively.
reeper

Post by reeper »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:
matias: Rob Sayre just checked in a tinderbox config patch to enable PGO on nightly builds and clobbered, so tonight's respin and tomorrow's nightly should be PGOed, unless something goes wrong!

Hi,

does this mean that PGO is enabled on nightlies on an ongoing basis now or would it just have been from the nightly from the 24th?

thanks
OldSkoOL

Post by OldSkoOL »

reeper wrote:
Ted Mielczarek wrote:

Hi,

does this mean that PGO is enabled on nightlies on an ongoing basis now or would it just have been from the nightly from the 24th?

thanks

It says in that bug thread

"1) This is being proposed for nightly/clobber builds, as well as
hourly/incremental builds as well as release builds."

Suggesting that if fully working - all mentioned versions will be built with it.
tqft

Post by tqft »

Will report on building ff PGO myself eventually.

Ran last night, did the profile building this morning as per instructions linked on prev page, build failed due to jemalloc error. tried again this morning won't get as far as starting ff in the build process (or does it only do this once?)

gcc specs in case it helps as per bug suggestion

ian@tqft:/media/sdb2/mozilla$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

tqft: right, see the bug, I just checked in a fix for that.

PGO is not enabled for any official nightlies right now. We tried but backed it out. You can see the bugs I mentioned above for details.

Also, I had to do some testing, and wound up with another PGOed Win32 build:
http://people.mozilla.com/~tmielczarek/ ... .win32.zip

Consider it a freebie :-)

It's not profiled the same as the previous build, so perf characteristics may vary.
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:tqft: right, see the bug, I just checked in a fix for that.

PGO is not enabled for any official nightlies right now. We tried but backed it out. You can see the bugs I mentioned above for details.

Also, I had to do some testing, and wound up with another PGOed Win32 build:
http://people.mozilla.com/~tmielczarek/ ... .win32.zip

Consider it a freebie :-)

It's not profiled the same as the previous build, so perf characteristics may vary.

This one crashes and burns. :(
- Sammo -
jimhsu77479

Fast!

Post by jimhsu77479 »

I had to create an account to post this, but wow this build (OP) is fast.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Sammo: it WFM, but it crashes on shutdown. Probably the same sqlite crash.
Sammo

Post by Sammo »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Sammo: it WFM, but it crashes on shutdown. Probably the same sqlite crash.

Hi Ted,

It seems to have the same problem that tete's early build had - no bookmarks, navigation not working right, etc.
- Sammo -
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

By "No bookmarks" I assume you mean on a fresh profile? That's filed, I see that with trunk builds too. Not sure what you mean by "navigation not working", I haven't extensively tested it, but I'm able to browse around with it and I don't see anything obviously wrong.